U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:27 AM

16 posts, read 95,847 times

Advertisements

I am a lifelong resident of idaho and it has been years since ive been to the sandpoint area. I am interested in leaving the small mountain town of idaho city. I am wondering how deep the snow gets in sandpoint. i love the snow and want at least 18 inches on the ground. Pretty sure the town of Sandpoint doesnt consistenly get that amount but maybe somewhere nearby does (schweitzer is too expensive though). last year was so nice finally got the 4 feet of snow we used to get all the time. Thanks any info would be great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 08:06 PM

50 posts, read 148,255 times
Default snow in Sandpoint

I was in Sandpoint last year and they had record snows. It was incredible and so pretty. I don't know how much the norm is but you can go to Sandpoint online and they have lots of good information there.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:45 AM

6 posts, read 28,573 times
Default Annual Snowfall in Sandpoint

Here is the bottom line: most years we have the kind of snow you want. For the last five years, we have typically had at least 18 inches on the ground at any given moment. Only one year was the snow less than average.

According to records taken from the Sandpoint Experiment Station from 1910 to 2005, Sandpoint averages 70.4 inches a season. Last year, we had record snowfall, about doubling typical years, even more than in 1996. This happens about once every decade.

Already this year, Schweitzer is at half of its annual rate. Jennifer Ekstrom, communications manager for Schweitzer Ski Resort sent out an e-mail stating that Schweitzer normally gets 100 inches by the end of December. As of the end of 2008, they have 150 inches already!

Two years ago, when Colorado wasn't getting snow, and European and eastern US ski resorts didn't even open because of lack of snow, we had plenty.

To the south of us, in Spokane and Coeur d'Alene, they have gotten a significantly higher amount of snow than we have so far this season. We expect big snow, and our snow removal crews have done a great job keeping the roads clear. Not so in Spokane. Curious thing is, it can be snowing, and the temps are in the low to mid 30s. Pretty warm compared to Colorado or other big snow areas. Reason is, they say we are in a banana belt, and our big body of water, the 148 square mile Lake Pend Oreille, ammeliorates the temperatures, keeping things warmer in Sandpoint than other regions.

From those that grumble about the weather here, they say, "You know we have all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction." From my perspective, we have wonderful blooming springs, gentle summers that can get in the 100s for a month or so, beautiful fall foliage, and jammin' ski-ready winters.

You want snow, we got it.

Here is a page that gives more details: Sandpoint Weather

Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 AM

34,678 posts, read 20,888,481 times
It really depends on the winter. Last winter I think we had snowcover from Thanksgiving to May even at low elevations. Most years we'll get a good dumping, then see most of it melt. Snow level is very elevation related, if you want snow just look above 3000 feet most anywhere outside of Sandpoint. Spirt Lake area is considered to be a snowbelt too.

As gpltlc said, the Bonner County snow removal crews do a great job, even on the backroads. I live on a little remote backroad, it's usually plowed by daylight, the plow driver even pulled my pickup out of the ditch the other morning. These guys haven't slept much lately, it's dumped on us for the last 2-3 weeks. The Spokane area doesn't get it, it does snow there...they plow the sidestreets within a week or so of a major dump, assuming another storm hasn't come within that time frame. I was over in the Valley a week or so ago, sidestreets were barely passable with a 4x4 pickup. FWIW, the rural roads of Bonner County are kept in better shape than the side streets in the city of Sandpoint. While CDA had more snow than Sandpoint a couple weeks ago (a 30" or so dump of real light, fluffy snow), I think we've caught back up.

Jenkins, do you ski or snowmobile?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 AM

16 posts, read 95,847 times
I ski but i am looking to buy a snowmobile by next winter. I live in the mountains inbetween Boise and Idaho City. We get quite a bit snow we have about 26 inches on the ground now but the area is just getting too crowded for me.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 PM

5,070 posts, read 7,354,595 times
We were in Sandpoint today and there is a good bit less snow than we have here near Priest Lake. Anybody need some?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 PM

148 posts, read 455,768 times
mistyriverranch, can you throw some over the mountain to the naples area. greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 PM

264 posts, read 881,681 times
Check out this link: Western US COOP Station Map

I think you will find it very useful.

BTW here is the station for Sandpoint: SANDPOINT EXPERMNT STN, IDAHO - Climate Summary

Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 PM

5,070 posts, read 7,354,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander dave View Post
mistyriverranch, can you throw some over the mountain to the naples area. greatly appreciated.

I only wish the snowblower on the tractor could fling it that far. Filthy, nasty white stuff.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 AM

148 posts, read 455,768 times
i'll take snow any day over the freezing rain that we got AGAIN this morning. third time we have had ice in week and a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho