Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,763 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a freelance writer working on a story for the Idaho Business Review about why people choose to move to Idaho; and, in the course of my research, ran across this Web site more than twice so I thought it would be a good place to solicit some opinions.

Basically the piece is intended to explore the specific reasons those from out-of-state see Idaho as an attractive place to work, raise a family or go to school.

For those who have already made the move: how is your new life in Idaho shaping up? What are the benefits and challenges? What advice would you give others?

If you're interested in responding to my questions, please include your real name, age, occupation, where you're living now and where you came from. If you're uncomfortable doing that in a public forum, let me know and we can communicate via private email.

Sadly, my deadline for this piece is noon Boise time (I'm a little behind the eight ball), so I can't really use any responses received after about 11 a.m. Regardless, thanks for your time and I hope to hear from some interesting people.

Thanks,

Zach Hagadone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 AM

349 posts, read 1,035,815 times
Smile My life in Idaho

Hi there,

My husband and I left Ohio, which as you know their economy was on the rapid downside, that being the main reason we wanted to move in the first place. However, choosing Idaho was not a quick process for me, we looked at hundreds of towns in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and Idaho to find the right place for us, and found it in Salmon, Idaho. The best town!! It is a great community, the view of the mountains from anywhere in town (Salmon lies in a valley) The most famous river running near main street, yes the Salmon River, offers great fishing, floating, and plain exploring, is a wonderful attraction to the hundreds that visit our beautiful town every year. We knew we wanted to head west, my husband was born in Utah, and I have lived and visited out west many times, I love the natural pace of things instead of rush everywhere which is the east syndrome, out west the landscape cannot be beat, it is breathtaking. Big reason for our decision to come to Idaho is the cost of living is relatively low, the people are honest and hardworking. The town is very isolated, the nearest city is either Idaho Falls, which is 3 hrs away or Missoula,Mt which is about 2 1/2 hrs away, that is the only down fall to living here, sometimes you need to drive to a larger city to purchase items, but we in Salmon don't mind that, that's why this town is special not everyone is able to live and work in a great town like Salmon. The jobs are far and few between, but my husband is in electrical maintenance so he was able to find work quickly. The only negative that has come out of relocation is the famous cracked windshield, from the flying rocks off peoples wheels, but I imagine I will learn to deal with that one day. Hope I have been helpful to you, feel free to contact me with any further questions you have.

Beth Doan; age 43
homemaker, husband electrician
Salmon, Idaho from Ohio

Old 04-25-2008, 11:09 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,195,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachHagadone View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a freelance writer working on a story for the Idaho Business Review about why people choose to move to Idaho; and, in the course of my research, ran across this Web site more than twice so I thought it would be a good place to solicit some opinions.

Basically the piece is intended to explore the specific reasons those from out-of-state see Idaho as an attractive place to work, raise a family or go to school.

For those who have already made the move: how is your new life in Idaho shaping up? What are the benefits and challenges? What advice would you give others?

If you're interested in responding to my questions, please include your real name, age, occupation, where you're living now and where you came from. If you're uncomfortable doing that in a public forum, let me know and we can communicate via private email.

Sadly, my deadline for this piece is noon Boise time (I'm a little behind the eight ball), so I can't really use any responses received after about 11 a.m. Regardless, thanks for your time and I hope to hear from some interesting people.

Thanks,

Zach Hagadone

Zach,

Writing something up for you right now. I'll send you a direct message in just a minute.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:18 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,207,445 times
Zach,

I would help out, but I'm running a little late today.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,763 times
Well, my deadline is passed. Thanks to those of you who responded with your stories. They were very helpful. I'm not sure when the story will publish, but if you're a reader keep your eyes peeled in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho