Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 08:33 AM

726 posts, read 328,952 times

Advertisements

I thought this news story about migration in and out of Utah was sort of interesting (particularly since I recently moved to North Idaho from Utah). More people moved to Idaho from Utah than the other way around. Most movers from Utah went to Texas. Movers from Utah to Idaho was fourth-most (behind Arizona and California).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 12:58 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
I was one of those from UT to ID; tax purposes mainly. However, prior was MI to UT.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:32 PM

560 posts, read 437,097 times
Interesting article. Being in market research I find this sort of stuff fascinating.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:21 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
I find it interesting that California was number 3 to leave to. I wonder how many were actually going back to CA?

Old 11-24-2020, 11:34 AM

560 posts, read 437,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I find it interesting that California was number 3 to leave to. I wonder how many were actually going back to CA?
I surmise a good % of them are indeed.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:23 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
I thought this news story about migration in and out of Utah was sort of interesting (particularly since I recently moved to North Idaho from Utah). More people moved to Idaho from Utah than the other way around. Most movers from Utah went to Texas. Movers from Utah to Idaho was fourth-most (behind Arizona and California).
The move from Idaho to Utah and Utah to Texas makes some high-tech sense.
Idaho isn't really a high-tech state yet, though it has the potential to become one.
But Utah definitely is there, in a junior-league fashion that's very good positioning for Utah. There's really a lot of high tech in the Salt Lake Valley that has fueled the Salt Lake metro's growth very successfully, and it now providing a place for all the young Idahoan hot-rods a place to move up to in technical expertise and financially.

Utah cannot compete yet with Washington or California, but it may never want to, as it's doing mighty fine being in the center between the big boys in Seattle and Cupertino and the relatively small players in the Boise environs and other scattered parts of Idaho.

Idaho is doing all right as well, as it's feeding folks upward, and receiving expertise downward from Utah. And from California and Washington as well.

And in turn, Idaho is spreading out the high-tech wealth to the more desolate states; Wyoming, Montana, and parts of Nevada and possibly the Dakotas.

I think that in a nation that is as huge and geographically diverse as the United States, staying regional may be the better strategy for a low-population state's benefit that trying to become a national power-player.

There are a lot of impediments that could prevent Idaho from ever becoming an industrial power state, but not as many for the high-tech sector in approximately 2/3 of the state. That lack in the remaining 1/3 may prove to be beneficial as well in time if it provides solutions for overcoming terrain obstacles.

Last edited by volosong; 11-24-2020 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag

Old 11-24-2020, 03:54 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The move from Idaho to Utah and Utah to Texas makes some high-tech sense.
Idaho isn't really a high-tech state yet, though it has the potential to become one.
Boise definitely is a tech draw for out of staters and local tech companies are growing and the city continues attracting expansions and relocations for tech companies out of Silicon Valley and Seattle and Portland. There is a high tech corridor downtown that extends towards BSU. There are growing tech companies in Eagle and Meridian. Micron and HP aren't the only players in town.
Here is one example of dozens of recent articles written about the tech scene in Boise which is in a different realm when compared to the rest of Idaho.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/202002/...ge-cities.html

Old 11-25-2020, 09:25 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise definitely is a tech draw for out of staters and local tech companies are growing and the city continues attracting expansions and relocations for tech companies out of Silicon Valley and Seattle and Portland. There is a high tech corridor downtown that extends towards BSU. There are growing tech companies in Eagle and Meridian. Micron and HP aren't the only players in town.
Here is one example of dozens of recent articles written about the tech scene in Boise which is in a different realm when compared to the rest of Idaho.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/202002/...ge-cities.html
Yup.
The high-tech sector has spread out of the Treasure Valley into SE Idaho, but all of it combined is still far smaller that it is in Utah and Colorado.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:54 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Me too I would have thought CA was #1. Who is #1 and #2?
Once you leave CA one usually cannot afford to come back. Most people have been leaving because of high cost of living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho