Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 07:39 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times

Advertisements

That's the best way to figure it out! I sincerely hope you find what you seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 10:26 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
24 years of SLC was way more than enough for me. Now it's fully infested with gangs, drug issues (it's a hub for the Seneloa Cartel out of Mexico), horrific traffic issues fostered by some of the country's worst drivers. Very hot in the summer, especially for several weeks in August where 105 is pretty consistent. The LDS thing is all about where you settle there. For sure you won't want to be in the likes of a Provo, Orem or Lehi and such loaded with LDS to the max. For that matter most of the south end of the valley is solid LDS as well. Coeur d' Alene is pretty but as it is known the toxins that lie on the bottom of that amazing lake were placed there by the excessive mining east of there sadly. Kind of like the pollution of the water and land fostered by the Kennicott Copper exploits of the last hundred years in the Salt Lake Valley. Their winter inversions are equivalent to Bejing so take a pass on that. Boise is more about the areas outside of the city, more so then IN it. The downtown is rather refreshing however I'd agree. It's the places an hour in each direction that make it a good hub for activities. I chose a more rural area near the Thousand Springs area heading toward Twin Falls. The people are great and so far the winter has been near non existent which is how I like it

Old 02-25-2020, 09:28 AM

Seriously dcisive.. and honestly not trying to be critical... But why should someone reject CDA due to the mining deposits/outwash that you refer to? What problems are showing up exactly?

IMHO, it would be more helpful to others to know the actual issue details, rather than make a broad negative statement based on personal viewpoint.

This seems like a reasonable synopsis of the situation there at this time:
https://semspub.epa.gov/work/10/100066364.pdf

Old 02-25-2020, 04:45 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
I just made a rather simple comment of fact regarding the sediment of the lake in Coeur D' Alene. It's a beautiful area no question about it. I'm not aware of the drinking water having issues from former mining so you'd have to delve deeper into their water department for that one. The areas north of CDA are even more stunning.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:18 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Boise will have more national companies above the typical job market.

CDA is only about a half hour to Spokane if concerts or late night clubbing is an interest.

CDA would probably be the better choice if lake activities are a priority.

There is usually a substantial difference in average snowfall & persistence if that matters.

Boise metro has 50k plus college students. CDA has 15-20% of that. But they both have about 21% of the population in the 21-34 years age bracket.

If working / playing in a big downtown is important, try Boise. If you don't really want a big city, then maybe try CDA or somewhere else.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-25-2020 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-26-2020, 01:58 PM

And the Boise area is gonna be drier and sunnier.... winters sound like they are quite a bit cloudier up in northern ID. But coming from MN, the OP may not see much winter-time difference. between there and CdA... all the 'heart of the midwest' states (OH, IN, IL, most of MI & WI and much of MN, plus western PA and WV) have a lot cloudiness in winter..... you have to get up north of the Great Lakes and west of the 100th meridian to get out of it.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:43 PM

33 posts, read 17,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpaDeDerpDaDerp View Post

Hello,
I grew up in Eden Prairie, but I currently live in Red Wing, MN and it's too small and old of a town for me. I need to be surrounded by people closer to my age [28]. Red Wing just doesn't feel like home to me.
Living in Minnesota for the past twenty years and now, finally moving back home to Idaho this Spring,

I was wondering why you haven't thought about moving to Minneapolis or St. Paul, lots to do there, and not too far north, you have a lot of scenery, with lakes, and plenty of outdoor activities.

Its a melting pot of many cultures and diversity. There is a lot of night life for someone your age.

Quote:
I am most concerned about moving to SLC. As an atheist (scary), I am worried I may become annoyed by the LDS everywhere. I just do not want it shoved down my throat.

Salt Lake City isn't predominately LDS, its a mixture of a lot of people. Mormonism won't be crammed down your throat either. The LDS people aren't thinking, oh hey, there's another convert, and immediately send out their missionaries. They are people just like anyone else, who like to live near other LDS and like minded people. It's an International city, with an International airport and peoples of all kinds. Personally, its a little too dry, flat and not as green for my taste.

Quote:
Boise doesn't seem that scenic compared to CDA and SLC, but it's not bad from what I can tell.
Having lived in the Boise area, and Northern Eastern Idaho, I can tell you there is a lot of scenery, but it really depends on your preference. You have a mountain (Bogus Basin) right there, you have prairie, and farmland, take a trip to Idaho City and you have lots of greenery and forest, or go towards McCall where you will see breathtaking beauty. Head towards North Eastern Idaho towards the Tetons, and into Yellowstone.

Yes, Red Wing has lots of history, so does Boise, in the last twenty years it has grown quite a bit, but there is still a lot of history there with historical buildings. Its like a small town within a larger town.

Idaho has a lot to offer. Skiing, fishing, hiking, white water rafting, and yes snow. Younger people tend to migrate towards Boise. If you want a more liberal place to live, check out Seattle, or Portland.

Although, you would have to live with the rain.

Quote:
I know I need to visit these places first to make my decision, and that is what I intend to do this March, but if you had the choice, which place would you live?
The best advice I could give you, would be to sit down write out your preferences, what you like and don't like in a town. Check out cost of living, job opportunities, rental and housing costs, salaries vs salary in Minnesota (you'll notice a huge difference in salary and cost of living).

Then hop on a plane and fly out to each area that you are interested in.
Moving from Minnesota to Boise or SLC or even CDA, you will experience a bit of a culture shock.
Its like when Dorothy said, "We aren't in Kansas anymore."

Don't look at a place on paper and then decide that's where you move to. You may absolutely hate it.
Check it out first. Talk to the people who live there. Familiarize yourself a little and then make your decision.

My personal preference is Idaho. Close enough to Boise for the convenience, far enough from the traffic, but seriously, heavy traffic is nothing in Boise compared to hitting rush hour in the Twin Cities.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 13,681 times
Thank you for the thoughtful response HeartForIdaho.

I'm just at a point in my life that I would like a change of pace outside Minnesota. Now I'm trying to decide when I should visit these places. I want to check out Missoula and Bozeman as well, but I don't know if I should book a plane ride early Spring or sometime in late June/July if I want to visit Glacier and Yellowstone and do this all in one long trip. A good problem to have I suppose.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:04 PM

That's a good question. Early spring can still be somewhat wintery in a lot of those places in western MT and northern ID. I'd shoot for early June, to get ahead of the tourist rush in the parks. Or do both trips to see the seasonal difference in the regions; we've been out there in deep winter, full summer, and fall to do searches.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:12 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
That's a good question. Early spring can still be somewhat wintery in a lot of those places in western MT and northern ID. I'd shoot for early June, to get ahead of the tourist rush in the parks. Or do both trips to see the seasonal difference in the regions; we've been out there in deep winter, full summer, and fall to do searches.

Early spring is still considered winter in North Idaho! Going to the Sun Road (Glacier) may not be open in early June; sometimes it doesn't open until July 4. We were there in mid-June, and the ice walls along the mountain road were 6 ft tall. June can be beautiful in North Idaho, with all the lilacs--but it can also be chilly and wet. You never know. Go in early June, and you can get a taste of winter and spring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho