Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 07:02 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times

Advertisements

There is little doubt in regard to tourism Shoshone Falls is it's biggest calling card. Along with some rather nice locations along the Snake River in town and down the river a bit (like Thousand Springs etc.). Twin Falls in particular is growing like a weed at this time. Houses are being built by the hundreds mainly east of town but also south of town near their airport. Just in the last 4 years I've lived in the general area, I've noted the traffic going from pretty reasonable to lockdown from 3pm to 7pm, which it never was until a few years ago. I'm just glad I don't live real nearby. Its my go to for hospital care and where some of our specialty doctors are along with the obvious big box stores (Target, Costco, Winco, Walmart etc.) along with the chain food locations like 5 Guys, Carino's. Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse and a few more locally grown steak houses and such.

But when I leave and head home it's always sigh of relief. My years in major metro's is OVER for this life thank you. Grew up in one and lived in many over the years. It's NOT my thing. What would really concern me is if TF get's the illegals being shuffled around the country at this time, which can perhaps get even worse. I know TF is pretty much a sanctuary city by their standards. If they end up with the gang members from south of the border they are sunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 07:11 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
There is alot of development going on in that area of Twin Falls?
That should change like everything else in time changes.
That depends on what you think of as a lot of development.

Twin Falls has been a magnet for dairy farmers from other states for decades. There are now many, many more dairy farms in the area than there once were, along with several large factories that process dairy products.
Twin Falls is also a regional hub city, so its goods and services sector is growing too.

With more new factory and non-agriculture jobs, in addition to the still-growing agriculture sector, the city's population has increased substantially. Twin was always around 25,000 population for most of my life. It's now around 50,000.

Over a period of about 35 years. About the same length of time as the other major cities here have grown. Twin was smaller than some of the others, and its still smaller than some now.

At the same time, many of our really small towns have lost population, and others haven't changed at all- they were tiny to begin with and are still tiny.

By Idaho's standards, that is big development.
It may not be seen that way somewhere else where there were a lot more people to begin with.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:59 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Twin Falls metro is 113k. It will take awhile to get to 150k but it probably will. Growth rate was about 1500 per year for a few decades but a bit less in last decade. Could it explode up to 200-250k? Would depend on new employers (back office / tech)... or tons of remote workers. Out of Boise, SLC, Cali... Relative real estate prices will be very important. Amenity enhancement and marketing could be important too.

Old 04-12-2022, 04:50 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Correct. Twin Falls is smaller than Idaho Falls (~110k vs. ~150k). And Idaho Falls is about 1000' higher in elevation (4700 vs 3700) which, in addition to other geographic differences (e.g. less protection from cold arctic air masses from the plains in Montana and Canada) means IF has harsher longer winters and shorter milder summers.
TF vs. IF: Idaho Falls will have more snow and wind too than Twin Falls?

Old 04-12-2022, 09:40 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
What would really concern me is if TF get's the illegals being shuffled around the country at this time, which can perhaps get even worse. I know TF is pretty much a sanctuary city by their standards. If they end up with the gang members from south of the border they are sunk.
Is this a local government plan, or a Washington DC, plan for Twin Falls

Old 04-12-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
According to some folks who I have as friends that grew up here, they tell me it's largely been due to CSI (College of Southern Idaho) that has quite literally moved the process forward of bringing in many outside people most of which were either illegals or immigrants from far off places in droves. They have been THE primary liberal influence in the area, as most I've met from anywhere say within about 50 or more miles from there are quite conservative and don't buy into the college's maneuvers. It is quite well known that there are thousands of illegals harbored by the Dairy industry in the area in general as there are some HUGE dairy farms mainly from Twin Falls west into Gooding County that would otherwise never have the workforce they need to keep things going. Most people just look the other way. But all one has to do is take a visit to the Walmart in say Jerome sometime, and watch the full carts from Hispanics that will whip out their EBT cards to pay for their load of merchandise. You have to wonder how this occurs. But then it's all over the place, free this and free that now in the U.S. And 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count who will pay for this.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:29 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
The offices are local and Idaho has been a refugee resettlement state for years. Boise is one of the best cities to place them as they acclimate to the USA, because of the kindness and compassion of the citizens. Twin Falls is also a city in Idaho that receives a fair amount of our brothers and sisters who arrive from all over the world, not just Mexico.

https://www.idahorefugees.org/

https://www.rescue.org/united-states/boise-id

https://www.jannus.org/program/idaho...-for-refugees/

https://refugeecenter.csi.edu/

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...in-boise-idaho
How Boise, Idaho, Became a Sanctuary for Refugees and Their Cuisine
Becoming a “Welcoming City” has been a boon to the region’s restaurants.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:19 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
........ Boise is one of the best cities to place them as they acclimate to the USA, ..........

Or maybe the woke in the big cities don't want them so they can place them where there aren't enough voters to outvote them. They get all of their do-good credits without actually being inconvenienced by it all. Like the liberals in Portland Oregon who want green electricity, but don't want to be inconvenienced so they force the wind turbines onto the farmers in low population areas who don't want them, but are outvoted.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:10 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Or maybe the woke in the big cities don't want them so they can place them where there aren't enough voters to outvote them. They get all of their do-good credits without actually being inconvenienced by it all. Like the liberals in Portland Oregon who want green electricity, but don't want to be inconvenienced so they force the wind turbines onto the farmers in low population areas who don't want them, but are outvoted.
You obviously don't have a clue about what Boise is like socially and politically. And you don't seem to understand how cities are chosen to place refugees in. Boise has a long history of being a welcoming city for refugees and a lot of that boils down to good ole Idaho hospitality....of which said hospitality is being diminished by angry transplants/political fugitives from other states.

https://www.cityofboise.org/programs/welcoming-city/

https://mayorsinnovation.org/2020/09...elcoming-week/

Voting has nothing to do with accepting refugees.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:26 PM

I suppose we'll see soon enough or over the next year or two how this will impact us. it's great to think holding your hands out is always with a great outcome. We shall see. I'm not saying there aren't deserving folks that need the chance to come here and elevate our society. As long as they are sucking off those that work for a free ride. Our tax stability will reflect this in the coming year or so so it should be interesting to see. It is, in the end, a drop in the bucket of all the things our country let alone state are about to face. It would seem buckling our seat belts for a rough ride might be good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho