Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 PM

31 posts, read 109,497 times

Advertisements

North Idaho fella

I have nothing against people from Californaia. Both my Best Friend and Husband are from there. A few years ago i read the sences for Idaho. The majority of people who were new to the parts, where indeed from California. You may take the time to look it up yourself. My biggest issue is when people say " Boy, north Idaho is Beautiful, we should move there". Then for reasons unknown to me, they decided and by they.... I mean those who have made ugly changes. That it needs this and that and whatever else.
Building all this bull, takes away from the Natural Beauty. The reason people moved her!!! My question is why is it we have to destroy Natures Natual beauty, for buildings, parking lots. Money, money, money.. I'm not a tree hugger or any of that. I just don't see why, those of us who do like the beauty that was Coeur d Alene have to have parking lots and over priced homes, shoved down our throat. If we want all that, we could move to a city. As i ended up doing. People live in small towns ... because they love the feel of small town living. It just really blows to have that taken away.
Some people will agree other will not. I'm just saying how i feel about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 06:01 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Tiffany76,

I think an awful lot of us feel as you do to some extent. One reason we like Bonner County is the 5ac minimum parcel rule. And generally there are very few subdivisions in the area, and some of those are awfully pricey homes on 1-3ac so it's not a huge impact.

But this thread is about thinking hard "think twice" before escaping to Idaho, since there are down sides of living here that people just don't take into consideration when weighing the idea of moving here...

Certainly the idea is an important one, that people who live here (whether they're a "local" or if they just moved here last month) love it here for the beauty and grandeur and DON'T want it turned into some replica of Southern California, and people who move here and find themselves not liking certain things and trying to "make them better and more modern" WILL find a ton of resistance and resentment from their neighbors should they try.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:13 PM

19 posts, read 272,007 times
Warning,

There are those of us in CA who moved to the outskirts and they have overtaken us here. It even happens in CA. We want to leave to be more more rural.

Thanks for the warnings. Good stuff.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM

21 posts, read 76,494 times
Good post. I've always found Idaho to be a place to escape from, not to.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwexplor View Post
Good post. I've always found Idaho to be a place to escape from, not to.
Spend a few years in California and you'll be happy to come back to Idaho

Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 PM

21 posts, read 76,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Spend a few years in California and you'll be happy to come back to Idaho
I lived in Fresno briefly in the 1980s and that was the only time in my life that I've kept a loaded .45 connected to my person at all times. So I definitely know why you want to leave.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:54 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwexplor View Post
I lived in Fresno briefly in the 1980s and that was the only time in my life that I've kept a loaded .45 connected to my person at all times. So I definitely know why you want to leave.
And the 80's weren't as bad as it is now there!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 21,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina3219 View Post
I moved from a rural area in Ann Arbor Michigan to Cottonwood. I have a pension and 401 k after working 30 years for a utility. New friends, strange people are where ever I go whether mich, or arizona. Yes I am a snowbird and no I am not going to lose all my savings going back and forth either. You just have to know your limits on what you can or cannot do and stick to it...its called having a plan.
I love the small town atmosphere of cottonwood (which is changing rapidly with the influx of "transplants" of which i am one) and always have liked living in rural areas. If you love blue skies, not having to use a snow blower and fighting below zero wind chills then I think you would like arizona. Cottonwood has its problems with the kids as any community does that doesnt put money into recreational facilities to keep there minds busy, their butts off the street and out of trouble. These problems (drugs, crime) are caused by people who do or do not vote because they are tightfisted with their money and dont want the higher taxes for education and recreational facilities. however what i have found is that you pay now or pay later and by that i mean you pay for their upkeep when incarcerated. Meals, exercise facilities, cable, healthcare, education ect...while in prison.
.........I do not understand the term "People who do or do not vote" I do know people have every right to be "Tightfisted with THEIR money" Keyword THEIR. And as far as pay now or pay later. Thats fine for someone who can afford these increases. If your paying 600 dollars a year and it goes up 10 percent its 60 bucks. Here in NY if they increase my property tax 10 persent its a grand. This town is full of wall street people who think I am being "Tightfisted" and that its either Pay now or pay later. Im a retired cop on a pension. They dont understand that. In your area you are probably their version of the guys who are taxing me out of my area.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 PM

24 posts, read 67,911 times
Nice one Warning: NOT!!.

I like people who stereo type. So you really think that Idaho is as rugged as they come? You should probably be more concerned about your blood pressure more so than what an out of towner should be worried or think about.

Get over yourself. Let people live their lives as they want to not as you think they should

Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 PM

21 posts, read 29,142 times
Default Great post, Sandpointian!!!

Great post, Sandpointian!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Let's eliminate the labels, shall we? No residents from a given state have corned the market on greed and environmental destruction. At the same time, no no state can lay claim from having residents that are all tree huggers. In the America that I once knew, we valued individuals and taught our youth not to judge a book by its cover.

I know local Idahoans who cannot wait to sell their farmland to the highest bidder or who relish the loophole in their zoning to strip trees and built on a mountain that used to be claimed by all (Mr. Erickson on Canfield Mountain). And I know new inmigrants who will plow ahead with plans regardless of the impact on the local community (Ms. Kirk-Hughes in Harrison). And the reverse is true: locals who preserve land at great financial sacrifice and inmigrants who cut through the local politics to do teh right thing without call for fanfare. We got em all up here!

Every American has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in a manner that they see fit. Where there is conflict there are laws and courts. We cannot legislate kindness, friendliness, or taste, although most of us can use periodic refreshers on each. What we can do, however, is try to create communities that are healthy and with enough space to allow for a wide variety of pursuits and interpretations. officials and companies and drop the negative and wholesale labeling of people based on place of birth, residence, color, creed, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho