Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 03:52 PM

29,184 posts, read 22,216,042 times

Advertisements

Has this issue been resolved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 09:43 AM

6,341 posts, read 7,703,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Has this issue been resolved?
No. The two long-serving, moderate trustees resigned last month, effective May 5th. Since the Board of Trustees only have two members and lacking a quorum, no business has been conducted. In this case, the State Board of Education steps in to appoint new trustees. They sought applicants from the three districts needing a new trustee.

Banducci and his lackey, McKenzie, filed a lawsuit to block the State Board of Education from appointing three trustees, insisting that the Board is only allowed to appoint one trustee. The judge denied the temporary restraining order and about a week later, the two dropped the lawsuit. They allege that the board is only allowed to appoint enough trustees to bring the board up to a quorum, (one in this case).

By appointing only one trustee, Banducci and McKenzie would out-vote the new member and they would appoint two new, like minded trustees giving them a 4-1 majority.

Last week, the board appointed three new trustees, who appear to be good, responsible civic servants, based on their resumés. It is still too soon to see if any of them are extreme right, which would restore their veto-proof majority. If not, there is talk about removing Banducci as the board chair.

The issue has divided Kootenai County between those on the extreme right wing of the political spectrum, (and many "sheep" who walk lock-step with them), and those with a more balanced, moderate viewpoint. It's not a good situation that shows no signs of being resolved anytime soon. The recommended "actions of correction" by the accreditation agency have been very slow to be implemented, and many have been ignored so far. Moral of the employees and instructors at the college is low.

There is an election this upcoming November . . . but it may be too late by then to save the college/accreditation.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-11-2022, 03:22 PM

I hope the issue is resolved before November.

Idaho has always lost too many of its best kids, the ones with the most potential, to other states.
Most of the loss came from the difficulties Idaho had for the kids to obtain college degrees, the essential thing that would carry them into their occupations and leadership.

Most of the problems were due to simply 2 factors; Idaho's size and its small population.

Our state government always did the best it could to remedy those factors, and continue to try to make higher education affordable and attainable.

Idaho has come a long way in improving both in the 50 years since I first attended college, and over all that long period, our state's government had many political differences that arose, but never blocked, the improvements.

The responsibility of free education (in terms of availability, not money), was given to the state when Idaho was founded, and until now, our government has never failed to live up to that responsibility.

It has been difficult many times to do that, especially when it came to the funding, but everyone the voters elected still took education as one of their most serious priorities. Even those who totally disagreed with how our higher education was being managed still understood the necessity of providing it.

Political obstruction has always been a difficulty, but until now, time and time, no matter how heated the education arguments in the State House became, our legislators always found a way, even when small, to advance our state's higher education.

To see that dedication be tossed away so casually and frivolously for the sake of some passing political advantage really saddens and troubles me deeply.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
To see that dedication be tossed away so casually and frivolously for the sake of some passing political advantage really saddens and troubles me deeply.
Indeed! The local Republican party organization has been taken over by members with an extreme right wing philosophy. Their latest "boondoggle" was to have their loyal members re-register as Democrats and run for Democrat precinct captain positions. It was an attempt to funnel democrat funds and monetary donations toward right wing candidates. Someone recorded a telephone conversation where they were caught "red handed". It has served to energize the Democrat party, but they still don't stand much of a chance up here in North Idaho. In reality, the Republican primary is in effect, the general election, at least for local candidates and offices.

The publication of recomemded candidates by the Kootenai County Republican Party has resulted in opposite viewpoints. There are those who will vote the ticket, no questions asked about qualifications or anything else . . . and there are those who use the guide to tell them who NOT to vote for. Not good as there are some highly qualified candidates on their recommended list.

I will most likely not run for re-election to my city council because when I ran two and a half years ago, they were not involved in non-partisan local elections. This past election, they were heavily involved. Since I am no longer a registered Republican, (about 20-25 years ago, now not registered with any other political party), there is no way I would get their recommendation.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:29 PM

The "soap opera" continues. Top of the fold on page one of today's paper is an article detailing that ICRMP will not renew the college's general liability, property liability, and employee liability insurance for next year. The destruction of the college by the extreme right-wing members of a major political party is almost complete.

Old 05-14-2022, 12:48 AM

I don't know enough, but I wonder if a referendum vote on the board members in the November election could change this situation.
I think there would be enough time before now and November to gather the necessary number of voters on petitions to get the referendum on the ballot.

The Idaho Republican Party is now suing the Bonneville Republican Central Committee for breaking an election law; the CC sent out a flyer that endorsed some candidates over their competition, and that's not allowed.

The State party asked for an injunction to stop the distribution of the fliers, but I got one early last week, so I think the injection is too late; the fliers probably have been all sent out. If not, I don't know if stopping any than haven't been sent will change very much, as the primary election is only 4 days away.

The candidates on the flier were all stacked up in favor of the Freedom Foundation. Two of the CC board members are also on the Freedom Foundation's board, so there's a direct conflict of interest happening within the Bonneville Central Committee.
The chairman of the Central Committee has long been at odds with the State chairman; they once competed for the State office chairmanship, and the local guy lost.

This election is really turning into a big mess that all the voters are going to have to pay for in some way or other in the near future.
I hope the turnout is very large; all this insider hanky-panky is adding a lot of extra tension on a lot of issues that are growing between cities, counties, and regions all over the state.

I think the voters really need to make it very clear how they feel about the split inside the Idaho Republican Party. This nastiness has been growing for a decade or more, and it needs to stop.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:23 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,707,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The "soap opera" continues. Top of the fold on page one of today's paper is an article detailing that ICRMP will not renew the college's general liability, property liability, and employee liability insurance for next year. The destruction of the college by the extreme right-wing members of a major political party is almost complete.
I hope they don’t extend it to the state. The fact that McGeachin has made it this far is frightening. I long for the measured elder statesmen Republicans of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho