Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 10:40 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,242,255 times

Advertisements

Red Cross is starting to check for all blood, platelet and plasma donations for COVID-19 antibodies, when you give blood, at least till Oct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 02:57 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,469,707 times
An anecdotal report about mask effectiveness: A friend of mine from Quebec spoke with a local cashier about 5 weeks ago after he noticed her cleaning the plexiglass in front of her register. She said that she cleaned it 1 or 2 times per hour.... the fine spray of saliva from people kept building up spots on it if she did not clean it regularly. The store manager was talking about keeping the shields permanently.

So much of what the masks stop, we never are even aware of.....

Old 08-01-2020, 07:47 AM

And so much fine spray that a cloth wrapped over your nose and mouth does NOT stop, but gives people a nice warm fuzzy feeling and a sense of false security.

I'm curious to those who come home after going to a store and wash their clothes. Do you also:
Apply hand sanitizer to your hands, immediately upon leaving a store and before getting in your vehicle? If no, then do you:
Wash all your vehicles door handles inside/out that are touched before you get in,
Wash your remote if used,
Wash you vehicle where you touch the door to close it,
Wash your sunglasses were you touch to put on your face,
Wash your home door knobs and wash where you push on the door to close, if other than a door handle,
Wash where you place your bags on the counter,
Was all the items in the bag such as boxes, packages, etc,
Wash fruits, etc.
When I say wash I mean using a lysol type product or product wipe....

Just curious cause just changing clothes upon coming home does nothing.

And if you do all that;l do you find it excessive?

Old 08-01-2020, 09:10 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,735,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
And so much fine spray that a cloth wrapped over your nose and mouth does NOT stop, but gives people a nice warm fuzzy feeling and a sense of false security.

I'm curious to those who come home after going to a store and wash their clothes. Do you also:
Apply hand sanitizer to your hands, immediately upon leaving a store and before getting in your vehicle? If no, then do you:
Wash all your vehicles door handles inside/out that are touched before you get in,
Wash your home door knobs and wash where you push on the door to close, if other than a door handle,
Wash fruits, etc.

Why are you so worried about what other people do where it has no effect on you?

Old 08-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Why are you so worried about what other people do where it has no effect on you?
Believe me when I say I am NOT worried about what other people do unless it affects me. Jump in front of a truck, fine with me, just so long as it is not my truck (hate insurance claims)...get the idea?

However, it appears you are worried about the question I asked and that is ALL it is a question. Maybe be more inquisitive and ask why I would ask a question like this.

I see posts by people, one is a friend, about washing shoes, clothes, etc., after coming back from outside (presumably from a shopping trip) and it dawned on me this AM when walking out of Walmart to my truck and then the drive back to the house, into the house, letting dogs out etc., how many things are touched after a trip to a store. I am not knocking what a person does; I could care less if they walk fully clothes into a hot shower for twenty minutes. They do what they want to do and that is their right.

And all those things touched are probably re-touched again without any thought to the idea that a virus might still be on the item. Sunglasses, hats, two that come to mind.

I just thought about everything a person touches (and I most likely missed a few items) from a normal trip home from a shopping trip.

From the store to the truck, I touched a remote, my sunglasses, my hat, door handles, the top side of a vehicle door, the inside handle, my ignition key, ALL before I picked up a bottle of sanitizer. (I have used hand sanitizer since I had infectious Endocarditis back in '16; it is not a Wuhan virus thing, although it probably helps.) In fact the sanitizer bottle could have the virus. I pick it up with my right hand, shoot some sanitizer on my left hand, place the bottle back into the console, rub my hands and voila. However, if I had the virus on my right hand, it is now on the outside of the bottle.

Then when I get in the garage, I open the back door (same one I opened when I left the store before I used the sanitizer, I pick up a bag, open the door to the kitchen, then open the rear sliding door to allow the dogs to go outside, and more and more. Maybe I was too bored on the trip home; not sure. But I wondered. If people are worried about their clothes, do they, or should they, worry about all the other items that might have been, or actually were touched from a store to home.

So my curiosity got to me. THOUGHT I WOULD ASK IT HERE ON THIS THREAD; HOWEVER, I GUESS BY YOUR STANDARDS I SHOULD NOT ASK. Cause you believe, I am worried about what other people do.

Let me tell you, I really do not give a darn what anyone else does so long as it does not affect me or my dogs. If a person is really worried about the Wuhan virus, that is their right, as it is my right not to worry about it, but to take some general precautions (such as the hand sanitizer). The six foot physical distancing is quite alright with me. In fact I have been doing that for years as much as possible. If a person wants to jump in front of a moving vehicle it is their right and only reason I would care is if it was my vehicle. I learned a long time ago not to worry about what other people do so long as it does not affect me in any way.

People want to worry about a virus; fine, it is their right and their right to do anything to help protect them from the virus, as it is my right to not give a damn about the virus.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:30 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,753,848 times
[mod note] Calm down, everyone! There are no exact answers. Still too new and those in the know haven't figured it out yet. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 08-01-2020 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 01:40 PM

7,374 posts, read 12,653,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

Wash fruits, etc.

Yes, we do all that. We're kind of fond of living. And we wipe our cellphones with sanitary wipes. We spray light switches. We spray the mail with lysol and leave it to dry outside overnight. All non-perishable groceries are placed in a cardboard box for 2 days after being sanitized. We spray the soles of our shoes and leave them in the hallway. We even wash our dogs' feet with soap after a walk. It is a hassle, but we've got it down to a routine now. (Don't wash your fruit with lysol, please. Dish-washing detergent will do. Rinse well.)

I don't mean to be controversial here, but the mask issue seems nothing sort of vital for us in the higher-risk groups. I had to go to the ER recently, and I wore a double mask, latex gloves, and goggles. I washed my clothes and showered when I came home. Just because condoms don't work 100% of the time, is that enough of a reason not to use them?

Old 08-01-2020, 10:09 PM

29,209 posts, read 22,333,951 times
I have a baggie in my car I loaded with paper towels dampened with some spray 409. I keep it in the console, and after I get in the car, I use one to wipe off the inside door handle, the armrest, and the steering wheel. The parts I touch as I get in the car.

I'll sometimes use it on my hands if they feel at all sticky or grimy. I sometimes squirt some 409 spray on the car's rubber floor mats and give them a quick wipe.I use a gentler spray on the co-pilot's seat, as I don't expect my dog gets much exposure, and that spray-down happens rarely.

When I get home, my laundry room is next to the garage door to the house, so I just stop, peel down, and dump my clothes in the washing machine. As I go out, I drop a pair of flops and a pair of undershorts in the laundry room so I can wear them upstairs.

Then, I either wash my face and maybe other parts in my bathroom or take a quick shower. Then I put on fresh clothes and I'm good.

If I come back from a grocery run, the Crocs come off for the flops, but everything else stays on until the groceries are all in the house and stashed where they go. And then go down to the laundry room.

I don't worry much about packed food's safety, but I typically wash all the fresh food in a weakened water/vinegar solution in the sink, followed by a fresh water rinse.

None of this is extreme, and it's all as easy as I can make it. I really don't sweat going out unless I'll be going into a crowded situation where folks won't be wearing their masks as they should.

That's the only time I take extra precautions in the car and at home, and try to keep distanced while I'm in the crowd.

But when I don't go out at all, I can be a real slob some days. I don't expect any company, so I've tended to let the house go. Probably too much.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:04 AM

Again, I was just curious. And I guess you could say I'm sort of fond of living too and I am 72, soon to be 73. However, honestly I have no desire to do what some of you are doing.

Even when I was at the hospital a month or two ago for my yearly echocardiogram, I just wore the required mask they gave me when I walked into the door. And the two trips to my Doctor no mask was required and right now wondering if I am required to wear a mask for my Cardiologist appt. tomorrow up in Idaho Falls. (Like usual, I will take it with me and wear if required.)

As for fresh fruit, I always rinse it off good before eating, been doing that for years, not so much for a decease but to remove any of the pesticides, fertilizers that might have been sprayed on the fruit.

Food packages for shelves, fridge or freezer are just thrown into the correct location and used whenever.

Mail....usually from the mailbox to the garbage can since 95 percent of snail mail is junk. (Same with email.)

Talking with my friends out of state in NC, MI, TN, UT, they are all like me in what we are doing when out and about or when returning to the house.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:52 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,469,707 times
- Mask
- Work gloves... I can get them off without touching the 'touch' surfaces and do so before taking my keys or wallet out of my pocket, entering the car, or touching the steering wheel. So the germs stay on the glove touch surfaces. Germ killer in car.
- No clothes changing
- Mail quarantined for a day or 2 with a spray, ditto for packages, all groceries get cleaned (packaged or not) as they get handled by the cashiers and move on the belt. Hardware and auto store items usually don't get cleaned.
- Hand washing after every possible exposure above.

It is all about reducing your % chance of the virus trying to make the leap to you. There is no 100% guaranteed way to prevent if you are living life; you just lower the odds. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho