Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,230 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Sorry to say that we are yet another family from California looking to relocate to Idaho. I never thought I’d leave sunny San Diego but it’s so crowded and expensive here not to mention the politics; I won’t say more about that.
My concern is that I’ve never lived anywhere outside of San Diego where it is so diverse. I have two daughters that are half white but look more like me, brown. I’ve never worried about race or even thought twice about it until now. Will they be embraced in our new community? We’re looking at Meridian, Eagle, and a Cour deAlene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 03:26 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Depends. I'm up north, a small town a few miles away from Coeur d'Alene. Personally, I have no issues with Hispanics. I've done some geology work in southern Mexico, (Terra Caliente, Rio Balsas area, State of Guerrero), and found Mexicans to be among the most kind, generous, friendly, and honest people I've ever met. Having spent my whole pre-retirement life in SoCal, I can also speak/understand the Spanish, (if they don't speak too rapidly or talk technical/philosophical).

However, I was horrified with a neighbor lady who has cancer that I've been helping. She is originally from the Seattle area and spoke very harshly about some local workers marking the street in preparation for the installation of fiber optic network cables. When she asked them some questions, they feigned ignorance of English and wouldn't answer her. She went ballistic and talked rudely to them, (and anyone else who listened). This just happened the other week.

Normally, Idahoans are pretty accepting of everyone and displays of open racism is rare. However, you can never know under the surface. I was very surprised by my neighbor's reaction. Not a lot of Hispanics around here and I very rarely hear Spanish anymore. They are around because I've seen a few here and there. I strongly suggest coming for a visit and seeing for yourselves.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 07-23-2020 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-15-2020, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,230 times
Thank you. We will be out for a visit real soon.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:30 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I hope you are well prepared for the gigantic change in weather. If you visit soon, you will find lovely weather but summer doesn't last long and what you get the rest of the year is going to seem harsh for someone who has always lived in San Diego which has the best weather in the USA.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:15 PM

551 posts, read 803,456 times
There are a few a-holes everywhere. No different in CA or ID. I really don't think you'll have any problems with being Hispanic up here. In fact there are a whole bunch of ex-Californians up here. Seems like most of the people I meet are from CA. I'm next to a small town just north of Volosong and my next door neighbors on both sides of me are from CA and at least 4 houses in a row (including me) are from CA. My ethnicity is East Asian and have had no problems due to that in my 5 1/2 years up here.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:12 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val. V View Post
Hi,
Sorry to say that we are yet another family from California looking to relocate to Idaho. I never thought I’d leave sunny San Diego but it’s so crowded and expensive here not to mention the politics; I won’t say more about that.
My concern is that I’ve never lived anywhere outside of San Diego where it is so diverse. I have two daughters that are half white but look more like me, brown. I’ve never worried about race or even thought twice about it until now. Will they be embraced in our new community? We’re looking at Meridian, Eagle, and a Cour deAlene.
Another consumer who has come to realize this place is not what it is all cut up to be.
Good for him and family
Caldwell has a high Hispanic population.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:14 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
There are a few a-holes everywhere. No different in CA or ID. I really don't think you'll have any problems with being Hispanic up here. In fact there are a whole bunch of ex-Californians up here. Seems like most of the people I meet are from CA. I'm next to a small town just north of Volosong and my next door neighbors on both sides of me are from CA and at least 4 houses in a row (including me) are from CA. My ethnicity is East Asian and have had no problems due to that in my 5 1/2 years up here.
Are you in CDA or Boise area?

Old 07-15-2020, 02:37 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val. V View Post
Thank you. We will be out for a visit real soon.
I just returned from a first-time visit to the CdA area and I was surprised by the number of non-white people I did observe. Granted, CdA is highly tourist oriented and so to some degree the people I saw may have been tourists. I encountered several different groups of white-ish people speaking what I assume were different Eastern European languages. But in any case I definitely saw several Hispanic and black people and I didn't notice any hostility. I observed an Asian couple at a diner in Hayden having a friendly conversation with the staff.

I am going to recommend for best results you make no mention of which state you are from without being prompted. To the extent there is anything to be concerned about, being from California is probably the real target on your back. If you make no mention of it though I found all the people I dealt with to be friendly.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:39 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
There's a much higher Hispanic population in the south than in the north I think. It's mostly due to the big agriculture in the south here.

Right now, there are lots of spud farmers who are very unhappy with the recent border closures; there are Mexican families who have come here to work the spuds from planting to harvest, and then have gone back home for the winters. Some of these folks have been doing this for 50 years, and their farm owners have come to depend on them.

They have all made deep multi-generational friendships here too, so when they can no longer come north, it's a bad situation for both. And since they grow our food, bad for the rest of us too.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:05 PM

551 posts, read 803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Are you in CDA or Boise area?
North of CdA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho