Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 02:43 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezulMaster View Post
My girlfriend and I are looking to escape Silicon Valley's high housing cost & horrible traffic. We'd initially decided on Southwest Washington (Vancouver area), but recent events have compelled us to look around a bit more, in case a more suitable location appears. Idaho being right next door naturally caught our eye.

(I know it gets asked a lot on here, and I appreciate the previous replies. Hopefully my specifics will help clarify things further.)

However, we're not sure which areas within the state would suit us best. So I thought I'd lay out what we're looking for and see if anyone could share their own feedback.

Right now I live in Fremont, California. It does have some nice things going for it:
* Safe(r) area
* 250K people in 87 square miles - not huge, but not overcrowded
* Healthy business environment; it's not dependent on a single major company or industry.
* Tech-friendly

I'd love to find a place in Idaho that's similar. We plan on buying property & staying for a few years at least. We have not been out there for a visit yet, but hope to do so soon.

Additionally:
* We are fine with rain & colder temps. Not so much with hot weather.
* I am able to telecommute to my existing job. However, I would definitely like a region with a healthy job market, in case I would need to find a new one (I work in content marketing/tech writing).
* The area has some form of a tech sector. I'm a techie, and I like hanging out with same!
* High-speed Internet! Can't live without it anymore.
* Must have a good medical facility nearby (girlfriend is diabetic).
* We like Renaissance/Fantasy/Steampunk events!
* Suburbs are great for us. We like walks among trees and on mountain trails.

Based on all this...where would you recommend within the Gem State? Thanks.
In 1984 to 1988 I used to commute to Fremont, CA via San Mateo Bridge from San Francisco. I have seen it lately and it is very very crowded and the traffic congestion on #880 is Now back then it was not crowded. Too bad you couldn't have seen it back then.

I have relatives in Boise that prefer Boise over SF Bay Area. They are fortunate to have a house there and
a newer home subdivision in the East Bay because they have family in the SF Bay Area which is the ONLY reason they come back here to visit. They say the same thing the traffic here is too dangerous.
Good luck hope you find what you are looking for and I'm sure you will be much happier in Idaho just like everyone I know and have also talked to said they should have made that move a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 09:11 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
If a good-paying job in the tech sector is the prime objective of the move, Salt Lake City is where all the biggest action is now.
Salt Lake's population is the youngest, the city is larger so it has more of the activities you like, and it has all the same scenic stuff Idaho has. There is much more high-tech manufacturing there, and many more tech companies. It's also the largest International airline hub in the Intermountain west.

That's where I would start. If I didn't like what I found there, I would move northward through the E. Idaho corridor and then on to Boise at the end of the line.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:29 AM

46 posts, read 43,320 times
Thanks everybody! Appreciate the feedback so far.

I had considered SLC early on; it certainly does have a lot going for it. Not sure the other half will go along with it though; she does not do well health-wise in deserts/hot climates. I'll have to do some weather mapping.

I can work remotely in my field (content/technical writing), so being near a tech sector is more me having a 'job backup' if that makes sense.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:59 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:

I had considered SLC early on; it certainly does have a lot going for it. Not sure the other half will go along with it though; she does not do well health-wise in deserts/hot climates. I'll have to do some weather mapping.

I can work remotely in my field (content/technical writing), so being near a tech sector is more me having a 'job backup' if that makes sense.
This is exactly what's going on in SF/ Silicon Valley when people don't have to live near work and use technology now so they can live far away. No more commute. Lots of rental opening and reductions.
There is no need to put up with cost factors or environmental issues.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:29 AM

337 posts, read 311,164 times
Quote:

If your OH thinks SLC will be too hot, Boise may be, too.

Boise average
July high: 91.2 (record high of 111)
July humidity: 36.1%

SLC average
July high: 92.6 (record high of 107)
July humidity: 35.9%

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise,_Idaho#Climate
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clim...Salt_Lake_City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: