Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:29 AM

16 posts, read 49,381 times

Advertisements

a quick note after looking at all the posts here,,why are californians headed your way ? I have lived my whole life here in suburban (orange county) so calif and it was a nice place to live kids played till dusk with no worries or problems. there are still (sort of)nice communities like that a 3 bedroom 2 bath house 1200 sqft on a 6000sq ft lot will cost $600k -up to a million! ,, if you have a job that you can afford that great i think it is about 12% of the population i read someplace.
the mexican invasion is real , it has turned many places into 3rd world countries ,,if you have ever been to tijauna you can have a visual ,,many illegal people here are living 20-30 people in one rented house ,I Have a friend who is a elementary school principal ,,he states that each year the number of "english learners" go up! and the test scores go down ,, this causes the state to lock up funding ..

we have decided Pocatello is for us there is an active Lutheran church there
i bring my own small manufacturing business with me so im not looking for a job (there does not seem to be too many.)

i think for the most part you will find families with children and retirees headed your way ,,believe me i am not bringing some sort of cal attitude with me if i liked that i would not be leaving! , I look foreward to becomming your friend and neighbor and have a nice place to have my sons grow up in an american city ,like i had in the (70s)

Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Some Idahoans (natives and newbies) get upset with those from CA because they want to move here to get away from things there and then in turn want to turn it into another CA with laws and other various ways. (not saying all that move want to change thing, but enough seem to want to)

With the added folks moving this way, the crime does build. No matter where you go, in the summer time you get kids who are bored and they knock down mailboxes and run through fences and get into other trouble.

I'm not thinking many retirees head up this way, we do get snow, ice and freezing rain so most leave the area for AZ, S. CAL or NV

Old 06-15-2006, 07:43 AM

Default GregC

they are headed your way ,,se idaho offers the most affordable housing in the western half of this country,,, but of course when it all comes down to it the lack of jobs will keep relocation in balance

Old 06-15-2006, 07:46 AM

Default GregC

oh ps it is just the opposite ,,, i dont want to change things ,,i envy what you have there and i want to embrace it!

Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 AM

246 posts, read 329,100 times
Default Newcomers always an impact...no matter the stripe

As a born-and-bred Idahoan who had to move on, I feel compelled to put 2c toward the newcomer discussion.

Frankly, the way I see it, Idaho's biggest problem is it's great outdoors. It seems every second person I talk to wants to live in Idaho to enjoy the scenery, fishing, camping, etc.. But what these people don't realize is that for every newcomer, there's another mile of road, three more cars, 10000 sq. ft. of pavement and the associated accumulation waste that comes with the suburban lifestyle.

I can speak with authority because I've seen the place change, and not for the better. So a note to all of you thinking of moving if you want the Great Idaho Outdoors, better look now 'cause in 10 years it'll all look like Jersey.

Magpies

Old 06-19-2006, 07:02 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies
As a born-and-bred Idahoan who had to move on, I feel compelled to put 2c toward the newcomer discussion.

Frankly, the way I see it, Idaho's biggest problem is it's great outdoors. It seems every second person I talk to wants to live in Idaho to enjoy the scenery, fishing, camping, etc.. But what these people don't realize is that for every newcomer, there's another mile of road, three more cars, 10000 sq. ft. of pavement and the associated accumulation waste that comes with the suburban lifestyle.

I can speak with authority because I've seen the place change, and not for the better. So a note to all of you thinking of moving if you want the Great Idaho Outdoors, better look now 'cause in 10 years it'll all look like Jersey.

Magpies
I also agree with the above and I to am an ex idaho person. also I found out the hard way Idhao is not family friendly as there to worried about how they look to out siders. fact so much they even forget what there own laws say. that is bad no matter how you look at it . also Idaho is not a good place to live if you become disabled and that is one more reson I am an ex idahoan

Old 06-24-2006, 12:16 PM

41 posts, read 199,131 times
You will love Pocatello. Unlike Boise, it still is friendly and affordable.
And, compared to southern Cal, the traffic is light. It's the kind of city where you can let your kids play outside safely.
I have never noticed any antagonism there towards Californians or anyone else. With the University there, they get a mix of a lot of different people from all over the country and the world.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaina
You will love Pocatello. Unlike Boise, it still is friendly and affordable.
And, compared to southern Cal, the traffic is light. It's the kind of city where you can let your kids play outside safely.
I have never noticed any antagonism there towards Californians or anyone else. With the University there, they get a mix of a lot of different people from all over the country and the world.
That’s what I heard about Boise to before I moved there and found out deferent. When a woman driving a car (my wife) gets spit on only because she has calif plates. Now that to me is flat out unfriendly and decimator no matter how you say it, try to cover it up, nothing will, and it dose not matter it happened, and that is it our welcome to Idaho now go home attitude !
Boise is collage towns also with the most newbie’s in Idaho from were ever to boot!
Dose Idaho corrupt most that come there with the “I got mine you stay the heck out thought presses”

Old 06-24-2006, 08:15 PM

47 posts, read 202,660 times
Huntman58 sure seems to have "been" from alot of places. You've posted on Missouri, KC, San Fransico and also Idaho. I will go way out on a limb here and just let everyone know that huntman58's experience is abnormal for Idaho. As a life long Idaho resident who has traveled extensivly all over and have met and lived with many people, Idahoan's are by far the most friendly open, accepting people that you will find. I think in this case, I would have to say that huntman58 experienced exactly the type of attitude that he expected to find. Same goes with everone else. You will find in Idaho the exact type of lifestyle and relationships that you expect...

Old 06-24-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanN
Huntman58 sure seems to have "been" from alot of places. You've posted on Missouri, KC, San Fransico and also Idaho. I will go way out on a limb here and just let everyone know that huntman58's experience is abnormal for Idaho. As a life long Idaho resident who has traveled extensivly all over and have met and lived with many people, Idahoan's are by far the most friendly open, accepting people that you will find. I think in this case, I would have to say that huntman58 experienced exactly the type of attitude that he expected to find. Same goes with everone else. You will find in Idaho the exact type of lifestyle and relationships that you expect...
gee glad to see you can cut and post if you want so will I

your right I have been around fact every state but Alaska and Hawaii west of the Mississippi river and a few east of that . I have live in calif, North Dakota (Place of birth by the way) and Idaho. spent summers in Missouri and or Wisconsin what I went threw in Idaho is more normal then it should be ,and even if it was abnormal it should have never happened If I went threw it any one can simple as that . Attitude of what I thought I would find was not what I found! Fact I thought it was the best place to move! Only I did not do the research I have now! Nor have I been any were that my car, or my wife’s car was spat on, or we were told to go home! Nope Idaho holds that honor all to its self. Same thing with not answering letters nope again Idaho politicians hold that honor. What I did learn is in Idaho there is a case of close my eyes and it is not true and if it is it will go away. I also know that Idaho has lost its hold on the best place to live no mater how you look at it. Do a Google it dose not even show up almost at all. Wonder why if it still is so great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho