Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:49 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times

Advertisements

We have a few different kinds of stinkbugs here apparently. I prefer the wolves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
We have a few different kinds of stinkbugs here apparently. I prefer the wolves.
Idaho certainly has no deficit of wildlife in its abundant wilderness.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Likes: four distinct seasons, yes including the snow, vast wilderness, blue clear skies, the people, the laid back feeling

Dislikes: the growth Sorry, but it's true. Along with our increased growth has come increased crime.

We moved here from the central valley of California and yep, you'd have to hig tie me to get me back there. In fact, the only time I've gone recently are for funerals.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,744 times
Worst;
1) Hobo spiders. Those things are so HUGE and FAST and Creepy!
2) below freezing temps (which aren't happening much these days.
3) dominating religion can be tough to handle at times but is better then it used to be.

Best;
1) Low crime rate
2) friendlier overall atmosphere then many places I've been
3) cost of living is easier on the pocket book then many other areas

Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
me too

Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
Worst;
1) Hobo spiders. Those things are so HUGE and FAST and Creepy!
Yeah, those things are awful. They, too, get really big for a Northwestern bug... this time an arachnid. Many have crawled from an "executionary" kleenex due to their speed and leginess. I even swallowed one in my sleep once, and only found out because I went to a doc in the box for the fever, sore throat, and dizziness that ensued. Apparently it's common... not to give you nightmares. Their bite can pack quite the punch if it's near major circulatory or lymph transfers. A bite on the hand is like the early stages of brown recluse, without the decay that follows. Usually it's a pretty smooth circle that surrounds it. Yeah, aside from the easy kill if you're quick, I'd actually take a tarantula over those things any day.

Of course, on a positive note, I had such a problem with them due to a basement apt. in an old duplex in Moscow. All my upstairs friends didn't have them, but had a serious fly problem due to the rural summers. At any given time that friends had dozens (if not hundreds it seemed) of flies, I tended to only have two or three. Hobo spiders are nasty buggers, but they are proficient "guard bugs".

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Yeah, those things are awful. They, too, get really big for a Northwestern bug... this time an arachnid. Many have crawled from an "executionary" kleenex due to their speed and leginess. I even swallowed one in my sleep once, and only found out because I went to a doc in the box for the fever, sore throat, and dizziness that ensued. Apparently it's common... not to give you nightmares. Their bite can pack quite the punch if it's near major circulatory or lymph transfers. A bite on the hand is like the early stages of brown recluse, without the decay that follows. Usually it's a pretty smooth circle that surrounds it. Yeah, aside from the easy kill if you're quick, I'd actually take a tarantula over those things any day.

Of course, on a positive note, I had such a problem with them due to a basement apt. in an old duplex in Moscow. All my upstairs friends didn't have them, but had a serious fly problem due to the rural summers. At any given time that friends had dozens (if not hundreds it seemed) of flies, I tended to only have two or three. Hobo spiders are nasty buggers, but they are proficient "guard bugs".
I think I'll take the flies, and I hate flies

We had quite a problem with them years ago but it's mellowed out and i've only seen three this year, one was dead, one wasn't TOO huge, but the third one I thought for sure was going to eat my entire dinner.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,537 times
Default no jobs!

the worst thing about idaho is that there is a small group of very rich people who have kept corporations (larger ones that would bring lots of jobs) out of idaho. someone told me they overheard some of these people talking and the conversation was the desire to keep wages low.

so you have micron. and you have micron. that's if they are making money. when they lay off, it is terrible.

the best might be that ...well, sorry can't think of something cause if you ain't making a living wage, nothing else matters.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyjo View Post
the worst thing about idaho is that there is a small group of very rich people who have kept corporations (larger ones that would bring lots of jobs) out of idaho. someone told me they overheard some of these people talking and the conversation was the desire to keep wages low.

so you have micron. and you have micron. that's if they are making money. when they lay off, it is terrible.

the best might be that ...well, sorry can't think of something cause if you ain't making a living wage, nothing else matters.
"someone told me they overheard some of these people talking"

I'm sorry...but this is even LESS credible than "I knew a guy who knew a guy, and he said..."

Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 AM

69 posts, read 155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
I even swallowed one in my sleep once, and only found out because I went to a doc in the box for the fever, sore throat, and dizziness that ensued. Apparently it's common... not to give you nightmares.

That's my only real complaint about Idaho--the creepy crawlies. It's still not nearly as bad as where I'm from in the South (no venomous snakes!), but I sure could do without the abundance of yellowjackets, hornets, and hobo spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho