Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 971 times

Advertisements

Greetings! We are exploring the possibilities of moving from Oregon...we've got people here trying to make those teaching responsible animal husbandry a felony and tired of living under a dictator. Years ago, my aunt lived in Salmon, and I remember it being beautiful, and hot in the summer. Can anyone provide info on what Salmon and surrounding areas are like currently? Winter driving conditions? Youth activities (have kids in 4H, sports, etc). Thank you very much for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 06:13 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,032 times
Salmon is on the NW edge of what is high arid country.... it's right at a transition zone. So on the edge of dry to the south and east and forested to the west and north. The lots of NF and wilderness areas, 100% so to the west and north.

Snow is going to vary depending on exactly where you live, but it is not big snow country, and most of the roads are in the valleys. But you'll get some from time to time. Can get veeery cold in winter at times, sometimes waaay, below 0F. So if you are from the coastal area of Oregon, then you're gonna experience much larger summer to winter temperature changes and it will be super dry compared to Oregon west of the Cascades.

Long drive to anywhere for large shopping. Missoula is north up and over a high pass, and Idaho Falls would be to the SSE. Both are 2.5-3 hours away.

That is about what I know.... I've been in and around the area but not to the detail of knowing things like 4H. IDK 100% but from what I have seen, ag in the valleys in that region is mostly limited to livestock and hay.

The scenery doesn't stop....!

Old 06-08-2021, 12:15 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plh73 View Post
Greetings! We are exploring the possibilities of moving from Oregon...we've got people here trying to make those teaching responsible animal husbandry a felony and tired of living under a dictator. Years ago, my aunt lived in Salmon, and I remember it being beautiful, and hot in the summer. Can anyone provide info on what Salmon and surrounding areas are like currently? Winter driving conditions? Youth activities (have kids in 4H, sports, etc). Thank you very much for your time.
Do you mean Salmon near Grangeville, Idaho? That isn't in East Idaho. My best friend lived there. Very cold, windy with lots of snow and ice.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:29 AM

11 posts, read 9,059 times
I always thought Idaho was referenced as North and South. I didn't know anyone delineated an East West identifier.

Salmon's a pretty town. Albeit rural. Be self sufficient.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:53 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjssbb View Post
I always thought Idaho was referenced as North and South. I didn't know anyone delineated an East West identifier.
East/West to differentiate Boise environs from IF, Pocatello, Driggs, etc. North/South has the mountains in between.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-08-2021, 10:01 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
Salmon the town is in northeast Idaho.

The Salmon river runs near Grangeville but I am not aware of any town by than name in the area. No other on my map or on the internet.

Grangeville to Salmon is an almost 300 mile drive by main roads. There is a shorter distance route on a very very wild road thru the wilderness (Magruder corridor) but it won't be quicker and is not for most people or vehicles. Only in summer. Bring all your fuel. Tree deadfall can be an issue.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-08-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 06-08-2021, 10:36 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
There are a few previous threads on Salmon. Maybe your request will pull out new information but I'd search the earlier ones too. Tool at top right of forum page.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:35 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjssbb View Post

Salmon's a pretty town. Albeit rural. Be self sufficient.
East and West applies mostly to the southern end of the state, where Idaho is at its widest. The identifier wasn't used much in the past, but since some of the state's fastest growth is in the Twin Falls area on the southwest edge of the state, and the entire southeast corridor, a long stretch of cities, is growing just as fast.

Twin is the only city of substantial size that's south of Boise, but there are 3 large (for Idaho) cities in the SE corridor; Pocatello, Idaho Falls, and Rexburg. Both east and west have many smaller surrounding towns that lie close to the big ones.

Why no south-central? Because that area is covered by an ancient lava flow. The lava isn't everywhere, but it's impossible to build a large city wherever there's a lot of it.

The entire state's middle is like that- full of obstructions. Beautiful, but hard to live in.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:25 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,361,676 times
We have the Western Idaho State Fair and Eastern Idaho State Fair.

Western and Eastern Idaho are actually very common to say and hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho