Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 12,499 times

Advertisements

Hi all, it looks like for 2021 I may soon have the chance to relocate out of personal choice rather than for work with the boom in remote work, and Idaho and Montana have appealed to me for a long time (with multiple visits apiece) due to my interest in hiking, wildlife viewing, and fly fishing. I don't want to make a decision based on overromanticized visions, though, so I could use some real world input on where might feel like the best fit.

Outdoor sports are important to me as mentioned; ability to have a yard/ and fruit/vegetable garden is also important to me (I see that CDA gets more rain/snow than Moscow or Missoula, does this make gardening easier? Or not so much since summer is relatively dry in all 3 places?)

Nightlife is not really a concern for me, so a trendy bar scene makes no difference (is Moscow a particularly party-type college town?). A variety of restaurants is nice but not a requirement; a decent mid-range grocery store is most important to me since I can cook almost anything I might want if I can get ingredients. I am single without kids, but socially I would like a reasonably-sized 30something dating pool, ideally.

Weather-wise I've lived several years in Michigan and New England, so while I may not quite be used to the volume of snow in N ID or W Montana, I'm no California refugee either. Politically, I lean right on many issues but am pro-environment and not religious, so I don't fit cleanly in any category - I don't really fit into places that are either ultra-liberal or ultraconservative in a militantly religious way.

So basically, I'm deferring to the advice of locals on where might be the best place to relocate, and welcome any questions on points requiring clarification. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-31-2020, 04:50 PM

648 posts, read 431,556 times
CDL does snow clearing on most city streets. Other places do that?

Old 12-31-2020, 05:09 PM

274 posts, read 318,443 times
I lack expertise in the areas themselves other than a lot of CDA searching, but as a fellow searcher seeking refuge in Idaho make sure you look at the internet situation for remote work. You sound like someone who may want to live out of town a bit to enjoy nature, and at least for CDA the internet choices can be slim to even none (other than satellite) not that far out of town depending on topography. We're on the cusp of Starlink potentially solving that problem for this type of area, but not quite there yet.

You may already be aware but just wanted to throw that in. Good luck with your search!

Old 12-31-2020, 07:01 PM

10 posts, read 12,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
I lack expertise in the areas themselves other than a lot of CDA searching, but as a fellow searcher seeking refuge in Idaho make sure you look at the internet situation for remote work. You sound like someone who may want to live out of town a bit to enjoy nature, and at least for CDA the internet choices can be slim to even none (other than satellite) not that far out of town depending on topography. We're on the cusp of Starlink potentially solving that problem for this type of area, but not quite there yet.

You may already be aware but just wanted to throw that in. Good luck with your search!
Thanks blockzilla, that is a point I had thought about but forgotten to ask about. It looks like Charter Spectrum is pretty available on the western and northern sides of the lake, but on the eastern side on up the mountains it's Ziply and then nothing - so I may consider your advice and look close to town starting out, especially since I think it may be smarter to rent for a year first and get the lay of the land before buying anywhere. I would also like to have recycling pick-up available (for a fee understandably) as an option starting out, so that is another reason to look close to town.

Is the upswing in real estate prices in N ID as bad as some people are saying? Should I be considering other areas of Idaho as well? (my income has been in and is expected to stay in the 80K-100K/year range before taxes so I am not hurting, but I am also not looking to buy a $600K house any time soon)

Old 12-31-2020, 08:38 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAngler View Post
Is the upswing in real estate prices in N ID as bad as some people are saying?
Yes. The market is going nuts. Multiple offers, some above-asking-price. You have to act fast these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAngler View Post
Should I be considering other areas of Idaho as well? (my income has been in and is expected to stay in the 80K-100K/year range before taxes so I am not hurting, but I am also not looking to buy a $600K house any time soon)
I think you can find something quite nice; modest, but not lavish, and well kept-up for $350k-$400k. That's the lower end of something nice that won't need a lot of work and updating. But as I said, you'll have to act quick when something becomes available. Maybe even purchase sight-unseen.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-01-2021, 12:09 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
The three areas are different in many ways but similar in others. Obviously Moscow and Missoula are college towns (moreso in Moscow), but are driven by their State Universites. NID probably has more in common with Missoula from a “feel” standpoint, both being near to the mountains. Moscow feels more Eastern Washinton-ish. You didn’t ask but NID is the most conservative area of the three. Weather is about the same in all three.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:21 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
NID gets 60 inches of snow per year. Lots of snow.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:05 AM

85 posts, read 137,844 times
Stay away from Moscow, far away. Its a flipping horror story here and it's getting worse.

I wrote about it, much more in depth a while ago.

Gotta watch my BP.

Sorry.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Sensible gardening can be tried each place with sensible expectations. Moscow has some of the best soil in world, in places but maybe not every little place.

You dont really offer strong qualifiers, so can't rule out any of the 3 for you or make much selection. Moscow's drawback is not being as much right in thick mountains but outdoor access is reasonable. Missoula might be too expensive and / or liberal but some moderates and conservatives manage, especially away from heart of the city.

CDA leans older. Either you are ok with / like that relative to the others or you don't. CDA average age 36. 40% over 45. Missoula in town average age 32. 33% over 45. Outside of town older but cant say exactly without more work. Moscow, average age 25. 23% over 45.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:27 PM

524 posts, read 152,524 times
@NWCrow

Very useful info with the age breakdown. Never thought of that before, but now that I know, I can see CDA looking better. Still haven't ruled out Pokey; and Powell, Lander, or Sheridan, WY; and a couple towns in MT are still on my list. But I have a lot of time yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho