Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 04:18 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,745,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
See that's stuff that I wouldn't miss. I'd prefer the other stuff you're talking about. I'm not big on crowds of people. Rather just do my own thing by myself.
I have several family members and friends in ID who have lived there for several decades. I have been there multiple times and in a lot of the State. I would recommend the Boise area including a lot of the cities to the West. Should be easy to find what you want. It is closer to interesting areas of the whole State and even UT, OR and WA and easy access to much of CA.

Laid back life is easy to have there, but still easy access to many thing's you may enjoy or just want to do occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 06:34 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
Hi, Statz...
I think your timing will be a very important element in your decision.
If you're thinking of moving here 5 years from now, I'm sure Idaho will be a lot different then than it is today.

I'm a native, and have lived here for 70 years. I live in Idaho Falls, in S.E. Idaho. We're about 350 miles east of Boise and over 500 miles south of the panhandle. I.F. is either the 3rd or 4th largest city in the state (that keeps changing around)

I have never seen anything like our immigration of the past 3 years. Idaho Falls has always grown slowly and steadily, and the population boom to Idaho was slower here than in other places, but when it came, it exploded. And it shows no sign of slowing down yet.

Right now, I am beginning to doubt our population increase will be the largest agent of change.

I suspect Mother Nature will be the biggest reason why folks come or not. She's made life here harder than normal recently, but so far, Idaho has been sheltered from the worst of her wrath. And that makes me uncertain if we can remain as sheltered as we are now.

If she's merciful, life here will be pretty much as others have described for a while, but if she's not, then I worry our turn is coming soon. It doesn't keep me up at night worrying, but if she ever hits us as hard as California, Idaho will change drastically.

I honestly don't know what life will be like here in 5 years. I'm totally in the dark 10 years out.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:23 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,778,204 times
Kootenai County has too many people for us and we probably won't stay. In fact we're looking to move back to the tiny population CA county we came from 17 years ago. How's that for a change?

Old 11-20-2021, 09:18 AM

269 posts, read 326,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
we're looking to move back to the tiny population CA county we came from 17 years ago.
Are the Californians going to complain about the influx of Idahoans coming into the state? LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Kootenai County has too many people for us and we probably won't stay.
We started looking at the Coeur d'Alene area when we thought of moving here several years ago. When we heard the lake could get pretty crowded with boats in the summer season, we kept looking north of Kootenai County.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:44 AM

7,340 posts, read 12,559,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post

We started looking at the Coeur d'Alene area when we thought of moving here several years ago. When we heard the lake could get pretty crowded with boats in the summer season, we kept looking north of Kootenai County.

So did we, before we bought property in Clark Fork. Not too crowded yet! We actually also looked at 3 acres up on Fatman Mt in Heron, and the view over the Clark Fork River Valley was out of this world, but we thought getting a well would be too difficult up there, and surprisingly, the train noise along the river gets amplified higher up.

Old 11-20-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We actually also looked at 3 acres up on Fatman Mt in Heron, and the view over the Clark Fork River Valley was out of this world...
We lucked out getting into 3 acres of riverfront property in Heron before the real estate prices went crazy. It was ridiculously cheap, so we decided just to buy it rather than try to find a reasonable place to rent for about a year while our main house over in Idaho undergoes a major remodel. Love the view, though this shot was during the smoky summer -- note the orange Sun!

I stopped along the road up closer to Clark Fork for this shot:

Old 11-20-2021, 01:03 PM

7,340 posts, read 12,559,322 times
Yep, we were there during the smoke-days (OP, that's also a North Idaho reality: summer days where you can't breathe...)
Fantastic pics! You are making me so homesick, with the 2nd photo! You were really lucky and smart, getting that piece of riverfront property. So you're going to live in Idaho? I'd also hold on to that Heron property if I were you, even so. Priceless.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
So you're going to live in Idaho? I'd also hold on to that Heron property if I were you, even so. Priceless.
Yes, we're Idaho residents, temporarily living 12 miles over the border in Heron, Montana. My wife also wants to hold onto the Heron property. I'm thinking we might need the money! Zillow now has it at about double what we paid for it. I know -- that doesn't mean we can get that price, but it's just an indicator. We'll see how it goes.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Are the Californians going to complain about the influx of Idahoans coming into the state? LOL.

Since we know so many of them back home I don't think they'll complain.

We love Boundary but people love their property too much and prices are too high. If we'd bought up there when we moved here we probably wouldn't be leaving.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
We lucked out getting into 3 acres of riverfront property in Heron before the real estate prices went crazy. It was ridiculously cheap, so we decided just to buy it rather than try to find a reasonable place to rent for about a year while our main house over in Idaho undergoes a major remodel. Love the view, though this shot was during the smoky summer -- note the orange Sun!

I stopped along the road up closer to Clark Fork for this shot:
I love this area. Beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: