Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 AM

27 posts, read 75,239 times

Advertisements

I have traveled to Northern Idaho 3 times in the last year. Absolutely love it! The people, the small town frendliness, the GREEN. OMG, the green. Anyway, I live in the Mojave desert, also in a small town, and love the small town feel. Lots of mom&pop shops, etc. Long story short, they are planning to build a Walmart right across from our local high school, in a very nice rural area here and people are up in arms. We just dont want it (we already have 4 Walmarts within 5-20 miles!!!), and are fighting it. Im afraid that no matter how much we fight, it will go in anyways and ruin our rural hometown atmosphere.

While I was in Sandpoint (I believe) I remember seeing a Walmart there and was surprised. Im wondering, did people in Sandpoint WANT a Walmart? Did anyone fight it?

Last edited by sfrancis; 03-16-2009 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: want bold headline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Sandpoint's Wal-Mart is always busy. They offer 24 hour convenience (most of the local stores are 9:00-5:00 sort of deals), a wide variety of products and of course competative prices. They also offer pay and benefits that are comparable or better than many other retailers in the area (my wife worked there for a while). On the other hand, checkout lines are very slow and associates in the store seem to know nothing about the products.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
I hate Wal-Mart and everything it stands for. I love that bumper sticker that says something about "cheap chinese crap".

However, I have a tough time getting into town before 5PM most days. So my desire to support the local merchants is not a factor, as they have chosen to close by 6PM. When I can be in town before 6PM, they get my money. If I have to shop after 6PM, I head to Wal-Mart, because it's all that's open and I need something.

Sort of hard to "take a stand" against Wal-Mart when our local businesses won't even be open for us to give them our business. That being said, I buy everything I can at the Ponderay Co-op since they have at least decent hours and they've always been there for us when we need seasoned advice. So we will wait and go shopping for that sort of stuff when we know the Co-Op is open.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:36 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
For a long time Sandpoint had nothing as far as big stores. This meant people often had to travel an hour at least to Coeur d' Alene or 2 hrs. to Spokane to do shopping. We have lots of tiny expensive stores but that is not practical with day to day life for most. Then a Kmart was built and there was a whole lot of controvery over building it. Once built it got a lot of business. Then came our super Wal-Mart and Kmart could not keep up and ended up going out of business. Despite the many things I do not like about our Wal-Mart, it is a place people can do and do one-stop shopping. I can get my prescriptions, the new DVD I want, and do some food shopping in one place at a good price. I guess it is one of those necessary evils. It is built more on the outer edge of town and isn't really an issue where it is. Wal-Mart is always busy here.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I hate Wal-Mart and everything it stands for. I love that bumper sticker that says something about "cheap chinese crap".

However, I have a tough time getting into town before 5PM most days. So my desire to support the local merchants is not a factor, as they have chosen to close by 6PM. When I can be in town before 6PM, they get my money. If I have to shop after 6PM, I head to Wal-Mart, because it's all that's open and I need something.

Sort of hard to "take a stand" against Wal-Mart when our local businesses won't even be open for us to give them our business. That being said, I buy everything I can at the Ponderay Co-op since they have at least decent hours and they've always been there for us when we need seasoned advice. So we will wait and go shopping for that sort of stuff when we know the Co-Op is open.
I agree with you 100 percent on the open hours issue, kind of hard to keep business local when the local stores are closed. As to the co-op, I like the store, they have a good mix of products for the rural property owner. I shop there pretty frequently. However, they pay very poorly, even for people that have been there quite some time. The wife worked there too for a while.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,748 times
I live on a small retirement income. While I understand why Wal-Mart can be hard on small, local businesses, I shop for such things as food at the store in Ponderay to stay within my budget. Believe me, I shop carefully. Let me give you an example from today:

I have fallen in love with Keeblers new Sandies Shortbread cookies with Dark Chocolate and Almonds. At the Sandpoint Safeway (which has served this community since the 1930s), a package of the cookies is $4.59. They are $2.98 at Wal-Mart. That's not even close! Other items have differences that are like this. Incidentally, Keeblers are not from China!

I do agree with Sage. I shop locally-owned shops whenever I can to support my local merchants and economy. The selection is often much smaller in the local stores and, frankly, service is often no better than Wal-Mart. And, by the way, things purchased from locally-owned stores also come from China more often than not. It's not an exclusive Wal-Mart thing.

As to the pay structure, I feel this way: When you are offered any job (like at Wal-Mart), you know what you will be paid going in. If it is too little, don't waste your time. Say "no thank you" and look for a job with higher pay.

I know. Wal-Mart could pay more, allow employees a 40-hour work week and provide outstanding benefits. No question. But, I wonder what my cookies would cost if that was the case!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM

148 posts, read 501,404 times
I don't understand the beef people have with wal-mart. It provides services and products at reasonable prices. There wages are similar with mom and pop stores. I too shop at local stores when possible but the above example on cookie prices is all to common. It seems that the people who have a beef with wal mart will shop at home depot, lowes, best buy, etc. and not have a problem. Just my two cents.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:45 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Dave, my issues with Wal-Mart are their business methods which IMO are contrary to a good rapport with a community, undermines American workers (yes, I know there are lots of places getting stuff cheap from China), and taking every legal shortcut to sidestep being a good employer.

LOTS of things are legal in business. Many of them are downright reprehensible, and that's Wal-mart in a nutshell...

Old 03-16-2009, 04:48 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander dave View Post
I don't understand the beef people have with wal-mart. It provides services and products at reasonable prices. There wages are similar with mom and pop stores. I too shop at local stores when possible but the above example on cookie prices is all to common. It seems that the people who have a beef with wal mart will shop at home depot, lowes, best buy, etc. and not have a problem. Just my two cents.
You could write books about the problems of and about Walmart (and people have).

I'll be concise and just say that Walmart (and all mass chain retailers, really) kill local small business and consolidates capital into a few huge corporations.

It's a value judgment of where we send our dollars. I'd rather give it to the family down the street than same suit elsewhere making a few billion a year.

I haven't been in a Walmart in 15 years, and don't plan on ever going to one, convenience be damned.

I'll always try to shop local, and if not, then employee owned businesses like Les Schwab and Winco.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Les Schwab...
Now that company rocks.

They fixed my flat tire for free in Moscow last year.
I almost need a new set of tires on my truck.
I am going to gamble with the ones that are on it and when we make it to Emmett that will be my first Big purchase in Idaho.
A new set of Les Schawb installed tires.
I owe them for fixing me up last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho