Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2021, 07:35 AM

607 posts, read 2,368,880 times

Advertisements

Folks, my son seems to be leaning towards these schools to pursue his college studies and also play baseball. He has visited 2 of the 3 schools in person briefly and is also researching their baseball programs. Can anyone shed more light on the vibe of any of these schools in respect to the student life, campus facilities, education quality and living on or near these campuses? Is the weather better or worse through the calendar year at any of these schools? Any advise for an out of state family trying research would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 11:44 AM

131 posts, read 197,788 times
I guess my first question would be what does he want to study?

Old 07-31-2021, 04:13 PM

Business and sports medicine are studies he is interested in. Which campus has the best design? Are these schools commuter schools or do most students come from further out and make the school their residence for the year?

Old 08-01-2021, 11:47 AM

131 posts, read 197,788 times
These are all small town campuses where most students live on or near the college. Very walkable for classes, but will need a car to get around town. For baseball, I think LCSC has the best program overall, but I have some personal bias in that regard. LCSC has an exercise science degree, but not sure of the others. I suggest a visit to check them all out.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:35 PM

What can you tell me about LC State re baseball? Any insight might be helpful. Coaches, facility, quality of play? Would be helpful as my sons both went to a camp there and seemed to enjoy it.

Old 08-02-2021, 04:27 PM

31 posts, read 41,998 times
Can't speak for the other 2 (though burbsgrrl is probably right that many students are local and commute), but at NNU a vast majority of students live on campus, and most are from out of the area.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:00 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
I think the best way to compare all 3 would be to request catalogs from each and then prepare a list of questions for what the catalogs fail to inform.
What's there is 1 state college, and 2 private colleges with one that is denomination specific to the Church of the Nazarene and the other is not.
To me, that almost guarantees the requirements for graduation is going to be different from each other.

I attended the College of Idaho for a couple of years, 50 years ago.
Back then, it ran on a trimester basis with a short but very intensive short semester in mid-winter when each class would run for at least 2 hours w/ 5 course credits. Carrying a course load of only about 3 or 4 classes was all a student could handle in that semester, and all of the classes were critical toward the student's degree.

The C of I back then was the smallest of the 3, the most expensive, and ws by far more demanding than any state college.

To reach the level of scholarship the school demanded back then was too demanding for the C of I to participate in conference sports, so the college dropped out of the Big Sky conference entirely a few years before I enrolled.
Only intramural sports were played when I was there.

But since then, that policy changed in 1988. The college is now in the Cascade Collegiate Conference, so the C of I is playing against colleges of similar size in Idaho, Oregon and Washington.

It's the oldest liberal arts college in Idaho, and 2 of our former Governors, and with a former Oregon Governor, graduated from the C of I, along with the current Pro Team of the Idaho State Senate. Joe Albertson and his wife were both graduates, and they became major benefactors to the college. It has graduated 7 Rhodes Scholars, and it's curriculum allows a student to earn a major and 3 minors in 4 years.

I know next to nothing about the other 2 on the list, and I really don't know what the College of Idaho is like now, except that it has a much better campus now than when I was there, and it's reputation for excellence hasn't declined.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:19 PM

314 posts, read 487,418 times
LC State Baseball is big in Lewiston. They host the NAIA World Series. In May and June there were numerous college baseball flags and pennants all over town. LC State baseball has won several championships at their level. I'm not an alum but I live in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: