Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 08:36 AM

25 posts, read 37,461 times

Advertisements

We all know prices have been going up in North Idaho / CDA area. But surely this can't continue forever, right? How does this play out over the next 5/10/25 years?

Do we just become the next Jackson Hole, WY or San Francisco (housing wise, at least), where only the super-rich can live here?

Do we have a sudden housing crash as people decide that while it's a desirable area, it's not worth the money?

Or do market forces and additional supply/construction eventually catch up with all the money and demand coming from out of state, and we come back down to a reasonable housing cost?

None of us have a crystal ball but what do people here think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 11:41 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
It's simply a matter of the economic law of "Supply and Demand". Won't change until most of the Baby Boomers have retired. The other driving force is those of one political persuasion leaving an area controlled by the opposite political philosophy.

Then there is the competing interest between those already here who want to preserve what little prairie is left against those who would develop it for urban uses. Restrict the supply of something and the cost of it will increase.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-22-2020, 12:09 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
"Reasonable" is a very relative word when it comes to real estate.

The growth in CDA is not the same as the growth in Jackson Hole. There's a lot of difference in just about anything that comes to mind when comparing those 2 towns.

Even so, I' sure you won't ever see the same housing prices in CDA you saw there in 2010 again. Once a city accommodates to a sudden growth spurt, it has to stay at that size afterward or things can really go bad. Think of Detroit. That city is now 1/3 as large as it once was.

That's housing collapse. It follows employment collapse and the collapse of city services. Houses are most folk's largest life investment, and owners don't easily give up their homes.

CDA Hasn't been growing at this rate for decades. It's been able to keep up with the newcomers pretty well until quite recently. I'm sure the city will feel the pinch of stretching at its seams for a while, but a slowdown will come, and that will allow CDA time to catch up to the growth.

If it continues to boom, that probably means CDA Is only keeping up with the times. It might not be able to do that forever, but that's something that's next to impossible to predict.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:15 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It's simply a matter of the economic law of "Supply and Demand". Won't change until most of the Baby Boomers have retired. The other driving force is those of one political persuasion leaving an area controlled by the opposite political philosophy.

Then there is the competing interest between those already here who want to preserve what little prairie is left against those who would develop it for urban uses. Restrict the supply of something and the cost of it will increase.
You brought up an interesting point, Volo.
Preserving an area's natural beauty is something both old-timers and newcomers want. It can happen when a city and/or county makes it a priority and plans around natural preservation.

Things will change, of course, and some of nature could be lost, but growth can be planned around keeping a much nature as possible. All it takes is unrelenting citizen demand to make it happen.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:21 PM

726 posts, read 329,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaid View Post
None of us have a crystal ball but what do people here think?
I'm far from any expert on the situation, and I have a hard time making predictions, especially about the future, but I'm thinking that if one already has property in NID, then the increasing prices is a good thing for one's property value. And if one doesn't already have property in NID, maybe it's not the worst time to get in on the boom?

Old 10-22-2020, 12:38 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
If you own, increasing prices are only good if you want to sell. Otherwise increasing prices only mean that your property taxes go up.

Increasing population means crowd roads, crowded school, crowded boat launches, crowded trails, crowded stores, and the very real danger that all the incomers will chip away at it until they turn this area into what they were fleeing to begin with.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:41 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
To answer the original question, real estate prices always run in cycles. They go up, they go down, then they go up, then they go down again.

Government interference makes the cycle a lot deeper.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:15 PM

561 posts, read 438,373 times
I just hope property in the NID sticks is still inexpensive when we get ready to buy/build! We are getting closer to our goal.

Fun fact, I’ll be interviewing for a job in Bozeman MT but their cost of living after looking in to it is a bit concerning to me even with the pay raise I’ll be getting. I will be able to afford it but I don’t want to have to pay it. Seems the influx of out of state residents—a lot of them with money—has played a factor in this increase.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
It is all about demographics and the economy.

In the late sixties and early 70's I spent a lot of time exploring ghost towns in the Sierra's. Couldn't avoid it as a Forest Service employee. Lots of very small towns built prior to the depression and then just GONE. Take the Hiawata Trail for a similar history in north Idaho.

I moved to Coeur d'Alene in the late 70's when it was undergoing is "first" boom. Five years later the economy was so depressed I celebrated when I sold the house for the same price I paid for it.

It was a small town in those days. Looking at demographics in this country the non-urban centers will become "ghost towns" again.

Coeur d'Alene is no longer a small town. Is it big enough as an urban area to draw the new demographic groups in America??

There will be major changes in real estate values in America as the baby boom dies off. My guess is that many people will have a very hard time selling their homes, just like I did in Coeur d'Alene with my first house.

Coeur d' Alene might be big enough now to avoid the worst of it.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:30 PM

726 posts, read 329,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you own, increasing prices are only good if you want to sell. Otherwise increasing prices only mean that your property taxes go up.
Yes, that's certainly a drawback. And selling, after finding what we were looking for, is not on the agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
...Fun fact, I’ll be interviewing for a job in Bozeman MT but their cost of living after looking in to it is a bit concerning to me even with the pay raise I’ll be getting. I will be able to afford it but I don’t want to have to pay it. Seems the influx of out of state residents—a lot of them with money—has played a factor in this increase.
So "cost of living" is that high in Bozeman? The only thing I know about Bozeman is my Gibson Songwriter 12-string was made at Gibson's acoustic plant there in 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho