Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 36,221 times

Advertisements

I am in Coeur d'Alene checking out the area. I see advantages of living in Idaho as opposed to the rural Spokane area but am wondering what the board thinks are the pros and cons of each area.
Washington: high sales tax and high property tax but no income tax.
Idaho: lower sales tax, moderate property tax but it has an income tax and higher priced homes.
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:44 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Washington is all but run by very liberal King County (where Seattle is), that's reason enough to choose CDA over Spokane if you have a choice.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Washington is all but run by very liberal King County (where Seattle is), that's reason enough to choose CDA over Spokane if you have a choice.
I agree. The "progressive" laws coming out of Seattle are enough to keep me over on the Idaho side of things.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 PM

130 posts, read 428,332 times
If you've spent any amount of time in both Eastern and Western Washington, you'd notice a huge difference between the two.

Have no fear; the good ol' boy system is alive and well in the Spokane area. Having spent a lot of energy trying to help get legislation passed, I speak from experience.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while Idaho is a Right to Work state, Washington is not. You would do well to do some research in that regard.

The CDA and Spokane area is all sort of a mosh anyway. There's got to be a way to get the best of both worlds, eh?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
One more thing to keep in mind...which I researched before moving to this area as a retired cop...

Spokane's property crime rate is off the charts high, auto theft rate rivaling Los Angeles, anything not bolted down is carried off by tweakers. That alone was enough to keep me away from even the outlaying areas like Liberty Lake or Spokane Valley, although those aren't as bad.

Of course CDA/Sandpoint was where most retired guys I knew from the force had moved, so this was my first choice by default, but when comparing the two, that should be a factor in your thinking...

Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 AM

Arizona is a Right to Work state which is not a good thing. It keeps wages very low.

My wife is also a retired cop. We have been looking in the Athol area but just read about a possible mine opening in the area that has the residents worried. I want to know more about that issue before deciding.

We have considered Liberty Lake, Mead and Corbet in Washington. We want rural with 5 or more acres so that is what is drawing us towards Athol and that area.

Anyone know about the Hauser Lake area? Found some nice areas in the foothills above the lake.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptrix View Post
Arizona is a Right to Work state which is not a good thing. It keeps wages very low.
Just so you're aware, Idaho is a right to work state as well

Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 PM

I just found out that both Idaho and Washington expect you to pay sales tax on your own vehicles when you register them in that state. Washington is raising the sales tax as of October.

Washington also has an excise (sales) tax of 1.7% or more when you sell your own home. Washington has lots of taxes.

I think it is Idaho for me. I have to get out of the heat of Arizona.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:44 PM

130 posts, read 428,332 times
You do not need to pay a sales tax in Idaho if you paid sales tax in your home state. Of course, you will need to provide proof that sales tax has been paid and you have owned the vehicle for more than 90 days.

I believe the same is true in Washington. Did this information come from DOL?

I'm thinking specifically of RCW 82.12.035, which allows a credit for taxes paid on tangible items purchased out of state.

Last edited by Greensleeves; 08-30-2008 at 10:48 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 05:21 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
We bought our last car before leaving SoCal, but went to register it in Idaho. I waited to get to ID, since getting a car titled in ID was much cheaper and registration was only a fraction. Probably saved about $400 by waiting an extra couple weeks to title the car in ID...

But yeah, almost every state has a "use tax" and in theory you're supposed to keep track of your receipts for purchases made out of state (upon which you were not charged sales tax by the state of origin) and pay a use tax to the state in which you reside. Yeah....lots of folks love that one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho