Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 02:12 PM

46 posts, read 53,737 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I just stumbled across this forum.

Spent my entire life (60+ years) in CO. Both my wife's family and mine homesteaded here.
Now that CO has become "East California", I can no longer tolerate living here. Denver is as bad as San Francisco,
CO Springs is getting worse by the day and the gay governor is doing everything in its power to destroy the state economy.
Based on the limited research I have done, it looks like Idaho would be a good place to escape the madness.

I'm hoping the good people here can give me a few tips on where I might want want to start looking.
(Probably another year or two till I make the great escape)

Based on experience here in CO, I want to avoid any areas that are trending blue or already too liberal.
I consider myself very conservative but I don't go around shoving it in other peoples faces. I'm a live & let live kinda guy.
I like seasons, and some snow is fine, but I've had my fill of shoveling snow and being snowed-in for days at a time.
On the other side, I really don't enjoy 90+ days either. I really hate wind too. (70 MPH + is not uncommon here)

I have never lived anywhere that I couldn't see the mountains. I have never lived in the city and hate big cities in general.
I grew up farming & ranching so I'm fine living in a rural or sparsely populated area as long as it's within 50 miles or so
of civilization. (Walmart, Home Depot, etc)

Based on this limited info, what might be some good areas to investigate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 02:38 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,673,059 times
North part of Teton Valley.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-22-2020, 03:27 PM

5,557 posts, read 4,901,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrunaway View Post
Hi all!
I just stumbled across this forum.

Spent my entire life (60+ years) in CO. Both my wife's family and mine homesteaded here.
Now that CO has become "East California", I can no longer tolerate living here. Denver is as bad as San Francisco,
CO Springs is getting worse by the day and the gay governor is doing everything in its power to destroy the state economy.
Based on the limited research I have done, it looks like Idaho would be a good place to escape the madness.

I'm hoping the good people here can give me a few tips on where I might want want to start looking.
(Probably another year or two till I make the great escape)

Based on experience here in CO, I want to avoid any areas that are trending blue or already too liberal.
I consider myself very conservative but I don't go around shoving it in other peoples faces. I'm a live & let live kinda guy.
I like seasons, and some snow is fine, but I've had my fill of shoveling snow and being snowed-in for days at a time.
On the other side, I really don't enjoy 90+ days either. I really hate wind too. (70 MPH + is not uncommon here)

I have never lived anywhere that I couldn't see the mountains. I have never lived in the city and hate big cities in general.
I grew up farming & ranching so I'm fine living in a rural or sparsely populated area as long as it's within 50 miles or so
of civilization. (Walmart, Home Depot, etc)

Based on this limited info, what might be some good areas to investigate?
Good luck on your search.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:46 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,717,621 times
I think you have a pretty fair shake just about anywhere OTHER than anything close to Boise. Whether it's Southern Idaho in general, up towards Idaho Falls, or up in the North area Coeur d' Alene and beyond you should be pretty clear of that liberal muck.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:43 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,597,071 times
Depends in part on how much snow you can take now.

Here are some possibilities that are not "heavy" on snow but still near mountains:

St. Maries, Midvale, Burley or south of it, north of Mountain Home, Inkom to Lava Hot Springs. Maybe Orofino. Horseshoe Bend to Garden Valley.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-22-2020 at 10:52 PM..

Old 11-23-2020, 09:13 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,444,108 times
You found a good forum, IMHO. Do you want to be deep in the mountains or is a flat valley with a mountain view OK? BTW, it is hard to find a spot in ID where you cannot see the mtns on a clear day. Even in the middle of the Snake River plain, you can see them if you are not in a hole. It is more a matter of how close you want to be. So IMHO, it is more a matter of other factors.

How much land are you going to buy and will you be farming or ranching? In other words, do you need to make a living after moving or not?

Do you need the property to be readily re-saleable and to be able to get your money out of it later, or do you expect/want to be there 'til they bury you (so that you don't really care about re-sale)? There are less expensive areas that are somewhat far out, but the turnover of property is slower, and the chance of losing money at a later sale is higher. (Like up in the Big and Littlle Lost River valleys or the Lehmi Valley) Then there are growing areas that will probably keep growing, like the Teton Valley as mentioned, where property resale will more likely be better over the long term.

Any price range limits?

Old 11-23-2020, 10:26 AM

46 posts, read 53,737 times
Wow, it looks like I hit the jackpot for getting the info I'm looking for!

Here's some more "wish list" items:

I have no <need> to live in the mountains as long as I can see em', but I'm not opposed to it either.
Flatland or valleys would be OK as long as it's not desert or a flood plain.
Also hoping to avoid areas that have inversions or cold pooling in the winter.
I don't mind a few inches of snow now & then, but hoping to avoid big dumps or places that drift a lot.
No need to make a living & no plans for farming or ranching. (but I'm not opposed to be living close to it)
I'm not looking for acreage, but if it comes with a great view or property I'm not opposed to having more land.
Not concerned about resale (as long as values aren't going down) but if I end up with a lot of land, the option to subdivide in the future would be good.
Not planning on spending more than $700K-$800K.

Thanks for the help so far, & keep those suggestions coming!

Old 11-23-2020, 11:07 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrunaway View Post
Wow, it looks like I hit the jackpot for getting the info I'm looking for!

Here's some more "wish list" items:

I have no <need> to live in the mountains as long as I can see em', but I'm not opposed to it either.
Flatland or valleys would be OK as long as it's not desert or a flood plain.
Also hoping to avoid areas that have inversions or cold pooling in the winter.
I don't mind a few inches of snow now & then, but hoping to avoid big dumps or places that drift a lot.
No need to make a living & no plans for farming or ranching. (but I'm not opposed to be living close to it)
I'm not looking for acreage, but if it comes with a great view or property I'm not opposed to having more land.
Not concerned about resale (as long as values aren't going down) but if I end up with a lot of land, the option to subdivide in the future would be good.
Not planning on spending more than $700K-$800K.

Thanks for the help so far, & keep those suggestions coming!
The way I see it Boise is out, it's the largest city and leans left.

I'm guessing you don't want to live in the mountains, that's where the majority of the snow hits.

Basically, you might want to eyeball Twin Falls, Pocatello, Idaho Falls and well the Snake River valley.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:30 PM

32,487 posts, read 47,425,133 times
If you don't want snow, I suggest that you look at states a lot further south. Idaho gets snow, probably more snow than they get in many of the locations in Colorado. Occassionally, the snow is light and fluffy, but often it is heavy and wet.

I notice because my snow blower does not like heavy wet snow so it is hard to ignore.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:02 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,030,500 times
Would Lewiston be a good choice? More hills than mountains, but I think it's pretty (based on photos, never been myself). Only about ten or fifteen inches of snow, average Jan. low of 30°F, which would be a huge improvement over almost anywhere in Colorado. Essentially unlimited access to water, which is a big plus in the west.

How good is the medical care in Lewiston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho