Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 08:51 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times

Advertisements

I’ll be looking at properties over the next year to buy and since I’m currently in Texas and have zero familiarity with Idaho’s ISPs so what resources could I use to find out if broadband (no satellite) is available for a perspective property’s address? Or maybe a list of ISPs in Idaho by area may help? It was a nightmare dealing with this in Texas due to the size of the state / rural areas so I’m hoping it won’t be as difficult in Idaho.

In case anyone is wondering, satellite internet currently won’t work with our VPN at our company so I’m stuck finding broadband out in the sticks the hard way. Haha. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 01:29 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Do a search like this
https://www.google.com/search?client...provider+guide
or using other words like broadband service, speed, reliability, price, availability, options, etc. Specify Idaho or not and see what you can find.

Hopefully there are specific sites that people will mention here. Pretty likely there are such references to be found in past threads to be found by browsing or searching. Maybe in the thread a few inches below this one?

Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
I don't believe there are any sites that allow a property by property search for all Internet service providers.

I think Verizon allows you to enter an address and it will tell you what cellular service is available there, but it's not very accurate at the edges of their service.

The microwave service providers (Air Pipe, etc.) have some maps, but again they aren't very accurate.

I think the best approach is to ask your realtor to qualify properties based on whatever Internet service criteria are acceptable to you. The current homeowner is usually going to be your best source.

Dave

Old 05-24-2020, 01:51 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Can't speak for NID; however, down here in Pocatello/Chubbuck area, once I located all the ISP in this area, all I had to do is type in the future address and it told me if service was available. And if service was available, max speed since in some areas 1 GB is available and a few blocks away; NOT.

And if not online, you should be able to find the info from the provider.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:44 PM

Thanks all. I’ll post again in here if I have anything to add! Hopefully I can find a comprehensive list of ISPs up there I can contact directly.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:18 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Thanks all. I’ll post again in here if I have anything to add! Hopefully I can find a comprehensive list of ISPs up there I can contact directly.
The truth is seldom found on the internet ads that google provides as a result of their searches.

I have had fiber internet from my local county for over twenty years. Do a search for my area and you get satellite, DSL!!!, and, of course, the local corporate cable system.

I would call the local chamber of commerce and anybody else you can think of and ask questions about internet providers.

Nobody has a “comprehensive” list since there is NO ADVANTAGE for somebody to provide that list.

Ask, ask, ask again....talk to everybody and their brother.

As for google and their search engines.....you won’t find my fiber internet at 1 Gig speed for my county. Seems when the local government provides the internet service it doesn’t show up in google searches.

Oh wait, yep....you can find my internet provider.....just do a google search on my Counties electrical service that is provided by the local government. Look under “fiber”.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,040 times
Default Check out the this FCC site

The FCC maintains a report that lists internet providers by census block. If you enter the address of the property you're looking at, you'll see a list of which providers can or do provide service to that census block. This doesn't mean that they will provide service all customers in that census block, but it will give you an idea who services that general area.

https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/#/

Info from the FCC site:
All facilities-based broadband providers are required to file data with the FCC twice a year (Form 477) on where they offer Internet access service at speeds exceeding 200 kbps in at least one direction.

Fixed providers file lists of census blocks in which they can or do offer service to at least one location, with additional information about the service.*

Mobile providers file maps of their coverage areas for each broadband technology (e.g., EV-DO, HSPA, LTE).

Old 05-26-2020, 10:03 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
The FCC site will give you an idea of what services might be available, but it's usually only a rough idea.

The cellular coverage maps are not very accurate at the boundaries. If you are in the heart of a service provider's coverage zone they may be useful. Even then terrain can interfere with coverage. Verizon would tell us we have 4G at our place, but in reality we can't reliably make a cell phone call.

The coverage maps from the microwave providers don't seem to take terrain into account, and they definitely don't consider trees, both of which can block reception. If the trees are on your property you can fix that, but not if they are on your neighbor's place.

Data is more accurate from the wired service providers (phone co's, cable), but their coverage doesn't necessarily align with census tracts.

Since internet coverage is at least a consideration for most of us, I suggest you tell your realtor what your requirements are. If satellite is acceptable, then you can get that anywhere (you may need to take some trees down, but usually not). Otherwise, when looking at larger rural properties in this area you really need to look at individual properties because availability from a specific service provider can vary from one property to the next.

Dave

Old 05-26-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Sure View Post
The FCC maintains a report that lists internet providers by census block. If you enter the address of the property you're looking at, you'll see a list of which providers can or do provide service to that census block. This doesn't mean that they will provide service all customers in that census block, but it will give you an idea who services that general area.

https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/#/

Info from the FCC site:
All facilities-based broadband providers are required to file data with the FCC twice a year (Form 477) on where they offer Internet access service at speeds exceeding 200 kbps in at least one direction.

Fixed providers file lists of census blocks in which they can or do offer service to at least one location, with additional information about the service.*

Mobile providers file maps of their coverage areas for each broadband technology (e.g., EV-DO, HSPA, LTE).
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: