Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times

Advertisements

Funny this thread should pop up....I was busy untangling some hose in front of the house on Sunday when some fellows in button down turned from the sidewalk onto a path to my house. They were about half way down the path when I looked up, put my palm up in the universal "stop" sign, and stated "don't come to this house. That "no tresspassing" sign means no tresspassing." Without a word they turned on their heels and continued down the block, one of them texting what I hope will be a note to avoid my house!! I don't think they were LDS, more likely a travelling Baptist group which had left some unwanted flier on my step about 2 feet from the no tresspassing sign. Maybe it's time to add "this means YOU" under the "no tresspassing part. I just don't get it, strangers thinking they can disregard folks personal property and right to live unmolested by their uninvited presence! My neighbors can tresspass all they want, heck, I am insulted if they aren't taking their share of salad fixings from my garden, but I wish these obnoxious proselytizers and cable salesmen would READ THE FRIGGIN SIGN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:59 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,363 times
That used to bug my wife. We grew up in the midwest where you didn't drop in uninvited. Seems westerners just do it because they're bored or lonely or both.

They were the reason I had to post "No Trespassing" and got the law to enforce it on our property. Still they ignored that, driving 250 yds up the hillside to ask me if they could hunt on my land!

I got their plates and called the Sheriff who gave them a stern warning in town. The next day my mailbox with covered with deer guts. That was the last straw............

Old 07-19-2009, 04:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
That used to bug my wife. We grew up in the midwest where you didn't drop in uninvited. Seems westerners just do it because they're bored or lonely or both.

They were the reason I had to post "No Trespassing" and got the law to enforce it on our property. Still they ignored that, driving 250 yds up the hillside to ask me if they could hunt on my land!

I got their plates and called the Sheriff who gave them a stern warning in town. The next day my mailbox with covered with deer guts. That was the last straw............
If you don't want any driveway visitors whatsoever, I'd recommend you get "No Hunting" signs, or even something personalized to the point that people shouldn't bother entering and asking. A locked gate can help, but some people will just walk through that. For wildnerness property, especially of the larger, more remote variety, it's not an uncommon convention for hunters to still feel welcome using driveways in order to ask about using land. This is even more common when the land was previously public or had a shortly prior owner who allowed hunting.

In your case, the hunters apparently felt entitled, and that's unacceptable (and rare), so you shouldn't see too many retaliations like that one (unless you're mean), but you can expect to see lots of hunters coming up your drive if all you have is a "No Trespassing" sign. Although the law includes driveways in private property, there is an informal mentality - even among many landowners - that using driveways to inquire about things (e.g., directions, hunting) is okay as long as you don't use the land or stop and idle/park.

As was probably stated before in this thread, the Inland West is really into a neighborly friendliness, especially as you get into the more rural or wilderness properties. All the same, however, privacy is highly valued and respected, so those who make it explicitly clear shouldn't see continued harrassment. Unfortunately, as you've found out, finding the exact explicit message you need can be a trial and error.

Something along the lines of "No Hunting and Don't Ask" may do the trick for your locale, though, especially with the "No Trespassing" sign right next to it. Then people should "take the hint".

Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
If you don't want any driveway visitors whatsoever, I'd recommend you get "No Hunting" signs, or even something personalized to the point that people shouldn't bother entering and asking. A locked gate can help, but some people will just walk through that.
What part of No Trespassing don't you understand? No hunting and No fishing signs are torn down.

Quote:
For wildnerness property, especially of the larger, more remote variety, it's not an uncommon convention for hunters to still feel welcome using driveways in order to ask about using land. This is even more common when the land was previously public or had a shortly prior owner who allowed hunting.
The land in question, was never in public domain. Always in our family since the 1800's. And, everyone in the valley knew it. It is the "outsiders" who cause the problems.

Quote:
In your case, the hunters apparently felt entitled, and that's unacceptable (and rare), so you shouldn't see too many retaliations like that one (unless you're mean), but you can expect to see lots of hunters coming up your drive if all you have is a "No Trespassing" sign. Although the law includes driveways in private property, there is an informal mentality - even among many landowners - that using driveways to inquire about things (e.g., directions, hunting) is okay as long as you don't use the land or stop and idle/park.
The law is the law - you see a no trespassing sign and it means what it says! If you haven't seen one lately, the Sheriff requires your name and phone # on it before he'll enforce the letter of the law. In Wyoming it's that specific. The fact they had to drive up my driveway was no excuse. There's no cure for stupid! Our Sheriff tracked down the hunters - they weren't locals and arrested them. The state court fined them, and I turned the matter over to the Postal inspector - b/c it's a mailbox. The fines were stiff and they won't be allowed to purchase a license in Wyoming for another ten years.

Last edited by gaduchman; 07-24-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 08:51 AM

45 posts, read 288,186 times
Is it appropriate to put up a sign on/near the door saying "No Soliciting Please" ? In France that's what people did if they didn't want anyone knocking on their door trying to sell something. Considering your visits are of a religious nature, maybe you could put up a sticker with the name of your church (if you go to one) or one of those "coexist" stickers that uses religious symbols to spell it out... they might get the hint...

Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
What part of No Trespassing don't you understand? No hunting and No fishing signs are torn down.

The land in question, was never in public domain. Always in our family since the 1800's. And, everyone in the valley knew it. It is the "outsiders" who cause the problems.

The law is the law - you see a no trespassing sign and it means what it says! If you haven't seen one lately, the Sheriff requires your name and phone # on it before he'll enforce the letter of the law. In Wyoming it's that specific. The fact they had to drive up my driveway was no excuse. There's no cure for stupid! Our Sheriff tracked down the hunters - they weren't locals and arrested them. The state court fined them, and I turned the matter over to the Postal inspector - b/c it's a mailbox. The fines were stiff and they won't be allowed to purchase a license in Wyoming for another ten years.
I see how it is ... I never said I didn't understand No Trespassing, and don't know where you got that idea (or that tone). All I was telling you is how some are likely to have a loose interpretation of a No Trespassing sign due to local convention. That name and phone no. is a good idea. My family owns a lot of land near Cascade and Grangeville in Idaho, and nobody ever tore down our No Hunting signs.

I was just trying to help.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Perhaps a simple sign that reads "Don't Bother Me" is in order, straight and to the point

Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,631 times
Those who walk by or around a "No Trespassing" sign must not believe it applies to them. Maybe you need to get their attention with some additional words of caution just below the "No Trespassing" warning:

"If you can read this, you’re in range"

"Forget the dog….Beware of owner"

"Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

"Anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning"

"Violators will be violated"

"Illiterates will be shot"

"Survivors will be prosecuted"

"Welcome to the Stevie Wonder Shooting School"

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 07-26-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherriviere View Post
Is it appropriate to put up a sign on/near the door saying "No Soliciting Please" ? In France that's what people did if they didn't want anyone knocking on their door trying to sell something. Considering your visits are of a religious nature, maybe you could put up a sticker with the name of your church (if you go to one) or one of those "coexist" stickers that uses religious symbols to spell it out... they might get the hint...
I actually wish we could get some results from the mailbox signs that read "No Circulars". A lot of us make an effort to minimize our junk mail, so getting it from a tax-funded institution is really stupid.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
Those who walk by or around a "No Trespassing" sign must not believe it applies to them. Maybe you need to get their attention with some additional words of caution just below the "No Trespassing" warning:

"If you can read this, you’re in range"

"Forget the dog….Beware of owner"

"Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

"Anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning"

"Violators will be violated"

"Illiterates will be shot"

"Survivors will be prosecuted"

"Welcome to the Stevie Wonder Shooting School"

pimit2 (Bob)
Good idea, except if you actually end up shooting someone on your property in legitimate self-defense these kinds of signs can end up being a serious liability. I would only recommend posting such a sign if one does not actually keep firearms on the premises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho