Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:21 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,005,919 times

Advertisements

I think the OP was a full on troll and the stupid comment on Mark Fuhrman and Hayden Lake / Cour D' Alene was out of line.
There is no law against being gay and there is no law against being racist or anti gay.
People do what they want. I've met Mark Furman as well as Randy Weaver and they are both fine folks who have been trashed by media and people with big fat mouths and tiny minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 12:43 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,429,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I think the OP was a full on troll and the stupid comment on Mark Fuhrman and Hayden Lake / Cour D' Alene was out of line.
There is no law against being gay and there is no law against being racist or anti gay.
People do what they want. I've met Mark Furman as well as Randy Weaver and they are both fine folks who have been trashed by media and people with big fat mouths and tiny minds.
My thoughts exactly Rickers, I like the way you think too.. What they did to Weaver and his family was horrible. I also smelled troll the first time I read this post. Seeing as the OP has only posted one time confirms my suspicions too. I guess he got bored when he didnt get what he wanted.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,503,515 times
I disagree that the OP was trolling. If you want to see trolling, what it really looks like, go spend some time in the 2008 Presidential Election forum. Asking a reasonable question that can result in some unreasonable feedback and then bowing out of the conversation is hardly trolling.

Internet Trolls

And Sage, I would be SO happy if you were moderating the above referenced forum. You are a shining model of how every moderator should strive to execute their duties. I got spoiled being introduced to CDF in your forum.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,805,699 times
Boy...the P&OC forum is one nasty place...a good place to stay away from on CDF...but thanks for the nice comments.

But I think this thread has moved well beyond the OP's inquiry. So from this point on...any posts not directly relevant to the OP's post will be deleted...thanks for understanding guys...of course you're free to discuss in other threads...

Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,503,515 times
I have a gay friend at one of my jobs who thought it might be fun to come visit when I live in Idaho, if he had someone to travel with. I told him about some of the info I have read in this thread that I otherwise would not have had any idea about, and it was encouraging to him. So thanks to all who addressed the OP!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,970,524 times
Whether or not the main poster is still reading this, as apparently something went off course, the original inquiry should get ample follow-up for anyone else who is browsing and sees that the post title matches their inquiry.

First off, I know that Boise and Moscow, for two, have a substantial gay/lesbian population. Not sure about other Idaho communities, but it wouldn't surprise me.

You'll definitely hear some horror stories about bizarre ballot initiatives brought on by The Idaho Family Forum about a decade or so ago (reference the infamous Proposition One), but those are not at all reflective of the prevailing Idaho spirit. Those initiatives may have found sufficient signatures somewhere, but they lost by a landslide once it came down to the ballot, and that was a statewide issue, so it speaks for a lot more than just Boise and Moscow.

One of my friends in Boise is a lesbian, and in all the years I've known her, she's never had to deal with hate or discrimination, except maybe from one or two friends who converted to a fundamentalist religious belief and chose to cut her out of their circle. She says that deeply hurt her to lose close friends on such a solemnly petty note, but she'd really rather not be their friend if that's how fast they can cut her off. Other than that, she's had no notable problems to speak of.

However, she is also fairly discrete. She'll call her girlfriend just that in a conversation with strangers, but she doesn't make her sexuality a point for introduction. She'll give a random hug and be "playful" in public settings, but never anything more than you'd expect from any infatuated yet appropriate couple. As with anywhere, a "flamboyant" approach to strangers and public venues may on occasion spark a demeaning response, but I really mean "as with anywhere". If you are likely to call it out in Idaho, you've already seen it where you're at.

Of course, my buddy considers her sexuality a major part of her identity, quite naturally, but she says she'd much rather be known for other things. Personally, I am more inclined to call her my "drinking buddy" or "wingwoman" (in a joking setting) or "rafting/boarding pal" when the seasonal recreation hits, and that's much better than something obtuse like "lesbian friend". That would be like if I were known as her "bachelor friend". Yech! Though it's a decisive variable in a big portion of identity, there's a lot more to all of us than our relationship status and sexual inclinations.

Altogether, the other posters are right when they advise that sexuality is not the ideal adjective choice when first meeting people, but once people see that you and your significant other are a couple (which you aren't shy about, and more power to you), they'll likely be cool about it. Some of the more "sheltered" folks may even celebrate it a bit excessively, as you'll be a novelty to them, but I'm sure you've seen that type before. They're sweet, huh? (albeit in need of a little chat) ;^) Even those who have ideological/religious beliefs against your sexuality will usually not be discriminatory. Maybe an obnoxious remark from a wiley teenager here and there, but where and for whom does that not happen?

As I've tossed back and forth with many posters on here, if you love Idaho, Idahoans will love you. If you want to change Idaho, then Idahoans will help you pack.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 PM

9 posts, read 39,049 times
Default Why not Frisco

I'm headed to Idaho, so glad to hear from the locals, I'll go ahead and scratch Sandpoint off my list of potential towns to look at, Pocatello wasn't on it, I'll keep it that way.....

Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnobs2idaho View Post
I'm headed to Idaho, so glad to hear from the locals, I'll go ahead and scratch Sandpoint off my list of potential towns to look at, Pocatello wasn't on it, I'll keep it that way.....
Yeah, Pocatello really isn't worth residence unless you want govt. contract work or enjoy camping/backpacking more often than you live at home.

As for Sandpoint, I wouldn't necessarily want to live in that town, but Lake Pend Oreille (pronounced Pond - uh - RAY) is huge and some of the best lake boating/fishing you'll find in N. Idaho besides Lake Coeur d'Alene. Some would argue it's even better that that one due to the absence of tourists and numerous secluded off-shoots. Definitely worth a visit if you enjoy large, beautiful lakes.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:33 PM

210 posts, read 944,210 times
Huh, I live in Pocatello and love it. To each their own I guess. Best of luck finding the place that is right for you.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinprism View Post
Huh, I live in Pocatello and love it. To each their own I guess. Best of luck finding the place that is right for you.
Agreed and I apologize. I was being rather harsh in the presumption that nobody would want to live in Pocatello. I love the entire close proximity region of mountains and grasslands, but the town itself never stood out to me with much appeal. I couldn't tell you what I found "wrong" with it, but I found something "right" for me in many Idaho locales that never touched me in Pocatello.

I can definitely see where you're coming from, in any case, as I've had people around the US actually apologize to me for the fact that I grew up in Boise (even some who've only heard about Idaho in general and never even been to Boise, let alone Idaho). Some of them even stretch their presumptions into prejudice about my identity. I love Boise and Idaho to the extent that I kind of resent all the demeaning and completely untrue reputations I've heard. A lot of people talk way to much while understanding way to little...

...but I suppose that's not exactly breakthrough news there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho