Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 PM

446 posts, read 709,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txranger19 View Post
I also want to add that here in Texas, legal and illegal Mexican immigrants come here and turn Texas into what they were comfortable with in Mexico. There used to be a flee market that my dad and I would sell baseball cards at in the early 90's. Just folks walking around and buying and selling stuff at a flee market. I visited that same place 6 years ago and got "whoa what are you doing here" looks and no one spoke english and a tejano band was playing?? I am subject to being called names like "whero" and some other name i cant spell. Honeslty, I dont want my children to grow up experiencing bigotry and discrimination, and I damn sure do not want them having to learn spanish to get a job unless its in a spanish speaking country, or they choose to do so. Racism is a problem in Texas and I am sure California and New Mexico, but its mostly white folks that I see get called names and so on.
I long for a place to live that people are just people and we all co inhabit the space happily. But I also want that place to preserve the passed 100 or so years of the AMERICAN values that I grew up learning about and loving. I am not real interested on another countries culture becoming prominent in my country.
Sorry to break it to you, but you're out of luck, Pal.

Texas is the new Mexico. We have given our country away.

Read 'America Alone' by Mark Steyn for a look at the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Let's bring the topic back to Idaho, not Texas...

Old 12-15-2012, 06:23 AM

78 posts, read 194,425 times
Your right Sage. I was stating all of that because I plan to become a life long Idahoan. I will make bumper stickers that say.
"I was not born in Idaho but I got here as fast as I could". lol. I am actually looking at working for Robideaux GM as a technician. Jerry the service manager was super great by phone. Planning to visit in January for interview.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 PM

181 posts, read 435,699 times
I'd like to point out that most Cubans are Republicans and that the KKK was created and run by Democrats so can we stop with the one party is racist thing it's historically false.....as for anyone of any race opening a restaurant, why not?

I don't care what you look like as long as you appreciate where you are, who your patrons are and respect the local traditions. Id kill for a good Chimichanga or a nice big burrito with Cuban style rice. Most folks here won't care what you look like as long as you speak or even attempt to speak English, fly an American flag, make good food and finally treat them like friends, this is a small town and people like to be recognized as fellow townies.

The only thing that will get any restaurant around here a bad rep fast is allowing riff raff to hang out in your place, avoid that and your set. Avoid stereotypes, be friendly and make great food at a good price....your set.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 AM

DT, remember that the original post was from 3.5 years ago...just FYI...

Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 AM

181 posts, read 435,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
DT, remember that the original post was from 3.5 years ago...just FYI...

Yea but I gotta get in my 10 cents....I feel left out otherwise. As an aside did the OP come here and open his restaurant?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 AM

The OP's last post was over 2.5 years ago....so I don't know...

Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM

78 posts, read 194,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tirebiter View Post
What happened to the original subject of this thread? My take on it after reading all of the comments is that most of the more tolerant comments are from people who actually escaped some intolerable situations where they lived before, with an emphasis on the racial tensions there. Much of the tension expressed, whether in SoCal, Arizona or elsewhere, had to do with the change in the racial balance of the area.
Could it be that these transplants to Idaho are now living again where they are the majority, so other races can be experienced as more of a novelty, like they were experienced before the mass invasions occurred whether from Mexico, Vietnam, etc?
I ask this question because I believe I'm currently in a similar situation to some of the internal expats from some of the states mentioned. I live in New Mexico now, after living 2 years deep in Mexico. I mention my time (along with my wife) in Mexico because I want it clear up front that we don't have any prejudice toward Mexicans or we wouldn't have moved there or lived there for two years. We were not typical American expats there, in that we didn't live in an American enclave, but instead lived in an area of the city that was populated by Mexicans and we didn't socialize with many expats because virtually everyone we met there were drunks. Anyway we spent most of our time among Mexicans and found them, other than a small number of the younger men, to be very polite, with very little of the 'LaRaza' attitude. We were warned by some local Mexicans to stay out of the south side of town, but did take a drive down that way to explore the area and did definitely get the 'LaRaza' look from some of the locals there. The primary uncomfortable reaction we had was from the obvious attitude that we were rich (far from it, that's one of the reasons we moved down there) and so in the commercial areas there was always someone trying to get us to by something. I know, I know this is the case all over the world in third world countries. We also spent several months in India and in some cities would get surrounded by people with their hands out, even getting attacked at times with plunging hands.
Anyway, we've been back in New Mexico for just over a year, having lived here 15 years ago and even though there was clearly tension and a predominant geographic racial distribution here then (50% of the population Hispanic), the tension and racial divide has increased since we were living here 15 years ago. As another poster mentioned also, we've noticed more and more that when we go into any business in town now, almost everyone is speaking Spanish, including Spanish over the PA in Home Depot. This wasn't the case when we lived here before. We've also noticed that clerks in many of the stores are visibly irritated when they have to speak English.
Yes, I know it's 'New' Mexico, but this is the kind of thing that inspires one to move somewhere where they can blend in more, without feeling wrong for speaking the native tongue.
Here is my ten cents as well. The problem stated above is one of the many reasons I want to get my family out of Texas. I have been called name such "woleeo" and "whero" sorry dont know the spanish spellings. But they are derogatory terms for a white guy. At the rate Texas is being invaded, and my own concessions that Texas is rightfully a Mexican state, I choose to move north and remove my family from the racial tensions that are evident here. Like I said in another post. I am really not interested in blending in with cultures different that mine. I don't care to learn about them, or learn the language, or be passed over for a job because I can't speak a FOREIGN language. If I wanted that I would move to China.
George Lopez said at the end of one of his comedy skits. Not a quote, but from recollection " Don't worry some day a latino will be president and we treat you as you have treated us" . Well I hope so. I hope i can divorce my wife and she can get on welfare and I will have a job that pays for nice stuff while her welfare gets us medical, housing, and food, and let them pay for my lifestyle.
And don't forget how much American money gets western union-ed to foreign countries. And we wonder why we have a humungus national debt.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txranger19 View Post
Here is my ten cents as well. The problem stated above is one of the many reasons I want to get my family out of Texas. I have been called name such "woleeo" and "whero" sorry dont know the spanish spellings. But they are derogatory terms for a white guy. At the rate Texas is being invaded, and my own concessions that Texas is rightfully a Mexican state, I choose to move north and remove my family from the racial tensions that are evident here. Like I said in another post. I am really not interested in blending in with cultures different that mine. I don't care to learn about them, or learn the language, or be passed over for a job because I can't speak a FOREIGN language. If I wanted that I would move to China.
George Lopez said at the end of one of his comedy skits. Not a quote, but from recollection " Don't worry some day a latino will be president and we treat you as you have treated us" . Well I hope so. I hope i can divorce my wife and she can get on welfare and I will have a job that pays for nice stuff while her welfare gets us medical, housing, and food, and let them pay for my lifestyle.
And don't forget how much American money gets western union-ed to foreign countries. And we wonder why we have a humungus national debt.
I think you're in that stage where you're bitter and in serious need of some decompression time. Seriously. A lot of people have been there. And I'm not saying your feelings are without merit. I've been there.

Because the Mexican culture does have a true richness and beauty to it that (as shared in George Tirebiter's post) can still be found in areas of mainland Mexico...but it's all-too-absent from areas INSIDE the US borders that have become heavily reconquista'd (I'm sure that's bad "spanglish", but you get the drift). Once you're in Idaho for a while, and the "baja-north" culture (which bears NO resemblance to any rich Mexican culture) is no longer driving you crazy 24/7, you'll find that you'll be able to again find an appreciation for the language and culture....

But again...after some decompression time...right now you're just too close to all the worst parts of it...

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 12-24-2012 at 01:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho