Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 09:18 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times

Advertisements

MTJoe is right.
When in doubt about the weather, stick to the major routes.

They are always the first to get the snowplows and the other winter attention. They are patrolled more often, and any accidents get faster response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 09:56 AM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTJoe View Post
Ummmm you literally cross the Continental Divide like twice between Idaho Falls and Butte.
I-90 between Butte and Missoula gets heavy snowfall.
93 and 200 will get less maintenance then 90 and there is a steep climb on 93 just out of Wye.
I can't guarantee it but I suspect 95 is better in an apples-to-apples storm than 200.

If you are headed to "just outside Sandpoint" on 200 I'd personally recommend 15/90/95/200.
Other options would be 5/90/95/200 or 5/84/395/90/95/200.
Stick to major routes if you're nervous about travelling in winter conditions. My $.02
Ummmmm right, but I'm talking about no mountain driving along scary ledges and hairpin turns. And I just don't remember 93 being your typical mountain driving between Wye and Ravalli. We do it every year. But my idea of steep may be different from your idea of steep.

I'll agree that where the OP needs to get to on 200 would be a deciding factor for me, too, because 200 is long and winding, but for us, going to Clark Fork, it is an easier route than going up 95 through Riggins and Plummer. But regardless of the 200 location, I would still not recommend the Lewiston Grade and the White Bird Grade (95) going north in winter. Super steep.

15/90/95/200 puts you really far to the east, and you still have to deal with two mountain passes on W90 to get to CdA and N95. But it's a major freeway, and it will be plowed. Although i know of people who have been stuck on either side of Lookout Pass in a blizzard.

5/84/395/90/95/200 is a route we have taken many times, and it is fine except for if the weather is terrible in NorCal. In that case I wouldn't choose I-5 coming up from SoCal, either, going over Mt. Shasta, even if it is a major freeway. (If the weather is good, I would go through Bend rather than Portland and cut off a major portion of the trip).

Just my own $.02, from having traveled all those routes many times, but never in the dead of winter.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:21 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
I've made many trips from SoCal to NID in winter, both directions. The route I usually took, and never had any issues was, (starting in the Antelope Valley), north on CA14 to US395. Gas up in Bishop, then hop over the White Mountains on US6 and pick up US95 headed north. Stay on US95 and gas up in Hawthorne, NV. Continue north on US95 to where it intersects I80. Head north/east on I80 to Winnemucca, NV. Gas up in Winnemucca, (also a good half-way point to sleep overnight).

Take US95 north out of Winnemucca and into Oregon. US95 takes you across the extreme southeast corner of Oregon and into Idaho. First Idaho gas stop is at Marsing. Continue north on US95 until it intersects I84. Take I84 north/west back into Oregon at Ontario and over the Blue Mountains into Tri Cities.

Sometimes the wind is pretty brutal in that part of Oregon and if you can gas up at Parma or Payette instead of Marsing, you should have enough to get to the Costco in Kennewick. I've gone through La Grande and over the Blue Mountains in a raging snow storm where they would not let anyone onto the freeway, (but if you were already on, they let you proceed). I saw one car between La Grande and Pendleton. That's all.

Out of Tri Cities, take US395 north until it intersects I90. I90 is a straight shot into Spokane. Another Costco gas stop in Spokane, or you can wait to fill up at the Costco in Coeur d'Alene, (much less expensive). Then north on US95 to Sandpoint and where you need to be.

That's what works for me. Snow was never an issue, (and there was some at times). Depending on when I leave, I crawl in the back of the SUV to get a few hours sleep at the gas station in Winnemucca. I've also spent the night on the side of the road in that SE part of Oregon. That is really, really remote. Semi trucks also pull off on that stretch to get some rest/sleep. Saw the Milky Way for the first time in my life on that stretch. Just no lights anywhere around that area.

- - -

Word of warning: Was stopped by the local constable in Parma for speeding. I missed the first "35 MPH" sign because I was looking at the gasoline station price sign. Saw the second "35 MPH" sign and immediately slowed down to that speed. About a minute later, I was pulled over.

He let me go because he said he saw me slow down at the second sign and I told him that I missed the first one because I was looking at the price sign at the gas station. (I think having a Veteran license plate on the car helped too.) We had a nice chat before we went on our respective ways.

Be sure to slow down when you enter these little towns. All of them. In Nevada and Idaho, (you are on the freeway in NE Oregon and WA). There is one town in SE Oregon you go through. They also patrol the 395 in the Owens Valley pretty heavily too.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-06-2021, 11:48 PM

Be aware the speed limit in Oregon is 65.
I picked up a $250 fine in less than 10 minutes of driving a friend's car outside of Baker City once.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:51 PM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Be aware the speed limit in Oregon is 65.
I picked up a $250 fine in less than 10 minutes of driving a friend's car outside of Baker City once.
And you can't pump your own gas! But the Oregonians are very good at telling you what you can't do. Lots of signs along the freeways.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:11 PM

551 posts, read 803,365 times
I went almost the same way as Volosong but stayed on the 395 a bit longer and cut over toward Hawthorne at Mono Lake. I had my mom with me and the rest stop was great at June Lake since it had a separate disabled restroom that I could wheel her into. Usually stopped in Winnemucca at the Winnemucca Inn.

The last time I went that way it was snowing like crazy between Winnemucca and the Idaho border. Oregon increased the speed limit on the 95 from McDermitt from 55 to 70 (I think) but I had to go around 45 with the snow. That sucked.

I think Oregon may have got rid of the restriction on gassing up your car on your own but not sure. I know that that you could do it before in certain counties with low population numbers.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:33 AM

5 posts, read 4,540 times
Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Old 01-16-2021, 07:42 PM

Hi, Beek...
I suggest studying all the options you were given here, and then watch the weather closely. The weather always makes winter driving unpredictable.

It's good to know there's a good second route that's better than the planned one after a spate of stormy weather.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:43 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
True, have multiple routes as options. That said, if the entire region is hit with a major snowstorm, then most of those routes will likely be effected. I have said this before, Interstates are the best bet as they get the most attention in inclement weather. Sometimes Interstates are not always the most direct route, but they can be the best route. But they can be shut down even quicker than some two lane highways as well. It really is a crap shoot.

Looks like after a mild start the PNW is going to turn colder here at the end of January. Shades of Feb. '19? Let's hope not.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:03 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Looks like after a mild start the PNW is going to turn colder here at the end of January. Shades of Feb. '19? Let's hope not.
The Monday issue of the CdA Press is usually pretty small. Just two sections, normally. The local meteorologist always contribute a multi-page article for the Monday edition. Today, they said that we are going to get hit with snow in the second half of January and February. They admit that so far, snowfall has been light, but we could still get hit pretty bad.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho