Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 08:03 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
The gas tax already doesn't cover the cost to our roads since cars have gotten heavier and more fuel efficient. You have to remember that the damage done to roads by weight is not linear with either weight or gas consumption. As much as I hate Taxes, you have to pay for the roads some how, unless you are willing to go full libertarian.
Good point on weight. All-electric cars are heavier than the equivalent gas powered cars. I was pretty surprised to see that the OP's new EV weighs 4600 lbs! But that is still minor league weight per wheel compared to loaded trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 08:50 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Well as others said, our roads have to be paid for somehow. The thing that irritates me more is the requirement to put all the bike lanes in when roads are rebuilt and they don't pay a cent toward the cost.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:32 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Well as others said, our roads have to be paid for somehow. The thing that irritates me more is the requirement to put all the bike lanes in when roads are rebuilt and they don't pay a cent toward the cost.
Not to worry. The Legislature will find a way to make bike riders pay their share. Nothing ever comes for free here for very long.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:45 PM

209 posts, read 316,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I would say that most bike riders also own a vehicle and are paying for the bike lanes through vehicle taxes like everyone else.

ETA: Also, when they choose to travel by bike they are putting less wear and tear on the roads than when driving, thus saving the taxpayers money in the long run.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:59 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNorthender View Post
I would say that most bike riders also own a vehicle and are paying for the bike lanes through vehicle taxes like everyone else.

ETA: Also, when they choose to travel by bike they are putting less wear and tear on the roads than when driving, thus saving the taxpayers money in the long run.
Right now, at this moment, you're probably correct. But once bike lanes are built, some riders abandon their cars as the lanes get increasingly more usage.

I think the most equitable way to makes sure everyone pays their fair share is to issue bike licenses that are similar to car and boat plates. Or any other way that is similar to how autos are taxed.

The developing changes in buying and owning cars is going to force a change in the tax system anyway, and I think it's better to be slightly ahead of the trend than behind it, especially if there are ways the taxes can come down. Even a slight decrease tends to make a new tax a lot more acceptable.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:23 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
NJ has turnpikes with toll booths, right?

Old 07-08-2021, 01:17 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Listen, I love living here and don't wish to be critical. However there was something I ran into recently that sure didn't make much sense. My typical driving done on a weekly basis is such minimal mileage I elected to trade out of my wonderful SUV into a new ID-4 VW electric SUV. I'm loving it in every way imaginable and am glad I did it. However when I went up to Gooding County's DMV office to get the registration transferred over (I got a 2 year registration on the Tiguan in April) the gal there explained they were hitting me up for an additional $150 per year due to the fact I'm driving an electric and not a gas vehicle. Seems the State here does NOT take the same attitude towards people who are no longer using gas. New Jersey as example offers a $2000 tax break to non gas vehicle registrations along with the Federal $7500 break when buying/leasing one.

My move to this was strictly motivated by my usage, not political to be sure. The gal explained because I'm no longer going to be buying gas and getting hit up for their gas tax, they instituted a back up plan to make sure they were going to be collecting that tax one way or another. Sheesh like I'm evading taxes due to the use of a non gas vehicle. I'm still not sorry about the switch but feel the State just stabbed me while doing something that is going to save the environment a bit as well. Guess there's no way around it. At least I get to wave and keep driving as I pass the Chevron and Shell stations.
I'm considering an EV for my next vehicle, and frankly support this type of fee. Everyone should be paying their fair share towards highway maintenance and construction-not just those that buy fuel. If I do go the EV route, I don't want to be seen as a deadbeat forcing others to pay my way. I also promote elimination of the EV welfare payment. EVs are viable on their own, we don't need to bribe people to buy them with taxpayer dollars.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
What doesn't make sense to you about this explanation?

The State of Idaho levies a fuel tax of $0.32/gallon of gasoline. $150/$0.32 = 468.75 gallons. So whether the state recovers more or less from you with your new electric vehicle depends on what your usage was before. Regardless, construction and maintenance of transportation infrastructure costs money and someone has to pay for it.

https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1119.cfm
You left out the federal gas tax from that calculation. That also goes into funding highways to some extent-and is lost revenue with EVs. $.183 on gas, $.243 on a gallon of diesel.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNorthender View Post

Nope. Bicyclists only make up for a small portion of the population, particularly when compared with drivers. And when they are on bikes, they are not paying those fuel taxes. We spend a disproportionate amount of money for a very small percentage of the population that utilizes bicycle trails/lanes. We need to start an annual registration fee on bicycles, and make that a dedicated source of funding for bike paths, and eliminate ANY spending of fuel tax revenue on them (or mass transit).

Old 07-08-2021, 02:05 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm considering an EV for my next vehicle, and frankly support this type of fee. Everyone should be paying their fair share towards highway maintenance and construction-not just those that buy fuel. If I do go the EV route, I don't want to be seen as a deadbeat forcing others to pay my way. I also promote elimination of the EV welfare payment. EVs are viable on their own, we don't need to bribe people to buy them with taxpayer dollars.
Umm that or the manufacturers need to come up with more thrifty costs for their models. I got a ID.4, the best way to go if not diving into a Tesla. It still ran list for $47k. No way I'd be literally able to buy a car of that level. But by the time we did the deal with that $7500 rebate it ended up $38k. Not great but tolerable. I'm already enjoying waving at the Chevron and Shell stations as I drive (silently) by with their $3.59 a gallon signs showing so proudly. My cost with Idaho power to do my average top off of my charging (about half a battery charge) runs me about $4.00. Sure beats my previous $40.00 stop for a lot less than a full tank in my Tiguan before.

I did some investigation in case I ever wanted to do a vacation and the various areas I go how difficult it would be to get charges to keep going. Virtually ALL Interstate travel is full of charging stations close enough it's not a big deal. Many with the fast charging capabilities such as a 20%-100% charge in 38 minutes. With VW they give you 3 free years of charging with the Electrify America stations which are nicely spaced as well to permit easy travel. Whether I go to Seattle, Jackson, Salt Lake or Vegas no worries to charge and it's literally either free or worst case for a full charge less then 1/2 of a gas vehicle. I'm not wearing out a gas engine, spark plugs, oil or transmission. That's also quite comforting. The battery on this one comes with a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. It's a 4 year lease so nothing for me to be concerned about. The ride is far beyond any other vehicle I've owned and I've had a number of premium vehicles. Handling is remarkable and if I need to pass someone it happens in seconds. I couldn't be happier to have made this move. Even with the sting of the added taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho