U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 04:38 PM

132 posts, read 634,743 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks now, and have read about every thread on Pocatello. I have an opportunity to transfer with my employer(Costco) to the city and have a few questions for those of you who may be able to help.I currently live in Virginia Beach,VA and have been looking to transfer to another part of the country mainly due to the outrageous cost of living here in VA. I have been looking for an area with a much cooler/less humid climate,close to winter activities, and a much less progressive environment for my wife and 2 children.

Aside from the concerns of most people who are looking to move to the area, I am trying to figure out what one would spend in COL expenses such as State Income Taxes(?),utilities,property taxes,insurance,etc...

I am looking to purchase a home, but may rent for a while. What would the average costs be on the following:

State Income Tax- 65k/year with 2 dependents
Property Tax-Lets say $150,000 SFH on about 1/3 acre(cant buy you the smallest townhouse here)
Average utilities bills for a home-electric,water,gas/oil,various public fees
Homeoeners insurance
And any other COL examples that one may think of...

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Last edited by the4pits; 06-21-2008 at 05:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 01:19 AM

310 posts, read 1,231,556 times
I can't give you any answers but aside from the road construction going on the Pocatello area is gorgeous! If I weren't in love with Boise and moving there next month I'd be moving to Pocatello

Old 06-22-2008, 12:53 PM

210 posts, read 908,822 times
Hard to give exact answers to those questions, because they vary so much with your situation, but here's an attempt.

State tax, at your income level, Idaho state income tax is currently 7.8 percent. there are credits for groceries and donating to educational institutions and youth rehabilitation facilities.

Property tax about $1400/year with homeowners exemption on $150,000

Electric rates are one of the cheapest in the country, about .61 cents per Kw/h.
Idaho Power - Customer Service - Rates - National Price Rankings

Gas is by Intermountain Gas, and rates are available here.
Intermountain Gas Company - Current Natural Gas Prices

City water is metered in Pocatello, so depends on consumption. I average about $60/month for Water/sewer/garbage for a family of 5.

Home owners insurance I'm sure varies quite a bit, but it seems mine is about $400 year on a similar cost house.

We are excited for Costco to open here, I think. I like the local businesses, but I'm glad we'll have some alternative to Wal-Mart. If you know when job openings are going to be posted, let me know, as my brother is an assitant manager at Wal-Mart and would like to apply.

Welcome to Pocatello. It is awesome here right now while the hills are still green and the cool spring has extended the wildflower season. The recent hot spell will probably put and end to them though, expect up high.

I'm drifting off topic, but if anyone want to go on an awesome mountain bike ride to a beautiful field of arrowleaf balsam root wildflowers, let me know in PM or start a new thread so I don't hijack this one and I'll share my secret, time is coming up soon for full bloom.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinprism View Post
Hard to give exact answers to those questions, because they vary so much with your situation, but here's an attempt.

State tax, at your income level, Idaho state income tax is currently 7.8 percent. there are credits for groceries and donating to educational institutions and youth rehabilitation facilities.

Property tax about $1400/year with homeowners exemption on $150,000

Electric rates are one of the cheapest in the country, about .61 cents per Kw/h.
Idaho Power - Customer Service - Rates - National Price Rankings

Gas is by Intermountain Gas, and rates are available here.
Intermountain Gas Company - Current Natural Gas Prices

City water is metered in Pocatello, so depends on consumption. I average about $60/month for Water/sewer/garbage for a family of 5.

Home owners insurance I'm sure varies quite a bit, but it seems mine is about $400 year on a similar cost house.

We are excited for Costco to open here, I think. I like the local businesses, but I'm glad we'll have some alternative to Wal-Mart. If you know when job openings are going to be posted, let me know, as my brother is an assitant manager at Wal-Mart and would like to apply.

Welcome to Pocatello. It is awesome here right now while the hills are still green and the cool spring has extended the wildflower season. The recent hot spell will probably put and end to them though, expect up high.

I'm drifting off topic, but if anyone want to go on an awesome mountain bike ride to a beautiful field of arrowleaf balsam root wildflowers, let me know in PM or start a new thread so I don't hijack this one and I'll share my secret, time is coming up soon for full bloom.
Thanks for the response. If you have never been to Costco, I think you will be happy to the alternative to most bigbox retailers. As far as highering, they are currently accepting transfer requests within the company. I assume very soon, they will begin looking outside the company to fill the remaining positions. Usually this is done via online applications.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where to look for a home, what to avoid, etc. I have read so much about the LDS influence on the area, being raised Southern Baptists, what should we expect as far as "culture shock"? Are there "ghetto" areas to avoid? How accepting are the locals to "outsiders"?-Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 PM

Chubbuck and Highland areas have more LDS influence, but they are some of the nicer areas for families. The LDS influence in Pocatello is slightly less than surrounding areas. As far as ghetto area, yeah, there are some, but not really whole areas, more like little pockets. The west side (sometimes called OLD Town) neighboorhood can be a little more ghetto with smallers home on smaller lots, but there are some beautiful historic homes there too, and there are other advantages like access to trails and public lands. Depends on what type of neighborhood culture you are looking for (somewhere where the kids can play in the street,etc.) If you describe your ideal neighborhood I could make a recommendation. There are nice places to live in all parts of town.

I think you'll find everyone very open to outsiders and I wouldn't worry about culture shock. There's a bit of the small town mentaility and small town drivers but if you've already read about the LDS influence you kind of know what to expect. To me, it's not really and issue, but perhaps I've been lucky.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinprism View Post
Chubbuck and Highland areas have more LDS influence, but they are some of the nicer areas for families. The LDS influence in Pocatello is slightly less than surrounding areas. As far as ghetto area, yeah, there are some, but not really whole areas, more like little pockets. The west side (sometimes called OLD Town) neighboorhood can be a little more ghetto with smallers home on smaller lots, but there are some beautiful historic homes there too, and there are other advantages like access to trails and public lands. Depends on what type of neighborhood culture you are looking for (somewhere where the kids can play in the street,etc.) If you describe your ideal neighborhood I could make a recommendation. There are nice places to live in all parts of town.

I think you'll find everyone very open to outsiders and I wouldn't worry about culture shock. There's a bit of the small town mentaility and small town drivers but if you've already read about the LDS influence you kind of know what to expect. To me, it's not really and issue, but perhaps I've been lucky.
Hey,thanks again for the reply. I am looking for your average family oriented neighborhood. At least 3br/2ba home with a decent yard 1/3-1/2 acre. As far as neighbors, Im a good ole' boy at heart, and dont really like to live around snobs. Dont want to be around "trash" either. I have 2 chidren,6 and 10, so schoolsare one of my main concerns. I was hoping to stay within 125,000-150,000 range. Our current home in VB is 1600 ranch for 300,000, and property taxes are 3000/yr. Are there pp taxes on vehicles?-Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 AM

I asked a realtor friend of mine and this is what she said.

"Here are 13 homes that represent a good sample of what is currently on the market. By restricting to lot size of .25 the selection is minimized and increasing the size to .3 it reduces the availability to about 9 homes.

The MLS data sheet will show current tax expense and some of them will have the average utility costs. If he is interested in a particular home I can request the utility info from the listing agent.

As far as a neighborhood goes... (that's a hard one). I think any of the areas I've sent are nice. There are some areas on the west side that are a little run down and not as kid friendly as I would like, unfortunately you can get a bad neighbor anywhere and it's so subjective. If he wants it nice and quiet and doesn't mind a short commute then Inkom may be a good choice.

Of all the costs that will likely surprise him it would be our property taxes. They tend to run higher than people are used to but not too far off of what he is currently paying. Our cost per kilowatt is less than most but it's hard to estimate without knowing their usage. Depending on the type of homeowners he purchases I think he could figure between $500 to $700 per year for a $150k home.

There are currently 544 homes on the MLS in the Pocatello area. 72 in the $125 - $150,000 range. I think he could find a nice clean single family home in a great area within his price range!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Have a great night,
Chris"

Here's a link to the listings,
View Listings (http://pocatello.fnismls.com/publink/default.asp?GUID=42c1e10c-40db-4650-bb5e-bc978de04d85&Report=Yes - broken link)
if they don't work, PM me your email address and I'll forward them on. I'd agree with her that most of these areas are good and family friendly, having a bigger lot size took out many of the areas you wouldn't want to live.
If one of these catch your eye, let me know and I'll tell you more about that street or neighborhood, or even drive by and take a look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho