Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 11:49 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about Moscow? You haven't heard of Radio Free Moscow, the local community non-profit radio station?
Moscow is a college town. Most often college towns are an infusion of liberalism. But outside of there is most certainly RED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 01:21 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg&Yeshua View Post
Hi All!

We’re wanting to get out of California.....the housing costs are just too high. We’re hoping to take a trip out to Idaho when things open back up to check it out. Can anyone suggest some towns with a lot of trees and homes for under $200k? AND we LOve cold weather and four seasons!

We are a Costco worker (willing to change jobs) and a caregiver/medical assistant.

Thanks so much for your input!

Thank You! Stay strong
Is it just the housing costs as to why you want to leave California? If you want trees and four seasons you can get that in California for under $200K. You could have that in the San Bernardino Mountains and still be able to commute to Costco and medical assistant jobs. Big Bear Lake is too far to commute from, but Crestline to Arrowbear is filled with houses in your range. Most full time residents that aren’t retired commute off the hill. Just a thought?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Rimforest/...m_content=link https://www.redfin.com/CA/Running-Sp...m_content=link
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Arrowbear-...m_content=link

Old 04-23-2020, 03:00 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
All ski areas in Idaho have been closed for over a month, so any recent COVID cases are not being brought here by "Californians looking for a nice vacation on the ski slopes." Haven't had a new case here in Bonner county for quite a while (current confirmed case total stands at 4 for the entire county).

There is currently a requirement that visitors from out of state quarantine themselves for 14 days. It looks like that will remain in place for most of May (roughly).

Your price point will be challenging in Bonner county. I think the average here is somewhere in the mid-$200s. Boundary county might work, but employment will be challenging, and that's without accounting for the economic devastation that's being caused by these stay at home orders.

Dave

Old 04-23-2020, 04:48 PM

38 posts, read 42,269 times
Quote:
KOMPASS: What was it about Boise that you didn’t like? Thx!
It wasn't the right fit for me. I am a lifelong coastie growing up in Seattle, then Bay Area, then Idaho, and now back in San Diego north county. I was a bit ignorant about the differences between inland vs coast and though everyone was pretty much the same, I learned and decided I very much preferred the coast.

As a practical matter something you may want to check out is tax-rates.org income taxes are progressive but very differently that CA,. Also, property taxes are not capped. Don't know if these things matter to you or not. I get hit much harder on income taxes in CA, I used to find it onerous but now just consider it the price of admission to a place that works for me. I get what I pay for.

Idaho was too homogenized culturally for me, I am used to a more diverse population. I missed the food and didn't like the group think. That's just me, check it carefully for yourself. Subscribe to the Statesman, read threads, research demographics, go visit and be aware of the weather differences.

In 2017 while I was in Idaho I replied to an ongoing conversation in an Idaho thread which summed up what I was thinking upon deciding to come home. That post is here there was conversation that followed, for context the whole thread from then is here, you might find it interesting.

You should read some of the other threads in the Idaho forums going back a couple of years to gauge the level of vitriol towards "outsiders"<< that is the term used by local government officials and others when referring to ex-Californians. While I was there I met a couple of others in the same boat, after about two years they were wanting to go back as well. Many folks love it and it is a dream come true, it's all about fitting the narrow demographic, if this is you it could be perfect.

I am very happy back in Ca, I hope you find your happy wherever you land.

Edited to add: when I posted in this thread it was located in the California forum.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:55 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
How big of a town are you looking for, OP? If you are looking for one that is the size that has a Costco, then you are not likely to find forests in the ID region.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:39 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post

There is currently a requirement that visitors from out of state quarantine themselves for 14 days. It looks like that will remain in place for most of May (roughly).

Dave

Yea, that great idea works well.

Police are not stopping people with out of state plates. Hard to tell someone who is traveling through ID to stop for 14 days, and impossible to enforce for those who have moved here for a residence or to visit.

Couple houses near were I live have out-of-state visitors who are coming and going when they please (as they should be able too; one from CA, one from NC). And ironically, one (CA) is visiting a house next to where a local LE lives.

I see their vehicles when I walk the dogs at 4:30AM and see them drive down the road during the day when I'm outside. And the local police/sheriff stated at the beginning of "Little's" shutdown that they were not going to stop out of state people driving around.

And what about those who have been in CA for business or just visiting and came back to ID and have ID plates....how do you filter them out?

Getting back to the OP's questions.....
No idea about the prices but south of Pocatello the costs aren't too bad, American Falls area (and their is a Costco in Pocatello).

As for trees....how many trees? I have a house; live north of Pocatello have have three large trees, but if you are looking for a lot full of trees, you might have to look further north and outside of the snake river area.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:22 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Boise is overpriced, go look at the housing costs and see for yourself. A lot of houses are at SLC/Denver prices, but Boise lacks the amenities of those cities.
Wait for the prices to drop then snatch up a house(1-2 years?). And, look at some other smaller metro markets, while you wait. Gl
On the contrary, those two cities you mentioned lack amenities Boise has and prices may not drop anytime soon.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Moscow is a college town. Most often college towns are an infusion of liberalism. But outside of there is most certainly RED
Don't forget about Sun Valley/Ketchum/Hailey. Plenty of year long Idaho residents in this area who are Blue. Boise city limits = Blue and Pocatello has a slight liberal edge to it too. Also, don't attempt to discount Moscow because it is a college town. It is just as much "Idaho" as any other town in the state.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 04-24-2020 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-24-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

We’re wanting to get out of California.....the housing costs are just too high. I hear you’re not particularly fond of transplanted Californians.....but we’re friendly and NOT fond of California ourselves ;-).

We’re hoping to take a trip out to Idaho when things open back up to check it out. Can anyone suggest some towns with a lot of trees and homes for around $160k and under AND we LOve cold weather and four seasons!

We are a Costco worker (willing to change jobs) and a caregiver/medical assistant.

Thanks so much for your input!
Most towns and cities, even in the Snake River area of southern Idaho have a good amount of trees. The clincher is finding a town with homes for that low of a price. I did a quick search and Payette appears to have some homes in that price range but homes are more expensive further up the highway in Weiser. The nearest Costco's in this region would be in Boise, Nampa and the new one coming soon to Meridian.

You could also check out Twin Falls or Pocatello, each have a Costco and each city has trees of course.

Are you looking for a town in a forested area or towns in more arid areas that have a good tree canopy?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:37 PM

551 posts, read 804,031 times
If you like trees and 4 seasons, North ID fits that pretty well. I'm near Spirit Lake about 30 minutes north of CDA. CDA has a Costco and lots of medical jobs with all the retirees in the area. I don't know what the cost of houses/properties are in my area though. It was pretty cheap when I bought the lot and had a house built 5 years ago.

Had an incredible amount of trees when I first saw my lot:

Shot from about the same location after doing a whole lot of clearing and thinning:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho