Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 12,877 times

Advertisements

Hi Idahoans

I will move to Pocatello this May but heard that a nuclear test will be conducted in NE but will influence Pocatello and there is a large nuclear lab near Pocatello. I am pretty concerned about if these stuff will influence health. What do you think?

Thanks.

bailing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 09:41 PM

121 posts, read 737,854 times
HUH??
There is no nuclear testing going on anywhere in the country. There is a large non-nuclear test planned for Nevada (not Nebraska). This will consist of what's essentially a giant fertilizer bomb to SIMULATE a nuclear blast. It may not happen at all. There are a lot of people opposed to the blast, which will create a huge mushroom cloud of smoke and dust. I doubt it will be noticed in Pocatello which is several hundred miles away.

The "nuclear lab" you are referring to is the Idaho National Laboratory. It's a scientific research and development lab. And it's very good for your health. It brings lots of jobs and money to the region. Contrary to what a few loons in Sun Valley and Jackson like to claim, there is no danger to the public except for maybe the crowded highway. In fact, if you knew how obsessed the place actually is with safety, you wouldn't even ask that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailingma View Post
Hi Idahoans
I will move to Pocatello this May but heard that a nuclear test will be conducted in NE but will influence Pocatello and there is a large nuclear lab near Pocatello. I am pretty concerned about if these stuff will influence health. What do you think?

Thanks.
bailing

Old 02-21-2007, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 18,898 times
There were some fears about messing with the dust of long past nuclear tests in Nevada. The news reported that some of that dust could be blown up into Idaho. However, that would be southern Idaho. And the amount of radiation from any Nevada dust blown in would be several times less than getting an X-ray.

So no one is in fear of suddenly having the ability to glow-in-the-dark. Though, that might be fun if I could choose the color!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 12,877 times
Default Re: Nuclear test

Hi guys

Thanks for replying my concern about nuclear related safety.

Please see new nuclear test: http://www.healutah.org/news/downwinders/020707

and nuclear waste dump:

http://www.idahocleanupproject.com/ (broken link)

bailing

Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,058 times
Are you maybe referring to the test that was supposed to be done in Utah?? I just heard on the news that it was called off, and maybe I'm totally off base and that didn't have anything to do with nuclear activity.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times
NUCLEAR TEST

To CAFEDELSOL & or anyone that can answer this:

In reference to your clarification, what you mentioned above,

Do you know WHEN the supposedly nuclear test/simulation in Nevada is to take place, what month & year?

Thank you,
COUNTRYLV22

Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 PM

37 posts, read 170,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
NUCLEAR TEST

To CAFEDELSOL & or anyone that can answer this:

In reference to your clarification, what you mentioned above,

Do you know WHEN the supposedly nuclear test/simulation in Nevada is to take place, what month & year?

Thank you,
COUNTRYLV22
The test named 'Divine Strake' has been cancelled. Can't help you with when it was supposed to occur. Most of the people in so. Utah and Nev were very much against the test as they feel they suffered through the A and H bomb tests of the 50's and 60's and didn't want to take chances that there would be no radioactive dust kicked up. As I understand the situation, there was a higher than normal level of cancer in people living in s Utah and Nev. following those tests. Utah Governor, Scott Matheson died from cancer several years ago and many people cited his exposure to those tests as the cancer's source. I am not sure how medicine can separate out those cancers that occurred from the atomic tests from those that would have happened regardless other than to note the higher than normal cancer rate for those exposed. I guess my question is - some of those people would have cancer if the tests had never happened; how does one pick out the people that got sick because of the test?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times
NUCLEAR TEST

To SOFAM:

Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it!
I am happy to hear that it has been cancelled! GREAT NEWS!!
I am sure that the test would have affected the area of the test, as well as the surrounding states. And we do not need anymore toxins released into the air we breath...
When I have researched info on CANCER, it seems that a lot of times exposure to toxic situations accelerates diseases that might have occured at a later date, and sometimes brings on problems that might have never occurred, so why take the RISK? (just my humble opinion...)

Thank you so much!
COUNTRYLV22
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: