Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:45 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,195,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanquiUXO View Post
What's scary and sad about this is that if it can happen in Colorado, it can and will happen here in Idaho.
It can happen anywhere not just Idaho, no sense in scaring people. For the most part Idaho is relatively a safe place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
I haven't spent a lot of time in Idaho, but most rural towns are not particularly "walkable". Ususally you have to make a trip to "town", ie the nearest big city, to get clothes, entertainment, good restaurants, etc. If walkable is really important to you, you might look into some of the Front Range cities, most of which have those amenities to a certain extent.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 PM

29 posts, read 48,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
It can happen anywhere not just Idaho, no sense in scaring people. For the most part Idaho is relatively a safe place to live.
That wasn't my point, though.

My point was that for the most part that element does not exist here - we are perhaps one of the last remaining places that doesn't have an overwhelming criminal presence.

You can see that it's comes with population and growth, and the mountain states are some of the last remaining "secrets." Colorado and Utah have had their boom, and they're dealing with a newfound criminal element, and not just in the cities. Oregon and Washington have been dealing with it for quite some time.

Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana have enjoyed some boom years, and predictions suggest the boom will continue. And with that can only come increased crime.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 86,409 times
Hehe...I'm a 6th generation Idahoan, but my wife used to live in Colorado (Arvada, actually.) Spokane...well, a lot of people call it Spokompton, because it is a little ghetto. If you're looking for 'big city life' then North Idaho AND Spokane are probably not the places to be. However, when my wife was living in Colorado (she grew up there) everything was always within walking distance. However, she does say that North Idaho is far more beautiful than Colorado, plus, there's no drought water restrictions here!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 9,949 times
I lived in Colorado for 10 years. I thought it was the most beautiful place and didn't think I would ever leave. But I left in 1996 for Alaska and I have to admit Alaska was even prettier. When I left Colorado back in 96 the traffic was awful and the crime was really on the rise; I can't even imagine how it is now. I am now looking at moving to Idaho. It reminds me of the old Colorado. ....Debby

Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 AM

18 posts, read 53,604 times
I've heard multiple people on this site say that they prefer the Inland Northwest (consisting of Southeast Washington/Northern Idaho) to Colorado. Check out the Lewis and Clark Valley, its a nice spot.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:00 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,800,951 times
E WA/N ID beats Colorado's Front Range hands down.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,148,464 times
North Idaho is awesome! Spokane Valley isn't beautiful and I don't consider the rest of Eastern Washington particularly wonderful - too brown and scrubby. The OP asked for someplace he could walk to everything he needs? Coeur d'Alene is definitely not a live and walk town. Does anyone know a North idaho spot that is? I can't think of one. (I realize that I have not been everywhere)

Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM

84 posts, read 233,070 times
Default "walkabout" towns

The "walkaboutability" rather depends on what you consider to be necessary for 21st century folks... If you're ok with "bare" necessities (everything you'd strictly need, but not a lot of choices) then there's a ton of towns that fit the bill... The ones that come to mind for me based on what you're saying are Mountain Home (it's in the flatlands, Southern ID, most people aren't too keen on it... LOTS of sage, brown/scrubby) and Emmet (North of Boise a short drive, near the mountains, but not near enough to get snowed in too badly). I mention these two because both are within an easy hour of Boise, which is where the "21st century people" go to do their "21st century" shopping (for the most part). If you don't mind the "going to town" part taking 2 hours (or more... some places a LOT more...) then there's a whole slew of em

Old 05-17-2010, 04:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,803,234 times
You can live in town in Sandpoint and walk to 90% of what you need in an average week. I know several guys who live in town who ride mountain bikes all summer long to/from work and such. We have other friends in town who have a single car just for trips to CDA or Ponderay for things they need, but they like to walk to town whenever the weather permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho