Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 AM

993 posts, read 3,240,589 times

Advertisements

When we finally get to idaho and I am going to the Motor vehicle department to get an Idaho drivers License do I need to take a Idaho test?
I haven't had a speeding ticket in years but I do have a motorcycle endorsement.
What is the usual procedure ? Do they just see if my license in calif is current and then give me an Idaho license

Also what about plates for my cars and camping trailer ?
We need Potato Plates...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:50 PM

130 posts, read 426,632 times
You'll have to take the written test.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,796,961 times
Be aware that the Idaho Motorcycle Endorsement test is actually much harder than the one in California. Even as a retired cop who has ridden for 2 decades, I got a couple wrong (since they apply to Harleys but not to sportbikes....hahaha).

Just make sure you get a copy of the ID driver handbook in advance and STUDY IT GOOD before you go in, and you'll be fine. Follow these links to download a PDF copy:

Auto: http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv/driverservi...ver_manual.pdf
Bikes: http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv/driverservi...cle_manual.pdf

It's not done like the California DMV mess...here it's handled through each county's sheriff's office. The list is here: Idaho Driver License County Office Locations

In Bonner County (Sandpoint), I was quite literally in and out in 40 minutes, only because there were 2 people already in the office and only one clerk. When we went in to get my daughter an ID card, we were in and out in 10 minutes. Not like the "take a day off work and sit at the DMV" we're used to, buddy!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Great Infomation Sage.

I have had a motorcycle and a endorsement since 1970 and now I'm getting nervous about having to take the test again.
I better study that pamphlet.

Thanks

Old 12-06-2008, 11:48 PM

My difficulty is that I have done professional racetrack training for motorcycle riders on sportbikes, and some of their test questions/answers are actually "wrong" if you're on a higher performance bike. I asked about it, and they said it assumes a more basic road bike with less maneuvering capabilities. So if you're answering, think Harley Road King or Triumph Bonneville...not Ducati sportbike.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:00 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,910,918 times
LOL DR do study the book a little. When we were going to get licenses I quizzed Joe all the way from Clayton to Sun Valley where we stopped for him to take his test. I was going to wait on mine. Then I decided what the heck. Just do it and see. If you do not pass you can take it again. So I passed only missing one about drinking and driving and since I would never do that I did not know the answer. He just barely passed.

Do have your house bought and all so you can give them the current address. To get the current address changed on your license I think it was an extra 11 dollars. Why I waited when we made our last move. They will change it on the license records but not make you up a new one with out paying for it.

Chris

Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 AM

Thanks Chris.

When we find the proper house to buy we will change the addres on the license.
If it's only 11 bucks to do that that's good.
They charge us 11 bucks here in California just to stand in line at the DMV

Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM

Just my got my 2009 renewal on my 2008 Honda Rubicon ATV. $10. Damn these high prices! HAHAHA

Old 12-08-2008, 02:18 PM

Oh Man now your rubbing it in.

How else do you think California pays for all these social programs.

Were outta here as soon as possible.
I don't even care what our house sells for as long a somebody else buys it

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Oh Man now your rubbing it in.

How else do you think California pays for all these social programs.

Were outta here as soon as possible.
I don't even care what our house sells for as long a somebody else buys it
Just put a big ol' red bow on the house, a sign out front that says it's a raffle for $1,000 a ticket and I bet you'll get more money that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho