Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 PM

8 posts, read 17,733 times

Advertisements

Would anyone know if an unmarried 16yr old with a baby could be
considered and Adult in Idaho ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
No. It's an unmarried minor with a baby. Having a baby does not by default grant a person adult status...

Old 09-17-2008, 03:13 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,744 times
If the 16 year old is living on her own and caring for herself and the child without her parents, then in certain circumstances, she is considered an adult. She is not considered an adult for say, a misdemeanor offense. By the same token, she doesn't need mom or dad's consent to see a doctor either, or to be the guarantor for her child. There is a fine line that is drawn and difficult at times to distinguish depending on who is taking her age into consideration.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:41 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
I believe that 16-year-old would have to be legally emancipated before she could be considered as an adult. She would not be allow to enter into any sort of contract (rental agreement, utilities service or the like) before she was 18...some states recognize emancipation, some do not. I am not aware of Idaho's laws on this subject but I suspect they are the same as here where I live. I live in AZ and this state does not recognize emancipation OR commonlaw marriages.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams9 View Post
Would anyone know if an unmarried 16yr old with a baby could be
considered and Adult in Idaho ?
Wow... brace yourself. Idaho law is mostly dominated by a "traditional family" perspective, and you may get some fallout from that in this thread.

In the good faith notion that you're an honest person actually in that dilemma (and not just stirring contention), I can second Sage that the baby has no legal bearing on a legal status of adulthood. When I was growing up in Boise, I knew a pair of 16-year-old girls (no babies) who managed to sign a lease, though it was not legal and their landlord had some questionable practices of his own that made them an "opportune" bending of the rules, if you will. Even beyond that issue, they fell into irreparable debt with the cost-of-living against their minimum wage jobs. There are a lot of hidden costs in autonomy (i.e., living on your own by your own rules), and all new adults are eager and excited until they come across those. I was.

You really want to watch out as a minor looking for that kind of independence, especially if, quite frankly and no offense intended, you're the type to seek that sort of advice in a chat room as opposed to official Idaho statutes and constitutional documents.

If you don't know your rights and go out looking for favors, someone is likely to give you those favors and tell you your rights. I don't mean to sound condescending, as I hold a bias in favor of youth rights due to the dysfunctional circumstances of some families and the aggregious failures of the foster system in some cases (some victims I've known as personal friends, and hell hath no fury like a callous bureaucracy with too little resources and too much authority).

That said, the fact that you're posting this sort of question in a chat room suggests that you may not be ready for the responsibilities of autonomous adulthood. For the sake of you and your child, you should stick it out with one of your parents, and if they won't support you for whatever irresponsible rationalization they come up with, look into the many not-so-callous organizations that are there to help juvenile mothers out with "halfway" residence where you can learn how to be self-sufficient and not be conned or overwhelmed when you do finally live on your own.

I know how much you'd rather not read that (and I'm surprised if you read this far, knowing how proud/defiant/lazy I was at 16), but I had to say it, just for the naive, "fancy-free" girls I've known who didn't have someone to say it to them and lost their young life to debt, legal problems, and worse. You looked for advice in a chat room, and this is about as nice and honest as it'll get aside from advice from people who have been through your circumstance themselves. You're in quite the predicament, and no romanticized notion or movie is going to sum up what you've got ahead of you. You will be forced to mature faster (or lose your mind) and making a life is a beautiful thing, but say good bye to "having it your way". That's the way it is.

Last edited by stingraynm; 09-17-2008 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Bolded the important stuff... I get too wordy.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:27 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I believe that 16-year-old would have to be legally emancipated before she could be considered as an adult. She would not be allow to enter into any sort of contract (rental agreement, utilities service or the like) before she was 18...some states recognize emancipation, some do not. I am not aware of Idaho's laws on this subject but I suspect they are the same as here where I live. I live in AZ and this state does not recognize emancipation OR commonlaw marriages.
I agree, esselcue. She might be able to get around this by joining the military.

To the OP, what is your objective?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Gotta be 17 to join the military unless a parent signs off.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:16 AM

Don't answer if this is too personal; but I'm curious, what role are your parents playing in all of this?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
With a name like Grams I wouldn't be sure the OP is referring to themselves.

But to the OP: If you or the subject of your question needs something that you think being considered an adult might provide, ask away about the need, I'm sure everyone here will try to get answers for you.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
With a name like Grams I wouldn't be sure the OP is referring to themselves.

But to the OP: If you or the subject of your question needs something that you think being considered an adult might provide, ask away about the need, I'm sure everyone here will try to get answers for you.
Y'know, that's a very good point, in which case most of my rambling wouldn't be worth much and my last question would have all the answer it needs.

If that's the case, sorry to the OP for wasting your time in the noble task of searching for the best option for family in a bind.

You may want to contact the Dept. of Health and Welfare for each state you are considering. They can not only refer you to the applicable statutes, but could also refer you to many organizations that are dedicated to new mothers who are also minors. Those organizations have a wealth of resources that will be funded no matter what, so they might as well be utilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: