Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 06:16 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
Weiser is a quaint little town. Easy access to I-84 and near the Idaho/Oregon border. If you are looking at rural places like that, you might even check out Council and New Meadows, Idaho. I met with a builder two weeks ago who builds in Council and we are looking to have him build a home on the Golf Course in New Meadows for my son who works in McCall. McCall is more of a resort town so the Airbnb market and the expanding ski resort (Brundage) has made it unaffordable for my son so he has to drive till he qualify's.

To give you an idea, there are 3new homes being built in Council on that golf course is ranging from 1400-1600 sq. ft. single levels with 2+ garage bays priced from $435K - $470K.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for that info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 06:33 PM

560 posts, read 435,501 times
1,400-1,600sq.ft. for over $430k? [mod cut] I think it’s time for a large rate hike. I hope this real estate bubble pops soon.

Last edited by volosong; 04-16-2022 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: No profanity here, implied or expressed.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
1,400-1,600sq.ft. for over $430k? [mod cut] I think it’s time for a large rate hike. I hope this real estate bubble pops soon.
If Airbnb's could be eliminated, that would also help.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:27 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
Isn't that one of those freedoms people around here fear losing? Surely you don't want to do away with private property?
Of course I wouldn't want to do away with private property. Please don't take things out of context.

Airbnb's suck up the housing inventory for locals. Probably the same problem in Colorado and across the country.

Old 04-17-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Of course I wouldn't want to do away with private property. Please don't take things out of context.

Airbnb's suck up the housing inventory for locals. Probably the same problem in Colorado and across the country.
Just like turning residences into rentals. Neighborhood becomes unstable without pride & ownership homeowners brings vs. renters.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:39 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
There such a nationwide home shortage I doubt the bubble will ever pop for at least a decade. And maybe even longer here, if our immigration rate stays at the present level.

I admit to being myopic though; really, I've only paid close attention to how its growing here in my home town. Growth everywhere else is something I only know about with second-hand info, and some of that is bound to be more rumor that substance.

Here in Idaho Falls, every national trend always comes late and sticks around longer afterward than in most other areas of the state and the nation.
It's not like Idaho Falls has ever been a city that clings to its past, either. I.F. has always been forward-looking because it's so entrepreneurial here.
Boom times may come late here, but when they come, Idaho Falls always jumps on them with both feet to make the most that can be gotten from the boom.

Back in the 2000s, Idaho Falls was already growing faster than it ever grew in the past, and the local home builders were counting on those cheap and easy mortgages to last forever, so as usual, they over-built because the mortgage bubble arrived here late.

I've seen this happen before. It happened in the mid 1950s, the mid-1970s, and the mid-1990s.

That left some very large subdivisions here full of empty completed homes when the mortgage bubble collapsed and imploded in 2008. Some buyers got new houses very cheaply just then when they jumped on the panic.

But then, those subdivisions were left half-empty until the 2010s were in mid-decade. By 2018, immigration had grown large enough the unsold and half-built homes of 2005 were all finished and sold, and new construction, especially multi-unit dwellings, was booming by 2018.

The boom is still on 5 years later, and shows no signs of slowing, but housing still hasn't caught up to demand.

In the past, there were always more homes available than buyers for them. Not now, long after recovery came. To me, this is an early signal a bigger and longer-lasting change is happening now than in the past.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:13 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Back when I was working, a string of cloudy days didn't tend to bother me so much. I'm not sure if that's because I was out and about and working under florescent lights? However this Winter has bothered me. Don't get me wrong, I love Winter and some great snow storms, its the useless cloudy days that get to me. I finally went and bout the daylight light bulbs for every light and that helped in a large way.
Would you have a link for the brand of daylight bulbs you like? Thanks, and sorry if this has been answered already.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:52 PM

72 posts, read 126,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The boom is still on 5 years later, and shows no signs of slowing, but housing still hasn't caught up to demand.
We've been in Boise for ten years and have watched the Treasure Valley developments sprawl like a ravenous cancer over the last 6 years. We even got a bit of the rot across the street when a rent seeker (from....wait for it....California) turned the house into a motel ($300 a night). Quality of life here has been steadily going south. Businesses that have survived the fake pandemic (so far) are doing well, but long time customers have to wait for service like never before. More and more people are having to move out of the area in order to afford housing. Some of the housing scarcity problem may be being relieved by the increase in deaths over the last 2 years, particularly since the life saving 'vaccines' were 'offered' to the public.

Once this colossal, everything bubble of a 'boom', collapses, a lot of folks here are going to get a rude awakening. It's going to be far worse than the 2008 bubble, which was never allowed to flush out all of the dead banks and corporations, or bad bets and investments. The Fed owners and their cronies have sucked about as much wealth out of the U.S. population as they can get. When they collapse this baby it's going to be quite a ride. Rest assured, though, that they've got a solution waiting in the wings to save the day.....UBI and digital currency, along with your own Universal Digital Identity and a Social Credit System (just like China's), and your own personal tracking/targeting device to make it all come together.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tirebiter View Post
We've been in Boise for ten years and have watched the Treasure Valley developments sprawl like a ravenous cancer over the last 6 years. We even got a bit of the rot across the street when a rent seeker (from....wait for it....California) turned the house into a motel ($300 a night). Quality of life here has been steadily going south. Businesses that have survived the fake pandemic (so far) are doing well, but long time customers have to wait for service like never before. More and more people are having to move out of the area in order to afford housing. Some of the housing scarcity problem may be being relieved by the increase in deaths over the last 2 years, particularly since the life saving 'vaccines' were 'offered' to the public.

Once this colossal, everything bubble of a 'boom', collapses, a lot of folks here are going to get a rude awakening. It's going to be far worse than the 2008 bubble, which was never allowed to flush out all of the dead banks and corporations, or bad bets and investments. The Fed owners and their cronies have sucked about as much wealth out of the U.S. population as they can get. When they collapse this baby it's going to be quite a ride. Rest assured, though, that they've got a solution waiting in the wings to save the day.....UBI and digital currency, along with your own Universal Digital Identity and a Social Credit System (just like China's), and your own personal tracking/targeting device to make it all come together.
I am also seeing lots of new homes popping up for sale in Meridan and they are not affordable.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:52 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,894,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tirebiter View Post
I think the quality of life is better now than it's been in years. Almost the entire nation is dealing with long waits for services, it's all over the national news.

If a person moves out of the area you can bet a dozen newcomers will replace that person as Boise and Idaho are among the fastest growing cities/states in the nation.
Our mayor and city council has done a great job at keeping peace in Boise throughout the worst of the pandemic, even when the far right whack jobs would come from outside of Boise to cause contention last year. We made it and have one of the best economies in the nation.

[mod cut]

The Boise area has been growing at a good clip the past 25 years. You sound angry. I hope no one you knew suffered or died from covid.

Last edited by volosong; 04-22-2022 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho