Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 07:45 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

This is the third day with no electricity. It's 30 degrees outside right now, so not too cold. It could definitely be worse.

The power company has been estimating Saturday before they can get CDA back on line, but there was an email from the power company this morning saying that another big storm is expected, and if that rips down more power lines, it might be longer.

There was a five day long power outage in my neighborhood a couple of years ago.

Something to keep in mind if you are moving here: it can get pretty darn cold if your heat system isn't working because the electricity is out. Plan for it and know how to survive it.

Just goes along with living in Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 10:14 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
You speak realism and that awesome with the number of folks wanting to move here.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:08 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I fell for ya. Down in the south end our worst outage was 4 hours and that was one time in 3 years. Hoping we don't get that stuff happening. I"m an all electric home so that would be a major issue.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:58 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
In the summer of 2015 or '16 while we were in Clark Fork there was a major power outage lasting a day or more, because of lightning strikes. Our neighbor lost most of their refrigerated eggs, because it coincided with a heat wave (remember?). They came over with eggs for us, so they wouldn't go to waste. We didn't even know about the outage, because we were still totally off the grid, and had our generator going, and propane refrigerator in the camper, and we can't see the lights from other homes at night, so the total darkness was not a giveaway. Sometimes being cut off from "civilized life" has its advantages! But that made us determine to get a wood stove instead of a pellet stove, and to always have a back-up generator ready even if we get hooked up to the grid.

OWS, I hope your power gets restored soon! One thing is summer power outages--it's a little different in winter! Scary!

Old 01-16-2021, 08:09 AM

The power is still out this morning. Temperature is 32 degrees, so the weather is good. The weatherman is saying a cold front is moving in and if they don't get the power on before the cold front hits, it might get ugly.

Small things to do to prepare:

I keep a couple of rechargeable lanterns fully charged at all times, so they are ready whenever the power goes out. There are big fat candles on my mantle as part of my decorating. When those are lit, they give enough light so you can see your way around the room. Sort of low production night lights. These two things, rechargeable lanterns and candles are things that everyone in Idaho should have where they can find them in total darkness.

If you are going to use a generator, keep it where you can get your hands on it and have fuel for it. Gas stations can not pump gas when the power is out. Gas pumps run on electricity. You can't run a generator inside the house, so know how you are going to get a power cord inside without letting too much cold air in.

You won't be able to recharge your phone, so save the phone battery for emergency use.

As soon as the lights flicker, the refrigerator door is not opened for anything. Your food will be fine for about 24 hours if you don't open the door and let the cold out. Freezers are good for days. But, keep a couple of big blocks of ice in the freezer that you can put into your fridge on the second day, to use the fridge as an ice box.

Of course, if you live in Idaho, you will already have warm jackets for everyone and lots of warm blankets. You will need those.

Anyone else have more suggestions?

Old 01-16-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I fell for ya. Down in the south end our worst outage was 4 hours and that was one time in 3 years. Hoping we don't get that stuff happening. I"m an all electric home so that would be a major issue.

The "south end"? The southern part of Idaho? Boise area? Boise doesn't get power outages?

An all electric home probably doesn't fare worse. Gas heat won't run without electricity for ignition and the fan.

Although, a gas cook top can usually be lit with a match for cooking. But people with electric stoves can have camp stoves or barbecues to use for cooking.

I've got a gas fireplace that has electric ignition, but it had an emergency battery pack installed, so mine can be used when the power is out. They don't come from the factory with battery ignition, so that has to be special ordered. Another thing to think of for planning ahead for those who have gas fireplaces.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
In the summer of 2015 or '16 while we were in Clark Fork there was a major power outage lasting a day or more, because of lightning strikes..........

Power outage isn't rare in summer. Usually (not always) the power is back on quicker. This outage is caused by a wind storm that ripped trees out of the ground and they pulled down the power lines.

Usually, summer outages are caused by thunder storms and lightening or wild fires.

Days are long in the summer, so you don't spend as much time sitting in the dark.

The big advantage of a winter power outage is that the food from your fridge can be set outside to keep it cold, and the food from the freezer can go outside if the outage lasts long enough. Although the freezers should be good for several days if you don't keep opening them.

My dog food is in my fridge, so I keep emergency cans of salmon to feed the dogs because I don't open the fridge when the power is out.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:36 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

If you have a well for water. You need a generator to get water. Your generator also needs to be "exercised" monthly or it probably won't start when you need it.

Not sure have the new septic systems that require pumping work without power?? Anybody know??

BTW....running a generator indoors will KILL you. I have plenty of CO detectors, having a off-grid house. I checked them once, but putting them all in the garage and running my car. After 30 minutes, none had gone off. I started the generator and EVERY CO detector went off in less than one minute.

I would also get a 100 watt solar panel, charge controller, and one of those old, sealed AGM booster batteries to charge and run phones, batteries, etc. I use that set-up to run my computers when camping.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:39 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The power is still out this morning. Temperature is 32 degrees, so the weather is good. The weatherman is saying a cold front is moving in and if they don't get the power on before the cold front hits, it might get ugly.

Small things to do to prepare:

I keep a couple of rechargeable lanterns fully charged at all times, so they are ready whenever the power goes out. There are big fat candles on my mantle as part of my decorating. When those are lit, they give enough light so you can see your way around the room. Sort of low production night lights. These two things, rechargeable lanterns and candles are things that everyone in Idaho should have where they can find them in total darkness.

If you are going to use a generator, keep it where you can get your hands on it and have fuel for it. Gas stations can not pump gas when the power is out. Gas pumps run on electricity. You can't run a generator inside the house, so know how you are going to get a power cord inside without letting too much cold air in.

You won't be able to recharge your phone, so save the phone battery for emergency use.

As soon as the lights flicker, the refrigerator door is not opened for anything. Your food will be fine for about 24 hours if you don't open the door and let the cold out. Freezers are good for days. But, keep a couple of big blocks of ice in the freezer that you can put into your fridge on the second day, to use the fridge as an ice box.

Of course, if you live in Idaho, you will already have warm jackets for everyone and lots of warm blankets. You will need those.

Bottled water
Protein bars
Charcoal we always have on hand in case we must grill.
Baby wipes, just in case you don't want a cold shower.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:03 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
We have a whole house generator, expensive to install, expensive to run. The longest outage we had was 4 days and it worked well. Being beyond paranoid, we got a backup to the backup, a $ 399 portable from Walmart with free shipping, tax included.

It gives us 1,600 watts with a bunch of extension cords. During the last 2-3 outages I was able to use the baby generator 80% of the time, for everything but the central heat and the electric range. 2 big tvs, refrigerators, a computer, coffee maker, microwave, toaster, all work, but not at the same time.

1.1 gallon of gas lasts 10-11 hours in our house. Your mileage might vary. Quiet, starts at the 2nd pull on the cord. Change the oil after 100 hours, an easy 15 minute job. After we got this the big Generac sits by itself, the poor lonesome thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho