Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:05 AM

26 posts, read 176,483 times

Advertisements

Hi I am hoping that some of the locals in the area can help me in trying to find the right area to live. I have read a few threads about it and some of the surrounding areas. I will be moving with my family there next summer and would like some help in figuring out which area would be the best to live. My main concerns are finding a good neighborhood and schools for my children, one is in elementary and one is in high school. I would like to hear first where the best areas are and then go from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 05:41 AM

84 posts, read 300,610 times
Default Mountain or City feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowangel View Post
Hi I am hoping that some of the locals in the area can help me in trying to find the right area to live. I have read a few threads about it and some of the surrounding areas. I will be moving with my family there next summer and would like some help in figuring out which area would be the best to live. My main concerns are finding a good neighborhood and schools for my children, one is in elementary and one is in high school. I would like to hear first where the best areas are and then go from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have some close friends that have lived there for quite some time. I visit 3-4 times a year to golf, hunt, fly fish and partake of the shootgun sports.

Coeur D Alene has grown a lot and is still a neat place to live and raise kids. It has a bit more of a mountain town feel and is easy to get away from in a hurry on the weekend outings. Don't kid yourself, there is traffic with Hwy 95 running through and Government Blvd gets backed up as well.

The Spokane Valley is a bit different. No mountain town feel, but large malls and lots of shopping.

Can't comment on the schools.............but my vote goes to Couer d Alene!!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:25 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Looneytoon.... thanks for great info on this beautiful area..Question i have since i work for the apartment industry are there a lot of complexes (job sites ) as the more there are the better chance i have to get hired on if i ever were to move up there. Also can i jetski on the lake there or is it a ''no wake'' lake...thanks...

Old 01-17-2007, 02:01 PM

84 posts, read 300,610 times
Default harry o

As the town conitues to grow, there are more and more complexes going up.

The lake is wide open for motorized sports, but keep a sharp eye out of floating debris. Don't want to kill yourself on that waterized motorcycle

Old 01-18-2007, 12:19 AM

40 posts, read 157,687 times
Honestly I live in Cda right now and I would MUCH rather live in Liberty Lake Washington! It is very pretty there, it snows a little bit less. It is maybe 2 minutes from Post Falls Idaho(witch is 5 minutes from Coeur d Alene). Unemplyment is higher, Pay is higher. More to do in the Spokane Valley than in Cda. Cost of living is WAYYYYYY to high in Cda for what it has to offer. I am moving away from here. I have been here for 17 years and I am calling it quits. But if I was to stay I would move to Liberty Lake for sure!
CdA is becomming way too over populated and soon they will have to make roads larger because I-95 can not support the small size of CdA/Hayden/Dalton Gardens area. I live in Dalton Gardens myself and it is pretty right here. But there are 3400 homes on the market in out county so you have PLEANTY to choose from!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:22 AM

And as far as the Lakes you have like 6 with in 50 miles that are very boat friendly, but no matter what if you are on CdA lake watch for debris! As far as the Complexes... Contruction is about 85% stopped for dwellings( I am in the home contruction field). So that is not a good market here in Idaho area Sorry!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowangel View Post
... My main concerns are finding a good neighborhood and schools for my children, one is in elementary and one is in high school. ...
the Liberty Lake suggestion was good, I'd be real serious about getting the HS kid into the WA ST 'running start' program (Jr college for Jr and Sr in HS - FREE ) You have to take an entrance examine that they only offer twice / yr, so planning is important. It was great for my kids (we homeschooled till grade 10 (living internationally and here and there in PNW & Canada)) They were apprehensive, but very grateful when graduating University with only 2 yr debt, and a 2 yr headstart on wage earning. Most importantly it was a pretty good education (in a variety of ways) which can be challenging in HS. Usually a piece of cake for girls, but a bit more challenging for guys (of which I had 2) They can stay involved in HS sports / drama... if they choose, just requires some planning. They can take up to 18 cr hrs / qtr at Jr college, night or day or both .

Old 01-18-2007, 01:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Be careful about Spokane (city) though...when we were investigating the area (versus CdA and Sandpoint) I was shocked to find that Spokane has a higher auto theft rate than Los Angeles (almost double the national average), rape stats about 20% higher than nat avg, 30% more burglaries, and 50% higher theft. It was lower in robbery (25% under avg) and only about 10% higher in assaults. Meth has hit Spokane hard and fast....

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Compared to CdA....

Spokane has over double the murders but only about half the rapes, TRIPLE the robberies, 10% fewer assaults, 40% more burglaries, slightly less larceny theft, but double the auto theft.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:05 AM..

Old 01-18-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Be careful about Spokane (city) though...when we were investigating the area (versus CdA and Sandpoint) I was shocked to find that Spokane has a higher auto theft rate than Los Angeles (almost double the national average), rape stats about 20% higher than nat avg, 30% more burglaries, and 50% higher theft. It was lower in robbery (25% under avg) and only about 10% higher in assaults. Meth has hit Spokane hard and fast....

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Compared to CdA....

Spokane has over double the murders but only about half the rapes, TRIPLE the robberies, 10% fewer assaults, 40% more burglaries, slightly less larceny theft, but double the auto theft.

TRUE... BUT that is if you live in the bad parts of spokane. Spokane has some rough area's for sure. But if you go North of Spokane towards Hillyard it is VERY nice. But my vote is for Liberty lake

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:05 AM..

Old 01-19-2007, 02:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
I absolutely agree there...those stats are "city limits" numbers. Nine Mile Falls is a great place (whole Charles Road area). Other local friends of ours live in Colburn and Deer Park. So you're right in that regard. I didn't mean to imply there were no good parts in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho