Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 12:00 PM

15,189 posts, read 8,774,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSaltyBones View Post
Anyone have experience living in Priest River or Bonners Ferry?
Why Northern Idaho? Why not something more in Central Idaho along the Montana - Idaho stateline? Nice small towns, crazy low population density, only very slightly touristy. More national forest land then you can shake a stick at. I don't know about a 45 minute drive to skiing, but probably not much more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 04:49 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,343,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Why Northern Idaho? Why not something more in Central Idaho along the Montana - Idaho stateline? Nice small towns, crazy low population density, only very slightly touristy. More national forest land then you can shake a stick at. I don't know about a 45 minute drive to skiing, but probably not much more than that.
The Lost River Valley might also be an option. Beautiful majestic mountain scenery, forests, lakes, but is isolated considering the small population base in Challis and Mackay.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:46 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The Lost River Valley might also be an option. Beautiful majestic mountain scenery, forests, lakes, but is isolated considering the small population base in Challis and Mackay.
Yup. I would include Arco and Carey in the list. There are other small towns that are halfway between the Lost River valley and the Wood River valley that could be included; Bellvue, Shoshone, and some tiny spots like Moore, Gannet and Picabo.

They're all Idaho remote. That's usually more remote than Colorado remote.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:51 PM

6,328 posts, read 7,673,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
However, I don't think there is too much objection to new apartments. If you drive around out in the countryside, you will see huge new apartment complexes being built...
There is a huge objection to building apartments in Rathdrum. The comprehensive plan was just updated last year and the residents have said loud and clear that they don't want apartments or other high-density urban development. There will be a few going in that were already in the pipeline. New stuff will be difficult for developers to push through.

Most of what you are seeing is in Post Falls. They are building a "lot" of high-density units, (apartments and/or condominiums).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Why Northern Idaho? Why not something more in Central Idaho along the Montana - Idaho stateline?...
I suspect lack of medical facilities weight into that decision.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-13-2022, 01:43 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,048,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. I would include Arco and Carey in the list. There are other small towns that are halfway between the Lost River valley and the Wood River valley that could be included; Bellvue, Shoshone, and some tiny spots like Moore, Gannet and Picabo.

They're all Idaho remote. That's usually more remote than Colorado remote.
You could add Salmon, ID above Challis, Gooding, ID further west down the road from Shoshone, and maybe Fairfield, ID at the base of the Sawtooth Mts. along Hwy 20. I think Shoshone and Bellvue are a bit too "Sun Valley" area to be really remote, since they are directly in line from Twin Falls and Sun Valley/Hailey. There is a lot of traffic racing up that road.

You'd get a lot more sunny days in all these southeast/eastern towns that anywhere in North Idaho, so the weather might be closer to what you are used to in Colorado.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:41 AM

To me, place is less important than community to make a move a success.

Any new place only stays new for a short time. Within a year or so, a newcomer learns about all that needs to be known about the new surroundings. Everyone enjoys the nice things that are present in nature, and everyone learns to tolerate with the unpleasant things nature has. Since it's all omnipresent, good and bad, it's either cherished or tolerated, since there's no escape from it.

If a person likes being among the people who live there, the surroundings can be anywhere from desolate to spectacular and the newcomer will be content.

But if the community doesn't suit the newcomer, they're more likely to be unhappy even if the location is a paradise. Very few of us like a life that's extremely solitary for very long. Even hermits become very lonely.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:32 AM

553 posts, read 420,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
But if the community doesn't suit the newcomer, they're more likely to be unhappy even if the location is a paradise. Very few of us like a life that's extremely solitary for very long. Even hermits become very lonely.
^ This 100%.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:38 PM

5,557 posts, read 4,899,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
You could add Salmon, ID above Challis, Gooding, ID further west down the road from Shoshone, and maybe Fairfield, ID at the base of the Sawtooth Mts. along Hwy 20. I think Shoshone and Bellvue are a bit too "Sun Valley" area to be really remote, since they are directly in line from Twin Falls and Sun Valley/Hailey. There is a lot of traffic racing up that road.

You'd get a lot more sunny days in all these southeast/eastern towns that anywhere in North Idaho, so the weather might be closer to what you are used to in Colorado.
How about Weiser?

Old 04-14-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
How about Weiser?
Weiser isn't a part of southeast Idaho. It lies on the western edge of the state, a part of the Treasure Valley, the home of Boise, Nampa, Caldwell, Meridian, and all the other cities in that valley.

Life in the TV is Idaho-different; The Treasure Valley is more congested than here in SEI or SWI. This, to me, is the greatest difference, but the TV's climate is also different. Not radically different, but different enough for Idahoans to notice.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:57 PM

813 posts, read 1,049,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
How about Weiser?
Weiser is a quaint little town. Easy access to I-84 and near the Idaho/Oregon border. If you are looking at rural places like that, you might even check out Council and New Meadows, Idaho. I met with a builder two weeks ago who builds in Council and we are looking to have him build a home on the Golf Course in New Meadows for my son who works in McCall. McCall is more of a resort town so the Airbnb market and the expanding ski resort (Brundage) has made it unaffordable for my son so he has to drive till he qualify's.

To give you an idea, there are 3new homes being built in Council on that golf course is ranging from 1400-1600 sq. ft. single levels with 2+ garage bays priced from $435K - $470K.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho