Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,723 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me why the numbers are so high in many areas of Idaho for Sex Offenders. I got my information from Family Watchdog so I feel that is accurate. Does Idaho just keep better track of them or is there a reason so many choose to live there. There are a lot that have moved into the area just to clarify, they do not necessarily originate in Idaho. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 PM

10 posts, read 141,650 times
Default Lacey, Wa

I don't know about Idaho, but in the town I currently live in we have about 50within a few miles. I would suggests putting in names of other mid sized towns throughout the country and see in comparison if Idaho is really that bad. Good Luck

Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Please remember that SENTENCING GUIDELINES have an enormous impact on not only the number of crimes and the way they're reported but also has a HUGE skewing of registered sex offenders.

For example, when I was a cop in Los Angeles, it was common for a pretty serious sexual assault to be pled down to a misdemeanor sexual battery (not enough to qualify for registration). In Bonner County where we are, there was a recent court case where a volunteer fire fighter from Priest River threatened to beat up a 16 year old girl if she wouldn't have sex with him.
http://www.bonnercountydailybee.com/...ews/news02.txt

In Los Angeles, this either wouldn't have gone anywhere, or would have been pled down. But in Idaho, they guy gets 8 YEARS, and that's even when it was pled down to felony sexual battery. So not only will he do more time, but it appears that the area has more sexual assaults.

So one thing I'm learning in Idaho is that "we take crime seriously" which means that statistics can be skewed. I'm NOT saying that there aren't problems, but so far from hearing the buzz around town and reading the news, it seems like just about nothing goes unreported where when I was a cop, most of the stuff DIDN'T get reported to the police....and it really shows in statistical reporting....

Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM

91 posts, read 483,958 times
Many states only list 2nd or third level offenders, idaho is a state that lists all offenders. http://www.klaaskids.org/pg-legmeg.htm this site has more updated and accurate numbers than family watchdog.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM

9 posts, read 39,020 times
Ok, I'm feeling a lot better about moving to IF or Poc. now lol. I changed my mind about it last year because I have two small children and the number of sex offenders was shocking. Now I have another opportunity to move to these areas so just HAD to google 'Why does Idaho have so many sex offenders?' LOL. Thanks for answer the OP question. This helps me out a lot and makes me.
I've read that Idaho has a very low crime rate so these sex offenders were a bit confusing. I like that ID has a low tolerance for crime though. It's going to make me feel safer!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Sage is correct. We prosecute more heavily all over Idaho than in some other states, so victims are less reluctant to report the crimes.

I honestly don't think Idaho has any higher a percentage of these crimes than other states, but, as Sage also mentioned, because we are lightly populated, the crimes do get more media attention. Our small population has a deeper effect on the other side, as offenders are more recognized once they are back out on the street. Because of this, if one is busted for a DUI or some other offense, as often as not, his past is mentioned in a news report.

Violent and sex crimes in I.F. and Pocatello are still pretty rare. Property crimes are more common by far. Both towns are very peaceful and always have been, and I've lived in I.F. for most of my 68 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: