Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times

Advertisements

Jennerbear,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerbear View Post
liberal. Is this true? Not for us if so. I will hug no tree and hope to inherit my mom in laws fur coat.
I am not sure what to make of this. You might want to think a bit about such a stance. I know no one who is not very protective our environment. It is our lifeblood in more ways than one. This goes for trees, streams, lakes, and wildlife. Though I have not hugged per se, I basked in their glory each and every day. I will safeguard their integrity and protect their purity as best as I can. I don't know a single person who does not feel the same.

Now, that said, we cultivate our trees. We fish in our streams and lakes. We enjoy our boating, kayaking, sailing, and cruising. We mine. We hunt. We fully acknowledge that to protect land and its fruits we must one must cultivate and live with nature, and not treat it as either an ornament or something to ravage and spoil.

Here I will speak my mind. We are not Berkeley, but neither are we parts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey or West Virginia, where environmental exploitation has literally and scientifically spoiled the land and sentenced the local populations & economies to slow deaths. I am overjoyed to see that Revett Minerals has not been able to get the Rock Creek mine underway. Why on earth would I want to see a foreign company with a history of environmental destruction (and not paying for it) be permitted to mine into National wildnerness and pour toxic waste to flow down the Clark Fork into Lake Pend Orielle?

I don't want to see our great lake become the toxic clean-up challenge that Lake CDA was/has been. Note that I am not all against the idea of mining nor logging. These high paying jobs are important to the livelihood of many. And there is the cultural heritage of the region to consider.

However, the economics of dogma must take a back seat to the economics of sensibility and logic. Too many now depend on the lake to allow it to be hijacked by a debate by those who are at present irrelevant to our economy and outside politicians & median types, Revett included.

Idaho as a place where logic prevails, as well as freedom and responsibility for that freedom. These principles are more likely to govern than the left vs. right garbage that pollutes public discourse on all things environmental.

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 02:41 PM

38 posts, read 78,951 times
I think I gave you the wrong idea - I LOVE the land - but think hunting is fine and wouldn't throw paint on someone's fur coat. Does that make sense? I don't think animal life is more important than human - BUT I love animals. I'm just talking about not going OVERBOARD on the environment. If I want to cut down a tree on my own property I should be able to. Hope that clears up the point I was trying to get across.

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2009, 04:23 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Jennerbear,

I am not sure what to make of this. You might want to think a bit about such a stance. I know no one who is not very protective our environment. It is our lifeblood in more ways than one. This goes for trees, streams, lakes, and wildlife. Though I have not hugged per se, I basked in their glory each and every day. I will safeguard their integrity and protect their purity as best as I can. I don't know a single person who does not feel the same.

Now, that said, we cultivate our trees. We fish in our streams and lakes. We enjoy our boating, kayaking, sailing, and cruising. We mine. We hunt. We fully acknowledge that to protect land and its fruits we must one must cultivate and live with nature, and not treat it as either an ornament or something to ravage and spoil.

Here I will speak my mind. We are not Berkeley, but neither are we parts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey or West Virginia, where environmental exploitation has literally and scientifically spoiled the land and sentenced the local populations & economies to slow deaths. I am overjoyed to see that Revett Minerals has not been able to get the Rock Creek mine underway. Why on earth would I want to see a foreign company with a history of environmental destruction (and not paying for it) be permitted to mine into National wildnerness and pour toxic waste to flow down the Clark Fork into Lake Pend Orielle?

I don't want to see our great lake become the toxic clean-up challenge that Lake CDA was/has been. Note that I am not all against the idea of mining nor logging. These high paying jobs are important to the livelihood of many. And there is the cultural heritage of the region to consider.

However, the economics of dogma must take a back seat to the economics of sensibility and logic. Too many now depend on the lake to allow it to be hijacked by a debate by those who are at present irrelevant to our economy and outside politicians & median types, Revett included.

Idaho as a place where logic prevails, as well as freedom and responsibility for that freedom. These principles are more likely to govern than the left vs. right garbage that pollutes public discourse on all things environmental.

S.
Sandpointian,
This is one of the many reasons I want to be part of the Idaho experience: sensible, reasonable people like you. You mean the Rock Creek Mine plans have been put on hold? Woohoo! Last I heard they were going ahead...that was last summer. I'll read up on it...that was the one thing that made me cautious about buying land close to the Clark Fork.
Jennerbear,
I hear you--I think we're all talking about trying to avoid extremism. I plan on hugging our own trees once in a while, but not our neighbors'...

Old 02-28-2009, 04:49 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerbear View Post
I think I gave you the wrong idea - I LOVE the land - but think hunting is fine and wouldn't throw paint on someone's fur coat. Does that make sense? I don't think animal life is more important than human - BUT I love animals. I'm just talking about not going OVERBOARD on the environment. If I want to cut down a tree on my own property I should be able to. Hope that clears up the point I was trying to get across.

Thanks!
Jennerbear,

I think I understand what you meant, but Sandpointian makes a relevant point. For example, we cleared some of our land to make room for us to build a house and playing area and reasonable fire break, but then we also are setting aside 8/10 of our land as a forestry preserve where we will maintain a healthy forest.

So I feel I have the right to cut down any tree here I want (there are thousands on my property), but I try to keep as MANY as possible because I love the forest and what it means to our region, I love walking in the forest, I love waking up in the morning and seeing it covered in snow, I love how it filters the sunlight in the afternoons, etc.

But I don't feel guilty about felling a Tamarack which is blocking my satellite signal once I had located the dish in the best spot to AVOID having to cut down any trees. And in fact, this year we planted about a dozen mature fruit trees so our net is "+11" for the year, if you know what I mean.

Not that Sandpointian doesn't get your drift (he's very keen), but having left the "people's republic of california" I can personally relate.

What you heard about CDA is not correct. While they may have more laws in the city limits than in the unincorporated county area, so does Sandpoint versus UI Bonner County. Gun grabbing? No way. People in CDA seem to be every bit as pro-2nd Amendment as the rest of us here. An AWFUL lot of hunting/fishing/archery going on there. Liberal in voting? Hmmmm. it may be LESS red state than some surrounding areas, but so is Sandpoint compared to Sagle. The cities tend to attract people slightly less libertarian and slightly more development-minded at times. But I do not think of CDA as a liberal town. Here in Idaho, "slightly less conservative than hardcore red state and more libertarian and socially tolerant" can often be mis-characterized as "liberal".

Old 02-28-2009, 06:29 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
JBear,
Your response speaks volumes. Positive vibes.

It was nothing personal, but one must be unequivocal given the number of folks so angry (and often rightfully so) with modern life in other states. It is just that Idaho becomes a place to use as part of a constructed defiance rather than a place to absorb into. My US model, as always, is Vermont, where New Yorkers go to create their vision of what Vermont should be. I think you get the picture.

Given our natural beauty, location, size, and demographics, we are a target for such remakes from one end of the spectrum to the other. But most of us here are pretty low key. It is easy to humbled by mother nature up here. Nice to be put in our place while enjoying it.

Welcome,
S

Old 03-01-2009, 12:58 AM

Right back atchya

Jenn

Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 AM

50 posts, read 158,740 times
Default Sandpoint Idaho

Sandpoint Idaho, You would LOVE it. It's beautiful there, lots of hunting, fishing, skiing, boating. Lots of people homeschool. My son and daughter in law live there. He is making and selling a tree step installer (on e-bay mccray_123) and doing very well. He is also a carpenter and works fulltime. His wife works at the gym there. Lots of young families. Very, very beautiful anytime of year.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 PM

My mom and I were just speaking about Sandpoint. She traveled through Idaho with her cousin. She said we have a relative that owns a store in Sandpoint - Vanderfords or something. Anyway - she said Sandpoint was amazing and she spent the 4th of July there. Funny, huh? Doing some serious investigation on Sandpoint.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
http://www.vanderfords.com

Nice store. Good people. Went to a chain store in CDA to order something, they said 2-3 weeks. Went to Vanderfords and I had it in 48 hours. You'd think they'd all use the same suppliers...maybe the people at V'fords just tried harder...

Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Default Among the Top 100

For all you present and future Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene residents/visitors: Check out this little article from The Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/680555.html - broken link) 2/26:
Quote:
Ketchum, Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene are highlighted as top vacation spots in a new book, "The Great Towns of America: All New Guide to the 100 Best Getaways for a Vacation or a Lifetime," by David and Joan Vokac...
It is written with urban escapists and avid travelers in mind. It features descriptions of each town, tips on where to eat and stay, and if you're planning a move, it breaks down relocation services.
The online comments reveal mixed feelings about being in the national spotlight, again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho