Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 08:55 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times

Advertisements

This is just fine for north Idaho transplants who’ve come here to retire and indulge their Redoubt fantasies, but not so much for the real Idaho folks who depend on this institution.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...interim-presi/

Last edited by mistyriver; 10-26-2021 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLynx View Post
Yes, as I've come to understand it, North Idaho is already an educational wasteland for the most part.
I took classes there years ago to fill in a few I needed as prerequisites for a nursing degree. My work way back when for my English degree missed a few science classes.
I found it to be about as rigorous as junior or senior high school level classes back then. I don’t imagine it’s improved much. Still, it’s all the local kids have and it fills in what their high schools missed. And they can transfer on since it’s accredited.

This board led by the scurrilous Banducci and his two lackeys is just over the top nuttery.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:44 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Yes, the board is really messing things up. The students are the ones losing out.

p.s. For out southern brethren, "NIC" is North Idaho College, the local community college in Coeur d'Alene. Beautiful campus at the conjunction of the northwest corner of Lake Coeur d'Alene and the Spokane River.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 10-26-2021 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-26-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Yes, the board is really messing things up. The students are the ones losing out.

p.s. For out southern brethren, "NIC" is North Idaho College, the local community college in Coeur d'Alene. Beautiful campus at the conjunction of the northwest corner of Lake Coeur d'Alene and the Spokane River.
It is an absolutely gorgeous campus in a prime location. Sometimes I wonder if someone is after that property to develop it. First step could be NIC losing its accreditation.

Old 10-26-2021, 03:14 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Yes, as I've come to understand it, North Idaho is already an educational wasteland for the most part.
You're mistaken.

North Idaho is the home of Northern Idaho College, the University of Idaho, and Lewis & Clark State College.
And just over the Washington border, there's Gonzaga University in Spokane and Washington State University in Pullman.

They're all no further apart than a 3-hour drive, and that's a greater concentration of public higher education than in any other region of Idaho. Even when Boise State is combined with the private colleges in the Treasure Valley, it still comes in second in availability.

if anything, Southern Idaho lags behind both when it comes to both private and public schools of higher education.

The fact really is Idaho as a state lags behind our neighbors in the quality of our schools period. In all our schools from the elementary schools to our universities.

We have failed to keep up with teacher's and administrator's salaries, building needed new schools, updating the old schools to meet the demands of modern education, and have failed to build more schools when the need for them arose.

It's no surprise NIC has been touched by those failures. Every other college in the state has been touched by them already. Some of our best have been repeatedly touched.

Northern Idaho College is just like every other public college in Idaho. And all our other schools as well. They are all trying their best to educate our young as best they can with what they have.

There are really a lot of places where the blame can be laid, but none of it is specific to any region.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:17 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Oh, you're right -- U of I in Moscow is still pretty well in North Idaho. But it's a fairly long way from the Sandpoint area. 2 1/2 hour drive each way is a bit much for a good "continuing education" class.....
Yes, it is. Especially during the winter.

The U of I has a large extension system that works in conjunction with other colleges. I don't know if there's something available up there, but there may be, and it might be something that would work for you.

Google their website...

Old 10-27-2021, 05:40 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if it is a wasteland up there, but no where in the state will match the higher educational opportunities in the Boise area. CWI (College of Western Idaho) has an enrollment of twice that as the U of I in Moscow and BSU also enrolls twice as many as U of I.

There is also the ISU Meridian Center which specializes in health sciences. One of the top rated Liberal Arts colleges in the nation, the College of Idaho is in Caldwell and NNU is in Nampa.

Just over the border in Ontario is the Treasure Valley Community College and Eastern Oregon Ontario Center.

There are also several private business colleges in Boise.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:25 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
This is just fine for north Idaho transplants who’ve come here to retire and indulge their Redoubt fantasies, but not so much for the real Idaho folks who depend on this institution.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...interim-presi/
The thread title seems a bit sensational to me. Nowhere does the article even remotely imply that the college's accreditation status may be in jeopardy. The gentleman appointed was only done so on an interim basis, and the college is conducting an active search for a full-time President.

Is there more information that only someone close to the situation would know that the public at-large wouldn't?

Old 10-28-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The thread title seems a bit sensational to me. Nowhere does the article even remotely imply that the college's accreditation status may be in jeopardy. The gentleman appointed was only done so on an interim basis, and the college is conducting an active search for a full-time President.

Is there more information that only someone close to the situation would know that the public at-large wouldn't?
In less time than it took you to post the above, you could have googled “NIC” and “accreditation” and found this:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-risk-as-comm/

Old 10-28-2021, 11:00 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The U of I has a large extension system that works in conjunction with other colleges. I don't know if there's something available up there, but there may be, and it might be something that would work for you.
U of I, along with Lewis & Clark college have an extension in the same building pretty close to NIC. Also on the Spokane River. To the southeast is the NIC campus, then going northwest is the wastewater treatment plant followed by the U of I building. Past that is the 95 overpass.

Not a huge building and I have no idea what classes are offered there. But there it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The thread title seems a bit sensational to me. Nowhere does the article even remotely imply that the college's accreditation status may be in jeopardy...

There is much more to the story than what that one article conveys. Even today in the local paper is an article about the new interim president warning that the board must do whatever it takes to keep their accreditation. It's a real issue and has been in the local news for months. There are issues with the current board and being able to work together.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho