Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:56 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times

Advertisements

Absolutely gotta give it up for Les Schwab. They have gone above-and-beyond on so many occasions for me. SOLID good people at the Les Schwab in Ponderay (my local one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Merwyn's Hardware in Sandpoint!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM

148 posts, read 501,233 times
Sam, wal mart may try to "cheat the system" but as a small business owner I don't blame them. If our government didn't place so many restrictions on business' they may make it better for employees. I don't understand why some people complain so much about big business but roll over when the government sticks it to them. No one forces anyone to work at wal mart or any other business.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander dave View Post
Sam, wal mart may try to "cheat the system" but as a small business owner I don't blame them. If our government didn't place so many restrictions on business' they may make it better for employees. I don't understand why some people complain so much about big business but roll over when the government sticks it to them. No one forces anyone to work at wal mart or any other business.
When Walmart's the only gig in town hiring, it sure does force someone to work there.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 PM

39,867 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Absolutely gotta give it up for Les Schwab. They have gone above-and-beyond on so many occasions for me. SOLID good people at the Les Schwab in Ponderay (my local one).
I agree, they have bailed me out a couple of times and have always been friendly and service oriented. They're prices aren't always the best though. I try to support them anyway, a little higher price in return for good service is fair.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:43 AM

27 posts, read 75,207 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. All very interesting, but we got a little off topic. Dont get me wrong, I do my share of Walmart shopping. What I wanted to know, however, was if there was any kind of a protest regarding the Walmart going in. Or did folks in Sandpoint welcome it with arms wide open? I guess Im trying to gauge how well any kind of protest might work for us here. Thanks! p.s. Is there a Winco near Sandpoint? Cool!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM

804 posts, read 2,891,639 times
I like having the Wal Mart there in Post Falls and where ever Wal Mart wants to build people are going to complain and say it will ruin a area and from what I have seen this is not true. I have friends who think Wal Mart is "slumming it" if you shop there but we did most of our grocery shopping there and saved a lot of money. We only bought meat there once though because it was bad meat and we highly prefer to get that from a local store. All in all I would say Wal Mart is a good thing in the area.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:50 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
I would like to see an All American Walmart. Sears used to be this. Profit of upper management, some fixed % of profits. Transparency. Products from all over the US.

Walmart is everything wrong about modern America.

US side: obscene profits, hoardes of minimum wage workers (or some small % above minimum wage), driving out local businesses, outsourcing of manufacturing with relatively strong dollar.

Chinese side: all the manufacturing jobs, building middle class from outsourced jobs and weak exchange rate.

But until we all (local businesses and shoppers) move to establish an alternative, they will thrive and we will shop there...albeit begrudgingly.

In the meantime, I suggest buying in bulk over the internet.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:06 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,193 times
I don't like any big box stores, but I respect business and if there is a business niche for a WalMart, let them succeed or fail in the area. If people shop there then there is a business to be had. I don't shop at big box stores unless I have no other choice, but I am not against a big box store from opening in the area. Business is business as they say. I believe people should have the freedom to choose...some like the WalMart experience, some don't...I don't, but I will not deny others the freedom of making that choice.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Absolutely...freedom of choice...freedom to set up alternative...freedom of choice to consider shifting purchases...

Prohibition would be the wrong move!

Information...

Celebration of a superior model, instead of defensive protectionism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho