U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:21 AM

634 posts, read 2,202,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamatt View Post
Don't you have to be at least 13 to post on this site?
I know 40 year-olds who still talk like that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM

30 posts, read 124,534 times
Boy, after reading all these posts, I'm really undecided on where I want to live. My husband and I moved from San Diego to Lake Havasu and are ready for another change. We just chose Idaho by doing some research. We liked Pocatello because of the mountains and smaller city admosphere (although LHC is also only about 50+ people). I never considered religion a factor when I moved either until I started reading about the LDS - I don't care about LDS as long as they dont' care about me? I also like Idaho Falls, but again, my husband likes the hunting/fishing thing as well as the mtns, so we're back to Pocatello! So many decisions, I just hope we don't make the wrong one! We arent planning to escape time too soon and may even change our mind again, but I do want to thank everyone for their honesty in posting - it just makes it so hard to really KNOW what to expect!!!!!

I forgot to add, we both still need to work, so that is another thing we have to consider...of course, the economy right now is just not cooperating.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 PM

210 posts, read 895,629 times
You can't really go wrong with either city. Just go where you find a job.

Pocatello has slightly milder weather and closer access to the Mtns. I like being very close to the mountains.

Idaho Falls has slightly better paying jobs, and good access to the mtns. as well you just have to drive a little bit. LDS religion has slightly more influential in Idaho Falls, but for the most part it is live and let live in both cities. Shopping/retail is better in I.F., but Pocatello is getting a Costco.

Both ciites are around 50k, (more Ammon and Chubbuck) so it all depend on where you work and what you want to be close to.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 PM

108 posts, read 321,992 times
What would be better for a board game store?
Any cute downtowns or shopping areas you'd recommend we look at?
Any tech in the area?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,308,793 times
Question What type of technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds495 View Post
What would be better for a board game store?
Any cute downtowns or shopping areas you'd recommend we look at?
Any tech in the area?
ds495,

What do you mean by "Any tech in the area?"

Pocatello has the main campus of Idaho State University. The Idaho National Laboratory (INL), with missions ranging from being the national's lead nuclear lab to cell phone security technology and other work, is west of Idaho Falls. Another thread will show you the French are investing $2 Billion in Areva 18 miles west of Idaho Falls.

There are many different types of "technology" and honestly, the entire area from Pocatello to the MT border is developing as a "Technology Corridor," for energy. However, you may be seeking an entirely different type of "technology."

If you could be more specific about what you are wondering, most likely someone here can answer with better information.

I hope that helps.

MSR

Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,308,793 times
Question A Day In Each City

Quote:
Originally Posted by talps1 View Post
Boy, after reading all these posts, I'm really undecided on where I want to live. My husband and I moved from San Diego to Lake Havasu and are ready for another change. We just chose Idaho by doing some research. We liked Pocatello because of the mountains and smaller city admosphere (although LHC is also only about 50+ people). I never considered religion a factor when I moved either until I started reading about the LDS - I don't care about LDS as long as they dont' care about me? I also like Idaho Falls, but again, my husband likes the hunting/fishing thing as well as the mtns, so we're back to Pocatello! So many decisions, I just hope we don't make the wrong one! We arent planning to escape time too soon and may even change our mind again, but I do want to thank everyone for their honesty in posting - it just makes it so hard to really KNOW what to expect!!!!!

I forgot to add, we both still need to work, so that is another thing we have to consider...of course, the economy right now is just not cooperating.
TALPS1
Can you plan a trip and stay at a hotel in each city- during a weekday? That way you could see what occurs in each location spending the day first hand.

There may be specific desires you have that you may not realize until visiting Idaho in a detailed trip. Some things you may take for granted where you currently live may be amenities or "quirks" (in a positive sense, of course), which you would like to have your new location to possess as well.

Sometimes, it takes just being in the city and feeling what feels like home to you.

Good luck with your adventure-

MSR

Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,717 times
My husband is from Idaho Falls; I am from Pocatello. We lived in Idaho Falls for 10 years and moved to Pocatello when I went back to finish my degree. (We purchased a house in Pocatello; my husband commutes to Idaho Falls everyday to work) Idaho Falls is definately designed better, and the city puts a lot of effort into landscaping. I like the way my husband describes both areas; "Idaho Falls is a service town; Pocatello is industry."

The cost of living is less in Pocatello, and we enjoy being 10 minutes from the mountains. But truth be told, Idaho Falls is prettier, and there are more things for children/teenagers to do. The public school district is much better in Idaho Falls as well. I guess it just boils down to what you are looking for. Our perspective was that we are in a beautiful, more affordable home in Poky - and are close enough to drive to Idaho Falls whenever we want too.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:01 PM

873 posts, read 1,511,082 times
Default P or IF?

Personally, I think Idaho Falls is a much cleaner little city. Pocatello has always struck me as rather run down even with it's very authentic "old town", which is BTW, really cool.

On the flip side, while Idaho Falls is cleaner, it's growing so fast that if you aren't into big cities, this may not be where you want to settle. In the 30 years that I've been here, we've watched much of what used to be "out in the sticks" grow with commercial and housing developments. We've watched 2-lane roads grow to five, and big buildings, big businesses, chains, etc., go up faster then you can bat an eye. My home was in a very quiet neighborhood when we bought it 15 years ago. Now, it's surrounded by traffic and businesses. Sirens weren't something we heard a lot of and now we hear them all the time.

Since I came from big city, this was not what I was looking forward to. But it does have it's pluses as far as the job market goes.

No matter where you live there will probably be things we like and don't like.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 PM

210 posts, read 895,629 times
I'd disagree when you say IF is designed better. Getting around in IF is a mess to me, but maybe It's just what your used to. No grid and little planning expect on the outskirts of town. The Sunnyside expansion and new exit sure helped Many people don't like the hilly roads in Poky. Poky is changing from it's industrial past so while it is still got some "dirty" areas it has gotten much better over the past 10 years. I think most of Poky is really pretty but I love the mountains. I don't like being out in the middle of the windy plain where IF is.

But that is just me. IF is a beautiful busy thriving city with plenty going for it. Maybe a little too busy for my tastes.

Small local stores tend to do better in Poky with the college kids, but IF has a bigger population base with more disposable income to draw from so on the board game store that is about even. Depends on your target market, I'd guess.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:58 PM

4,958 posts, read 16,993,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
Personally, I think Idaho Falls is a much cleaner little city. Pocatello has always struck me as rather run down even with it's very authentic "old town", which is BTW, really cool.

On the flip side, while Idaho Falls is cleaner, it's growing so fast that if you aren't into big cities, this may not be where you want to settle. In the 30 years that I've been here, we've watched much of what used to be "out in the sticks" grow with commercial and housing developments. We've watched 2-lane roads grow to five, and big buildings, big businesses, chains, etc., go up faster then you can bat an eye. My home was in a very quiet neighborhood when we bought it 15 years ago. Now, it's surrounded by traffic and businesses. Sirens weren't something we heard a lot of and now we hear them all the time.

Since I came from big city, this was not what I was looking forward to. But it does have it's pluses as far as the job market goes.

No matter where you live there will probably be things we like and don't like.
From your lips!! I couldn't agree more with all you said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho