Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 12:17 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
That's actually already happening for the last 15+ years in California -- communal family living. We Latinos have pioneered that art since, like, forever

When we do it, though, people call it "crowded", "ghetto" or "undesirable". When Anglos do it, it's heart-warming and like a segue into a Hallmark movie.

It's funny though that nobody considers California a "family-oriented" state, because we very much are! Probably more so than say Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming or Colorado.

I was just reading an article about Colorado Springs where groups of senior citizens on a fixed income were forced to share living spaces to avoid homelessness. One couple lost everything in savings and retirement due to the husband having medical bills from cancer treatment...Where the hell were their families?

Not everybody has a family, Apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 11:35 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,108,526 times
Zoning committees and planning commissions are where these decisions on property density are usually made. The city/county/state have a plan on how land is used. Usually there are several types of residential, commercial, agricultural and rural property zones/uses. The problem comes when a developer buys agricultural land, that is zoned one residence per 40 acres (for example), but requests a rezoning to residential at lot sizes of 6500 SF. There will be public hearings in the city (usually held monthly) that the public can make comments at in favor or against the rezoning request. Then the zoning committee makes recommendations to the planning commission or mayor, and the decision is made yes or no. If no one shows up to make arguments against the proposed rezoning, then its more likely the changes will be made.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:08 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Not everybody has a family, Apple.
That's true! And, Colorado is supposed to be a "blue" state...but doesn't that show how terrible our social safety net is on the whole?

Old 05-15-2021, 08:31 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Makes sense, especially the last bit. All in all it’s just frustrating to see this sort of thing as you can imagine.
The bottom line fact behind all of this is that there are more people in the world every day, and they have to live somewhere. Most of us have had the chance to make choices to live in a certain place that we like, and that is a choice that all should have if we believe in equality. IMHO, it shouldn't be a case of 'my equal is more equal than yours'.... otherwise, we are heading back to the totalitarian parable of 'Animal Farm' and Soviet style orders on where one can live.

As for apartment growth, we see it in my locale going rampant too. BUT, I think this is going to slow down. For some years on the whole housing situation, you may recall all the articles about millenials foregoing house living and preferring apartment living. Well, now the articles are about how the millenials are buying houses... not a big surprise as apartment living has it limitations and disadvantages, especially when the kiddies come along.

Large real estate development take several years to make happen, and so what we see for large apartment complexes going up now started into planning in 2107-2018. I think the construction switch is going on to single family residences, so the apartment craze is going to slow, but it will take a couple of years for the present projects to slow down.

So the next area of concern is going to be more single family housing developments. It's not going to stop until population growth stops. (Then you have an economic decline to deal with... but that is another story.)

Old 05-15-2021, 11:51 AM

560 posts, read 437,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
The bottom line fact behind all of this is that there are more people in the world every day, and they have to live somewhere. Most of us have had the chance to make choices to live in a certain place that we like, and that is a choice that all should have if we believe in equality. IMHO, it shouldn't be a case of 'my equal is more equal than yours'.... otherwise, we are heading back to the totalitarian parable of 'Animal Farm' and Soviet style orders on where one can live.

As for apartment growth, we see it in my locale going rampant too. BUT, I think this is going to slow down. For some years on the whole housing situation, you may recall all the articles about millenials foregoing house living and preferring apartment living. Well, now the articles are about how the millenials are buying houses... not a big surprise as apartment living has it limitations and disadvantages, especially when the kiddies come along.

Large real estate development take several years to make happen, and so what we see for large apartment complexes going up now started into planning in 2107-2018. I think the construction switch is going on to single family residences, so the apartment craze is going to slow, but it will take a couple of years for the present projects to slow down.

So the next area of concern is going to be more single family housing developments. It's not going to stop until population growth stops. (Then you have an economic decline to deal with... but that is another story.)
Good points.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:05 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
I'm speechless on this one....

https://cdapress.com/news/2021/may/14/very-taxing/

Old 05-15-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
This is only the beginning. Everyone one of these states with massive migration will see an ever increase of property tax the more development it gets. The good ole days are long gone.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:22 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
This is only the beginning. Everyone one of these states with massive migration will see an ever increase of property tax the more development it gets. The good ole days are long gone.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
If it makes you feel any better Texas seems to be getting the worst of it. So that's a positive for those in the northwest? I suppose I could be wrong and I hope I am, but, seeing what happened to Texas the last ~7 years or so with the population boom and sudden property tax increases leads me to believe it could happen. I'd welcome being wrong, I really do because we want to live up there (ID/MT/WY) and not here (TX).

Old 05-15-2021, 08:27 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
If it makes you feel any better Texas seems to be getting the worst of it. So that's a positive for those in the northwest? I suppose I could be wrong and I hope I am, but, seeing what happened to Texas the last ~7 years or so with the population boom and sudden property tax increases leads me to believe it could happen. I'd welcome being wrong, I really do because we want to live up there (ID/MT/WY) and not here (TX).
Texas is recruiting alot the businesses from CA and welcoming them with open arms as CA is not business friendly because of cost $$$ and tons of restrictions to abide by. Elon Musk threw in the towel on CA and left for Texas as he has his space program there.
I wouldn't want to go to Texas too hot even though there is an ocean there. They get hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho