Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:53 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,993 times

Advertisements

WOW that was quite a detailed assessment there Clearwater66. Made me feel as if I nearly lived in the places you covered. I used to travel Idaho quite a bit when I had a job as a salesman on the road for well over a decade. It all ended in 2007 however. I miss those trips through the State in all the places you've mentioned. I can see how living a some could be potentially difficult for some. Lewiston was one of the places I went most as well as Spokane and CDL. I'd say about half the time it stunk pretty bad coming down 12 into town. Not always fortunately. The further East I went the better. Loved the drive from there to McCall however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:56 PM

62 posts, read 151,991 times
I don't have a least favorite part of Idaho. I think the whole state is fascinating. My favorite place is Rexburg, though. Moved here three years ago and will be leaving in a few weeks (job-related), and it more than exceeded my expectations. No place is perfect, and we always expect to like some things and hate others. But we were very surprised at how hard we fell for this area. Some of the things that stand out:

1. Great schools. Our kids tend to end up in the more advanced classes, and in Rexburg, you're not a freak. There are huge numbers of kids in the advanced math classes. There are some really excellent teachers and principals who care, and I felt like our kids' academic needs were well met.
2. Music. There have to be more string players per capita than anywhere else in the US! Fantastic music programs (band, orchestra, choir) in the schools, PLUS a really excellent local orchestra that performs for FREE (donations accepted), PLUS whatever musical offerings the university has to offer. Plus the town's fascination with ballroom dance. We aren't big dancers ourselves, but the numbers of kids in town who are talented at ballroom dance is impressive.
3. University town. I know, some people don't like students. But unlike other student towns we've lived in (six of them, to be exact), the students here don't get drunk and trash the town. Also, all the aforementioned arts and culture.
4. Non-urban. Again, a matter of personal taste, but I love not having tons of traffic.
5. People in this town raise their kids right. There's a school bus stop in my driveway, and often kids ask if they can shovel snow because "my mom made me leave early, and now I'm bored." I see them when they don't know anyone notices, and aren't trying to put on an act. I see kids sneaking out to shovel people's driveways before they wake up, or ringing doorbells to leave cookies, or whatever. My kids (who have lived in far too many places) have always been amazed at how little bullying there is in school compared to other places. And as my oldest son remarked after we'd been here a while, "Most of the hard work around here is done by teenagers. For free." Compared to anywhere else we've lived, kids here are more service/work-oriented and less entitled.
6. Nature. This area is so, SO gorgeous!! You can live in a civilized area with grocery stores, etc. and you can sleep in your own bed, yet you can go to any number of amazing day trips to natural areas: Mesa Falls, Harriman State Park, Henry's Lake, (heck, all of Island Park), the Palisades, St. Anthony sand dunes, Craters of the Moon, Yellowstone, Grand Teton... We've spend three years trying to go on as many hikes and see as many things as possible, and we've just barely scratched the surface. I love it how you can see bald eagles in the morning and listen to a visiting string quartet from NYC (without having to actually BE in NYC) in the evening.

Basically, it's going to be a killer to leave here. I know it's not for everyone (and for that, I'm glad there are different places so everyone can find their niche), but I'm sure glad I got to live here!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,667 times
Just drove through Boise and then up to Lewiston. By way of 55 and 95. Saw lots we liked. We are looking for a place where we can enjoy the four seasons. Love trees, water, and mountains. Would like 10-15 acres of land. Need to still make a living as we are too young to retire. Any suggestions?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,060 times
Question Caldwell bad? no.

I've lived in the outskirts of Caldwell for over 15 years, near the Nampa/Caldwell boarder near Lake Lowell. The only real bad thing I can say about Caldwell is it has an old town feel, you can bike basically anywhere if your in down town Caldwell. The pubic library is only right across the street to two banks and across the street is a small drive through place I like to go to during the summer months for a nice ice cream cone, and down a little bit down the road is a Walgreen's. Also be aware that Lake Lowell is more of a fishing place then a swimming one, it's not very clean as it is a man made lake.

The places I would avoid is North side Nampa or Nampa in general, lots of crime and a high crime rate, and not to mention it has the Nampa sewage smell you have to contend with in certain areas of Nampa.

Other places to avoid are Garden City, Melba, and Boise (possibly?). Garden City smells AWFUL, there's a reason my family calls it 'Garbage City', even if you don't see it, you'll smell it. Melba you basically HAVE to have a car or vehicle to get to place to place, their is no avoiding it unless your willing to bike or walk 5 to 10 miles to a friends house.The good thing about Melba is the seclusion from people if you like that kind of environment. And Boise, like any large city, has stop and go traffic in a motor vehicle, so biking or walking should be your best options unless you want to compete with parking spaces (a little better then new york, but still pretty bad) the good thing about Boise is they have more bars and places to party then anywhere else.

Depending on your life style, it will depend on where you want to live. Caldwell is a pretty safe bet for young families. Nampa and Boise I would only recommend for people commuting to work and back daily, but be aware of summer time motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. Melba is a good place for those who like to live out in the country desert wasteland, my family calls it 'Idaho's Egypt Capital'. And Garden City is just plain awful, just avoid it at all costs.

There might be other places that I have not mentioned, but they tend to be out of my area of expertise so I'll let other people explain them if they want to.

One last thing, if your going to live somewhere, I would make sure the place you live near isn't near any druggies. Idaho is notorious for pot heads and meth users, even though most avoid the subject. Some places are worse then others, such as the north side of Nampa, Emmett, Garden City, and others. Make sure the place you moving into is the place you wanna live in.

I'm not saying Idaho is crammed full of people on illegal drugs, but there have been lots of problems in the past with people selling and or buying them in the past in the news. But you'll find that almost everywhere in this country. Idaho is very beautiful during most months, Fall is my favorite during the changing of the leafs, summer can be unbearably hot and winter bitterly cold so I like the in between.

Last edited by Luna The Wise; 05-09-2014 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention something.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:12 PM

15 posts, read 41,917 times
Worst-Pocatello. Just moved here and heard from everyone after that its considered the armpit of idaho. run down, every woman literally smokes and has arm(sleeve) and chest tattoos, men and even young boys have ear piercings, the middle schoolers are allowed to have facial piercings. i feel like im in white trash town. and yes, there are lots of other trashy races here as well. seen plenty of gay couples. when our lease is up we are getting outta of pocatello asap. and unless you want to survive on minimum wage, dont expect many job opportunities.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin2move5 View Post
Worst-Pocatello. Just moved here and heard from everyone after that its considered the armpit of idaho. run down, every woman literally smokes and has arm(sleeve) and chest tattoos, men and even young boys have ear piercings, the middle schoolers are allowed to have facial piercings. i feel like im in white trash town. and yes, there are lots of other trashy races here as well. seen plenty of gay couples. when our lease is up we are getting outta of pocatello asap. and unless you want to survive on minimum wage, dont expect many job opportunities.
Sounds like Portland Oregon. But you are out of line regarding the racial comments in your post. If you feel that way about people then It is probably best you get out asap.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 05-16-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 PM

81 posts, read 124,740 times
Any info on post falls, Coeur d alene, Hayden, rathdrum area?

I hunt, fish, off road, camp, etc. Looked at Boise and it's way to California for me.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:17 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,706 times
N Idaho is also all Californians now too....

Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizen View Post
Any info on post falls, Coeur d alene, Hayden, rathdrum area?

I hunt, fish, off road, camp, etc. Looked at Boise and it's way to California for me.
Boise is all Idaho.

You might want to check out Rexburg.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 05-22-2014 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 8,657 times
I love Pocatello, been everywhere in Idaho and can honestly say the worst is IF/Rexburg. I'm mormon but I can't stand those towns. Pocatello has way more character and outdoor oppoetunity than most places and the people here are cool. Lots of diversity and a great institution in ISU..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho