Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:16 PM

57 posts, read 175,437 times

Advertisements

Sage, I understand your point and agree with it, but also living near San Diego and hoping to leave it I understand Rogdog's frustrations as well as the manner in which he phrased his remarks. Sadly racism has become a real issue here and many Hispanics are openly hostile now. Mind you, that is not to say that many whites aren't as well. It's unfortunate that we all don't seem to be able to co-exist peacefully together. Frankly, with what is going on in Arizona the situation has grown so much worse here. I was purposely shoved into a rack of clothing at a Ross store after asking politely to get by a Hispanic woman and her children who were blocking the aisle. And no, it does not color my opinion of all Hispanics but it is indicative of the open divisiveness in So. Ca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 01:16 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkie99 View Post
Sage, I understand your point and agree with it, but also living near San Diego and hoping to leave it I understand Rogdog's frustrations as well as the manner in which he phrased his remarks. Sadly racism has become a real issue here and many Hispanics are openly hostile now. Mind you, that is not to say that many whites aren't as well. It's unfortunate that we all don't seem to be able to co-exist peacefully together. Frankly, with what is going on in Arizona the situation has grown so much worse here. I was purposely shoved into a rack of clothing at a Ross store after asking politely to get by a Hispanic woman and her children who were blocking the aisle. And no, it does not color my opinion of all Hispanics but it is indicative of the open divisiveness in So. Ca.
I don't take umbrage with Rogdog's frustrations. It was the fact that it seemed to all be focused on the OP who seems to ME to be the sort of person who just wants to live-and-let-live which is the way it is here in North Idaho.

Trust me when I say that as a gang cop I was QUICKLY losing the battle with my attitude, and while I was "toeing the line" with my behavior, on the inside I was experiencing this growing seething anger and I didn't like that side of myself. One thing I enjoy about North Idaho is that I actually get to ENJOY hearing Spanish spoken again (it is a pretty language).

So I hope that Rogdog understands that while I think he directed his ire at the wrong person in this case, I completely understand the besieged feeling y'all are dealing with there, as I just left 3 years ago after patrolling East LA for so many years.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:54 PM

99 posts, read 317,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Rogdog,

If you look at the OP's text, there is NOTHING in there that implies he's the sort of "La Raza/Reconquista" person you so dislike...but you're sort of tearing his head off anyhow with your rant....
If you take another look at my text, you'll find my explanation for that and that I asked if that were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Now, I understand your feelings and frustrations, and it was VERY good for me to leave SoCal since I openly admit I was losing the war with prejudices living there, and up here nobody cares as long as you're good people.

But I would like to caution you about starting to open-and-serve the can of whoop'*** when I think you're way off base and jumping to assumptions that would make you lose your cool if someone jumped to those assumptions about you...
I posess no such can of stuff nor do I wish to dish it. As I carefully stated; only MY opinion, representing nobody else. I posited two different views of him that I might have if he was or was not that sort of fellow. And for the record, where I live, someone calls me a RACIST nearly every day. I listed some of those situations that I run into all the time. I don't go looking for it, seems like people are lined up waiting for their chance to be offended by just about anything. It's that that I find frustrating.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:55 PM

31 posts, read 102,102 times
Just wanted to point out that this thread originated in Feb of 2009.

Looks like a hot button issue brought out some opinions, and that's fine.

I am VERY curious as to what happened with the restaurant purchase.

I see this all the time, a long exchange about theoretical outcomes and we are left with a thread that takes on a life of it's own, never knowing if the OP moved to such and such a place or not.

In the event someone gets this far into a thread about buying a business in an area they are not familiar with, this type of research (City Data) is a good start.

FWIW my response would have been that some first hand research would be appropriate. I would visit first as a customer and see how it goes. If the owner knows your coming, just come a day or two earlier than they expect you. Get a feel for town and eat a meal or two as a customer (not as a customer asking lots of questions ) Don't forget to try out the competition too.

In the case of CDA, I'd echo Sage and others that the racial makeup isn't a major issue and I would be more concerned about the underlying business issues such as performance, staffing, and community reputation.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 AM

94 posts, read 386,250 times
So.. whatever happened? Did He move and start the restaurant?
I hope so. Sounds like a nice guy that has it together. Any community should welcome
such folks!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 PM

84 posts, read 233,763 times
So many racially based threads...

I'm retiring in 4-5 years, and I'm headed that way, and I'm bringin a "1st gen. hispanic" (my wife's parents grew up in Santiago Durango, Mexico) and three "half hispanic" kids with me (Three Texans and an Okie all told...)

For any minorities considering Idaho as a home, I grew up there, and I have NO problems going up there with a mixed family, becasue I know for a fact they aren't going to have any problems with race.

For anyone who has an issue with me bringin some hispanic folks up there, hope you can afford to move, because I bet I'll find a whole bunch of neighbors willing to help me ride yer *** out of the gem state on a rail

The wife's whole family owns 3 texmex restaurants in Lubbock... If you all don't have one in 4 years, I might have to look into franchising

Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM

286 posts, read 678,035 times
Try Spokane,my friend.College kids and bigger city/market.Good luck my fellow American.
God Bless You

Old 12-10-2010, 01:50 PM

19 posts, read 36,288 times
Some of the friendliest people I've ever met were in Northern Idaho. I'm a Danish man with an African-American wife, and nobody seemed to notice, or even care. They treated my wife and I both like honored guests.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Nice to hear, TallCloud! Come over on our North Idaho Front Porch tread and visit--I just mentioned glögg and said Skål!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:48 AM

12 posts, read 23,297 times
No wonder so many people from CA are moving to northern ID. Didn't realize there seems to be so much racial tension in socal. I grew up in queens, ny and now live in long island. For the most part everyone gets along. Ny'ers for the most part just ignore each other......not saying it makes for the best environment but i guess there are less issues that way when you have people living on top of each other.

I know this is an older thread.... but diversity is a good thing most of the time. As long as the person embraces the US as their new home, takes the time assimilate somewhat, is eager to be productive member of society and can speak english......you would think people would care less what someones skin color or ethnicity is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho