Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM

19 posts, read 44,559 times

Advertisements

Currently, I am overseas with the military but will be getting out early next year. I am considering moving out West. I am extremely right wing...very traditional....self-reliant...God-fearing.

Born and raised in Michigan, that State has too many laws and doesn't promise to relax them any time soon. So, while some threads have danced around this to one extent or another, I'm very curious where you "native" Idahoans see Idaho going in the next decade or so politically.

Particular issues of importance include guns, taxes, general interference with free living, political demographic shifts, etc. I know this is a bit open-ended; and while any place I might go will have aspects I don't like and at some point we all face change and have to fight for our way of life, I'm young, want some time to get established, and Idaho has been very attractive to me for some time. You aren't psychic and this is a stereotypical newbie question, but I'd like to see what those of you "on the ground" think.

There is a thread on the Californication of Idaho already, so please - while it may be an aspect of your post - don't focus solely on that. Thank you folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:41 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,631 times
Quote:
Currently, I am overseas with the military but will be getting out early next year. I am considering moving out West. I am extremely right wing...very traditional....self-reliant...God-fearing.

Born and raised in Michigan, that State has too many laws and doesn't promise to relax them any time soon. So, while some threads have danced around this to one extent or another, I'm very curious where you "native" Idahoans see Idaho going in the next decade or so politically.

Particular issues of importance include guns, taxes, general interference with free living, political demographic shifts, etc. I know this is a bit open-ended; and while any place I might go will have aspects I don't like and at some point we all face change and have to fight for our way of life, I'm young, want some time to get established, and Idaho has been very attractive to me for some time. You aren't psychic and this is a stereotypical newbie question, but I'd like to see what those of you "on the ground" think.

There is a thread on the Californication of Idaho already, so please - while it may be an aspect of your post - don't focus solely on that. Thank you folks.
Hello martialcanine45,

Generally, Idahoans have been conservative from the beginnings. In recent times, we have seen liberal-thinking folks moving into the state. We can't change that. In fact, we usually welcome these "outsiders". That is our nature. Idahoans - particularly those living in smaller communities and rural areas of the state - are friendly and helpful neighbors, maybe even more than anxious to show off our surroundings and lifestyle to the newcomers.

The Californication factor (whether the relocator is from California or some other state) is overblown, in my view. There are a handful of us who don't want others to move to Idaho, but it is merely a handful. As I have said, the majority of us are happy to share our good fortune.

Thinking about guns, taxes, free living, etc., can be a part of the change that sometimes comes with the influx of newcomers. The State Government and most Idahoans have done a fair job keeping the liberal-thinking interlopers from gaining an upper hand with these issues. I do have a concern with a liberal Federal Government forcing unwanted elements of change on the people, however. I fear the economic crisis in our country has opened doors previously exclusive to the states.

Idahoans are more than conservative. We are also optimistic, so we will likely fight for very little change in the lifestyle we treasure.

If you decide to join our ranks, be assured that you are welcome.

(pimit2) Bob

Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I lived in Coeur d'Alene for a year in the mid 90s; I'm not sure about what has changed there in the past decade, but the Idaho I lived in was a place you'd be happy. Idahoans tend to be conservative, but more importantly, they place a lot of emphasis on self reliance and the pioneer spirit. I ran into a lot of people who had built their own homes, or who had installed their own electrical wiring and plumbing. Home schooling is big up there, as well as hunting and people are always looking for ways to be independent. I currently live in the South, and down here conservatives tend to be more of the in-your-business types. In the Inland NW, and out West in general, they're more libertarian on social and economic issues. I can't think of any place that would be more accomodating to you politically on the issues you've mentioned than Idaho or perhaps Montanna. If you can find work there, I think you'd be happy.

Good luck on your transition to civilian life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martialcanine45 View Post

Old 12-08-2008, 12:22 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
Idaho could be a good fit for you... I would also say that idaho is more libertarian.. live and let live.. rather than down an extreme right wing stance. You can be as liberal as you want, and trust me, I'm one of them, and most people around here in boise are pretty open to it, and if they don't agree, they are civil about it. Idaho is not one of the places where the culture war is in your face and out of control. With that said, not everyone in idaho is conservative or right wing. If liberals annoy you.. even to where you don't want them as neighbors, the only places you need to avoid are sun valley, boise, and moscow. The rest of the state you will find yourself part of the majority if that's important to ya.
Good luck, and thanks for serving the country...

Old 12-09-2008, 05:58 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Hi,

I agree with Bob and offer some honest follow-up responses. These are my opinions alone.

Currently, I am overseas with the military but will be getting out early next year.
>> I salute you with all my heart.

I am considering moving out West. I am extremely right wing...very traditional....self-reliant...God-fearing.
>> I call myself a transcendental humanist meaning I believe in reason and find my spirituality through humanity and ecology.
>> I am married with three children.
>> I am a wannabe entrepreneur looking for more time to achieve my breakthrough.
>> I think there is ample room for overlap...
>> I fear myself and my own frailties which are too numerous to count and far too frequent to allow me rest.
>> I am a globalist...in the sense that I live on this planet and am forced to deal with the ramifications of activities in countries other than our own. And guess what, there are some great places on this planet...Yes, that means I want it all (and why not?)

I'm very curious where you "native" Idahoans see Idaho going in the next decade or so politically.
>> I think the state is red with increasingly more blue in the mix. Rather than red vs. blue, I think we offer a third color: purple, one very much in line with older conceptions of freedom.
>> I think we are already ahead of our time in that Idahoan views on liberty and freedom are purple and will get even more purple...
>> Also the definition of a red state has shifted dramatically in the past 40 years...such that speeches of JFK would be considered moderately conservative!

Particular issues of importance include guns, taxes, general interference with free living, political demographic shifts, etc.
>> Guns: Most likely there will be some changes in our understanding as lands get gobbled up by developers and the population expands into rural areas. But...I don;t foresee changes to local or state laws on guns...
>> However, I am not really up-to-date on debates nor technologies...but I like hunting and respect the hunter.
>> As for guns for protection--gosh, a tough one. The right should be without question, but even in the Old West there were rules and quite frankly, not everyone should be a gun owner...but I have yet to hear of a sensible alternative...

>> Taxes: I posted my views on this a couple of weeks ago. Not many takers. LOL! Probably reflects our overall dislike for the topic! Unfortunately, a necessary evil of sorts. I want them as low as is necessary to create a more dynamic and healthier economy

>> Free living? I am with you. However, it is the nature of man that free + free = rules of engagement. With more people, more rules. This is not so much a change in Idaho but a function of growing population, urbanization, & economic changes-->some forces controllable and some not. That said, I think in general people here will give up their freedoms at a far slower pace than in other states.

I know this is a bit open-ended; and while any place I might go will have aspects I don't like and at some point we all face change and have to fight for our way of life,
>> I was once young, too. I would rather that once you get stateside, you channel that "fight" into "commitment to promoting the robust well-being of community"

>> Why? I like the quiet movements...letters and long interviews over text messages and sound bytes. Real change in life means dedication and service, things you already have in your blood. Although of course you gotta do what you gotta do...provided you accept the consequences.

>> I am a reader of the Constitution and of the men and circumstances that led to the formation of this country. Even then there were great divisions and schisms. However, I am inspired by the early days and leading up to the first administration under George Washington. To me, those years provide inspiration and represent "our way of life" better than anything I see in mass media today (although I am partial to the 1970s)

>> I am trying to move away from being negative...so I'll say this: I love this place and our people and our way of life. While I cannot freeze moments in time, I am optimistic that we will retain our core sense of purpose and lifestyle as the world around us changes...

Idaho has been very attractive to me for some time.
>> Good deal.
>> the only caveat to mention is that like Vermont is to New Yorkers, Idaho is to other folks looking to recapture their "Missing Piece." NID is one such place. But sometimes the zeal of the newcomer is far more intense than that of the local, which presents the odd situation of newbies being more Idahoan than Idahoans! The remedy is easy: listen and watch and ease yourself in...
>> Our sense of freedom is very different than that of other states...Here it is do your job. Take care of your own. Respect the freedom and privacy of others. But...be a good citizen rather than a bad one...

>> Just one opinion and one coming from a tired guy in need of a vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho