U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Idaho: small apartment, less congestion, privacy, illegal immigration problems, emergency rooms

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 PM

43 posts, read 136,676 times

Advertisements

well i have been in cali for my whole 43 years... dont throw shoes at me i didnt choose to be born in this place! lol

but ive always yearned to go north, oregon or idaho...i went to idaho in june, cda, and loved it to death. went over to montana and camped ... loved both really.

i am wanting to relocate and have decided to move there in september, get a small apartment, try to get a job, and see how it goes for six months before i really move (sell the house, etc.)

i am sick of the boring weather here... sick of all of it. since i was 11 i swore id be up north someday... but someday turned into 35 years, sadly.

i hear alot of negativity about cali's moving to oregon, washington, idaho. ya gotta remember that there is 19million folks here, all shoved together. alot of them, they want out. so alot of areas will "suffer" the california blight.

i love mountains, trees, (tree hugger) less congestion, privacy! i dont reckon i will overdevelope or raise housing. (i wish housing would raise here, so i can sell my house for more than its worth, but hey.. )

i like english as my language, cuz i speak it. there are alot of problems in so cal because of the illegal immigration problems. you folks think you got it bad with the californians invading, at least we dont try to change the language, close down emergency rooms because they are used for free medical care, overload the school systems and insist that there be spanish speaking teachers there... use up all public assistance, and turn suburbs into "little tijuana" ... and coming here by the 100 thousands a day. it will surely cause a crash here, as it has already started

im just saying.. though ill receive flack, i just get a little curious as to people complaining of calis moving into their state to find a nice rural area with a nice town like we are come kind of scourage. kinda sad.

that doest discourage me too much because i dont plan to develope a natural area, i just want to get away. and if i drive the houseing up? hmm so your house is worth more? shame on me. better than having your neighborhood and your house price driven down, because the areas are turning into mexico. and if mexico is so great, why are they leaving by the millions??

id be happy to welcome all the states in the union to cali. we do. no one here EVER says "oh ur from texas, go away, or your from idaho, go away" just unheard of. all we want is for people to be legal, pay taxes, and not turn the street into tiajuana. oh ya, and try to speak the language so that we dont have to put EVERYING in spanish. i cant get half the jobs because they require spanish speaking. ha!

my point being, chill on the immigration from california, you got it good compared to what we are dealing with, and if some of us want to run to the high country, well, judge us as we come, not becaues we are from dreaded ca.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,169,010 times
Since the other post was most about the weather, and your post is mostly filled with your personal reasons to move to ID, it's better off in its own thread.

To lend an anecdote to this thread...

My daughter had to go to the ER (we thought she had appendicitis) and we took her to Kootenai Medical Center ("KMC" at I-90 and Highway 95).

Now mind you, it was 10PM on a Friday night, warm summer night. If this was an ER in Los Angeles, or even Orange County, you know it would be a 5-10 hour wait, standing room only.

Well, we walk in to KMC, and there are 3 total families (including us) in the ER. So I start filling out the paperwork, and I hadn't gotten halfway through page one, and they call us in. They did some tests and an MRI, and sent her home with a clean bill of health and some medicine for severe cramping. From the time we pulled into the ER lot, to the time we were back in the car, it was an hour and 25 minutes, INCLUDING waiting for the pharmacy medication and discharge papers, etc.

I just had to smile...it was like I had died and gone to heaven. And what REALLY cracked me up was the nurse was saying "last weekend, we were REALLY busy, not like this". I asked what that meant, and she said, "there had to be TEN people waiting to be seen at any given time!". I just had to smile...and be grateful that citizens and legal immigrants of all races here must MOSTLY have the general idea of what "Emergency Room" still means....

As a cop, we used to book people into the 13th floor jail ward at County-USC (LCMC), which most people recognize from its facade being used for "General Hospital". The ER must have had 25-30 beds, 100+ people waiting 6-24 hours to get treated, and shootings and stabbings IN THE ER waiting room area and in the ambulance bay. We drove up with a prisoner once, only to find a crime scene in the bay...bangers had pulled up and dumped their dead homie at the ambulance door and then fled. And I spent plenty of time at White Memorial (Boyle Heights, in East LA) getting patched up after some major incidents. It was EXACTLY like taking a trip to TJ...where only the doctors and I were speaking English...even the nurses, in order to communicate with the patient load, were only speaking Spanish.

Look...I don't mind Mexico or Mexicans...and vacations to Mexico are nice enough too. But when I go "home", I don't want it to be "just like Mexico". And with all due apologies to people who may get offended, if someone has not lived in SoCal to see the dramatic "invasion" of a culture, you're just not qualified to get preachy about it. Especially when HISPANIC friends of mine are also wanting to leave California for the same reasons as white and black and asian folks...but people still call us racist...how can my hispanic friend be racist?...wouldn't that actually be a "culturist"?...at least I'm honest enough to admit that I used to have to struggle with prejudism daily and now I'm finding myself enriched by people of all races and cultures who come visit the resort areas up here.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 PM

130 posts, read 401,744 times
As my family always says:
Our Native American ancestors found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

That always gets a big laugh when we gather on the Rez.

See, it's nothing new.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:49 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,221,544 times
Lauragizzy you and I could share a soap box and it would be in stereo!;-) I've wanted to leave So Cal and go north for over 10 years, and its finally getting close.
For all the bluster its really not that bad for Californians in N Id. hell most of them are from california, even if they wont admit it up front.
As you said the health care system here is in shambles with illegals using the emergency rooms like a free of charge primary doctors office with no fear of being turned away!!!!
WE pay through the nose for insurance to sit in huge lines when we actually have an EMERGENCY! Thats just one issue though, and Im sure we could preach to the choir ad nauseum.
You are on the right track, it may have been a long time coming but just think of how much you will appreciate the freedom, and fairness when you are there! Do it and dont look back! This place reminds me of a bible story, cept I call it Sodom and Gomexico..HA!! Hope to see you there!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,169,010 times
I think that because we discuss this unpopular issue here on a forum, some people have formed a misconception that once a person escapes to somewhere in "real America", they're sitting around forming hate groups or at least thinking prejudicial thoughts...quite the contrary, we just live our own lives, enjoy the people around us (regardless of race), enjoy cultural diversity when the occasion arises, and don't have to struggle with our own prejudices because it's just not around us at all....except for when we log online and find it's still such a huge "elephant in the room" in so many conversations I see here...

Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I think that because we discuss this unpopular issue here on a forum, some people have formed a misconception that once a person escapes to somewhere in "real America", they're sitting around forming hate groups or at least thinking prejudicial thoughts...quite the contrary, we just live our own lives, enjoy the people around us (regardless of race), enjoy cultural diversity when the occasion arises, and don't have to struggle with our own prejudices because it's just not around us at all....except for when we log online and find it's still such a huge "elephant in the room" in so many conversations I see here...
It's interesting that you think that way, because frankly, I've been absolutely appalled at the prejudicial attitude I've found in this part of Idaho, whether it be natives or transplants. At times I've been literally sickened by some of the things people say...and believe.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,146,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
It's interesting that you think that way, because frankly, I've been absolutely appalled at the prejudicial attitude I've found in this part of Idaho, whether it be natives or transplants. At times I've been literally sickened by some of the things people say...and believe.
But how does that compare to how they actually treat each other? There can be a big difference between the things people say, the things people think they think, and how they end up actually conducting themselves when confronted with another human being. I'm just sayin...

Old 07-17-2008, 09:45 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 6,619,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post

Try living in Arizona...the prejudice and anger here against Mexicans is as bad or worse than California. BUT...just as Sage said, unless one has lived in it and seen the cultural problems with immigrants (mostly illegal) and other "minoriies" they cannot possibly understand the root of the problem. I have a nephew who is currently a part of the LAPD, twenty+ years now, and he has told me many times that if one is not racially prejudiced when they become an LAPD cop, they will be after a couple of years. It's the constant involvement with minorities and their gangs, crimes and cultures... disproportionately Black & Hispanic...that leads to those feelings.

In truth, Greensleeves, everyone has prejudices (not necessarilly racial). Anyone who says they do not is really in denial. Many people just live their lives and try their best to keep those prejudices to themselves. We recognize those feelings and do our best to ignore them...but in CA, AZ and even ID there are no doubt people who just can't bite their tongues. I think, and hope, the difference is that when I retire to NID I won't have to alter my culture and way of life to suit an immigrant culture. I honestly have NO problem with legal immigration...my ancestors were all Irish immigrants...but I don't like seeing the Mexican flag flying everywhere I go.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:36 AM

All I can say is, my Grandmother died on a reservation. If anyone has an excuse to hate, you'd think it would be me.

But I don't. I only understand one race and that is the human one.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,221,544 times
I agree with Esseclue EVERYONE has prejudice in some form or another. I like to ask people this when they get indignant about what THEY consider racism and prejudice.
OK you live equal distances from 2 schools that your kids could attend. One is an inner city school predominately black and hispanic, the other is predominately white an Asian. Which school are you going to send your child too? If they say the White school they're RACIST(by thier standards), and if they chose the black/hispanic school they're a liar by mine

I always say Im NOT prejudice, I hate everyone equally, until they show me reason to like them, whether they be white, black, green, or yellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: