Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 03:08 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times

Advertisements

Costco is coming to Idaho Falls. The ground was purchased and construction has begun.

The upper Snake River Valley has lots of trees. Idaho Falls looks like a junior version of Boise in that regard, and like cities everywhere, the older parts of town have the nicest trees.

Life in Idaho is not for everyone for sure. Folks who are completely accustomed to the hustle-bustle of big city life that goes on 24/7 would find I.F. boring, I'm sure. While it is growing fast, faster than at any time in my life here, and I was born here, I.F. is still much like a small town in many ways.

Night life was actually more active 20 years ago than it is now; the 2008 recession hit this area hard, as it did the entire state, and like folks everywhere, people seem to want to nest more now than go out on the town.

The thing here is outdoor activities. There's so much to do outdoors all year that people take off and leave town to have fun.

People here are friendly but reserved. It takes living here a while to get to know people, and newcomers have to make an effort to establish friendships. Life here either seems to be ideal for newcomers or terrible... there's little middle ground between those extremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 09:35 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
For trees, affordable houses, (Superfund toxic waste sites), winter and commuting, maybe look at Kellogg. Or more expensive but still relatively affordable Plummer.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:01 PM

130 posts, read 86,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
On the contrary, those two cities you mentioned lack amenities Boise has and prices may not drop anytime soon.
which amenities are they lacking that Boise has?

Old 04-28-2020, 04:39 PM

138 posts, read 266,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Costco is coming to Idaho Falls. The ground was purchased and construction has begun.

The upper Snake River Valley has lots of trees. Idaho Falls looks like a junior version of Boise in that regard, and like cities everywhere, the older parts of town have the nicest trees.

Life in Idaho is not for everyone for sure. Folks who are completely accustomed to the hustle-bustle of big city life that goes on 24/7 would find I.F. boring, I'm sure. While it is growing fast, faster than at any time in my life here, and I was born here, I.F. is still much like a small town in many ways.

Night life was actually more active 20 years ago than it is now; the 2008 recession hit this area hard, as it did the entire state, and like folks everywhere, people seem to want to nest more now than go out on the town.

The thing here is outdoor activities. There's so much to do outdoors all year that people take off and leave town to have fun.

People here are friendly but reserved. It takes living here a while to get to know people, and newcomers have to make an effort to establish friendships. Life here either seems to be ideal for newcomers or terrible... there's little middle ground between those extremes.
Glad to finally see a Costco coming to IF. When we lived in Teton Valley several years ago, I made the 2 hr trek to Pocatello every few months. I remember well how so many people in that region were wishing for one, and the rumors were rampant for a long time.

Now I live in McCall ID and go to Nampa, which is about 2:20 min. We go about 6 times a year, along with doing other stuff. I find Boise to be much more exciting than any other "city" in the state... by far.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:43 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg&Yeshua View Post
Hi All!

We’re wanting to get out of California.....the housing costs are just too high. We’re hoping to take a trip out to Idaho when things open back up to check it out. Can anyone suggest some towns with a lot of trees and homes for under $200k? AND we LOve cold weather and four seasons!

We are a Costco worker (willing to change jobs) and a caregiver/medical assistant.

Thanks so much for your input!

Thank You! Stay strong

I was going to go by what I thought I knew about property values in North Idaho--because I know the trees! A lot of beautiful trees all the way from Athol up to Bonners on 95, and across to Moyie Springs on 2, and to Clark Fork on 200. I enjoy cruising Realtor.com once in a while, and a year ago it was still possible to find fixers for about 160K to 200K. And now...even a small cabin is priced at 250K or higher. Who knows what the market will do in the wake of the COVID crisis, but my hunch is that property values are probably not going to tank. So the North Idaho land of trees and 4 seasons is not going to be as affordable as it used to be, unless one comes across a lot for sale by owner in some tucked-away corner. I think it will still be worth your while to come up and check everything out, once (yes, Oregonwoodsmoke) we can all travel without bringing any virus with us, or without running into a fresh virus wave, just for the trip and the experience, but it may take a while to find the combination you're looking for, with trees, cold winters, and homes under $200K...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho