Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:22 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,795,505 times

Advertisements

SP is 45 miles almost due north of CdA. Many of us "Sandpointians" aren't right in Sandpoint city though....Sagle, Ponderay, Kootenai, Dover, and other "quasi-suburbs" where Sandpoint is our "town" to buy groceries, go to dinner, go shopping, dry cleaners, church, etc, but we live 2-10 miles in a radius around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 33,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
No...that was Hayden Lake (by CdA) or Bonner's Ferry (Ruby Ridge). Sandpoint got a bad rap because Mark Furhman was going to retire there and the race card was played by OJ's lawyers.
Well, Sandpoint does have a couple Klan/neo-Nazi churches, but they don't wear uniforms and march downtown like the group in Hayden/CDA. They're there, but it doesn't affect the spirit of the town, imo.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,539 times
Default Cataldo, Rose Lake

You might want to look at Cataldo, ID and the Rose Lake area. You can get acerage and be a short drive from either Coeur d'Alene or Wallace. I live in downtown CDA, which is quaint, but the new built environment of the area isn't. It is cookie-cutter subdivisions just like you find in Anywhere USA. Wallace has a great Old West downtown. I'd live in one of the old Victorians there if it wasn't for my husband needing to be within 20 minutes of the hospital in Coeur d'Alene.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:18 PM

218 posts, read 1,483,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
I will be watching to see if you get a response - for I am in search also
leaving this smog ridden sity of Phoenix of workaholics - who do not and can not enjoy this beautiful land, air that was given to us freely
a garden - oh to have a garden again - we are heading up to Idaho Falls, Coeur d'alene and Billings this summer to explore - they say the air quality is much better according to the air quality info on the web.
Good Luck - see you there...
If you're just looking for a slower pace, you could checkout Tucson, about an hour & a half southeast of PHX. If you're looking for better air quality, North Idaho is great in the summer - Winter, however, is a whole different matter - too many wood stoves burning 24/7 - really browns the air.

I lived in the CD'A Mining District of Shoshone County 18+ years, also lived some 16+ years in the hustle-bustle of Dallas, TX, and now in Tucson some 7+ years (although I am fighting Valley Fever right now). Tucson is much slower life pace than PHX or Dallas, both of which I visit often, so still know the 'city' squeeze first hand.

The wages in North Idaho are definitely lower than here in Tucson. However, beauty does not compare - I'm glad to be in Tucson - But I'd still go back in a New York Minute to North Idaho!

I hope you get to make the move & it works out well for you!
Best of Luck to you - removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-13-2007 at 04:06 AM..

Old 04-08-2007, 06:25 PM

218 posts, read 1,483,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownCDA View Post
You might want to look at Cataldo, ID and the Rose Lake area. You can get acerage and be a short drive from either Coeur d'Alene or Wallace. I live in downtown CDA, which is quaint, but the new built environment of the area isn't. It is cookie-cutter subdivisions just like you find in Anywhere USA. Wallace has a great Old West downtown. I'd live in one of the old Victorians there if it wasn't for my husband needing to be within 20 minutes of the hospital in Coeur d'Alene.
I agree whole-heartedly! Have family in the 'chain lakes' area (Rose Lake, Kilarney Lake, etc) and it is amazing! I lived only 2 miles outside of Wallace for 18+ years. Lots of folks commute to CD'A from the Silver Valley (Wallace area), and I know many of them.
Highly recommend removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-13-2007 at 04:05 AM..

Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 PM

23 posts, read 107,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarl_Cabot View Post
Well, Sandpoint does have a couple Klan/neo-Nazi churches, but they don't wear uniforms and march downtown like the group in Hayden/CDA. They're there, but it doesn't affect the spirit of the town, imo.
I have never seen them, almost 10 years now.

I think Cocolalla is a nice place. No real town there, just lake side and country/horses. Homes/Rentals are still reasonable compared to Sandpoint. Cocolalla is 15 min south of Sandpoint, Coeur d' alene is about 35-40 min south from Sandpoint.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 PM

13 posts, read 256,795 times
This is the first time I have written or responded to a post so I hope I do this right.

My sister moved to St. Maries, ID, from Colorado in 2003, and has loved living there. St. Maries is a small community about 50 miles from Coeur d'Alene, but it has a hospital, two grocery stores, a pharmacy and some other businesses, including an Ace Hardware. My husband and I spent several weeks there in both the winter and the summer. We thought the winter was too cold, but loved the summer. It is really beautiful there and if it weren't so far from Florida (where we live), I would want to spend summers there.

My sister is getting ready to RV full time and is selling her house, which is across the street from the St. Joe River. I am not sure how much property she has, but there are fruit trees, berries, and a garden patch.

My brother lives in Coeur d'Alene and likes it there.

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,960 times
What about ATHOL? Very small, close to everything but in the boonies. I have family there but have not been there in years. Good Luck

Old 05-19-2007, 11:16 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,962,656 times
Default Many options....do your research

Grettings: In reply to the "small town". Rathdrum is a growing area as well as the area to the north up to Old Town.
I have lived off and on in Northern Idaho for 25 years and have seen it go from a "small town atmosphere" to sprawling, growing and groaning city.

Go online and find all the places on the map. Research them.
But nothing is better than just "getting into the area" and then drive around and live in the area for a while.

Kingston and Pinehurst and "Kellogg" are growing now.
Kellogg is home of the "famous" Dave Smith auto dealer. Yes in Kellogg Idaho.
People come from 1000's of miles to buy there. Can't get a better deal anywhere. Just got my new Dodge truck to Move to New Mexico because I can't afford to buy what I want here....
Looking for a little warmer winter too.
But, Northern Idaho is wonderful and Excellent medical facilities in CDA.

North to Bonners Ferry is another area I would consider if I were looking to live around here.

Good luck,
Happy trails.
Hunter

Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,011 times
Idaho Senior Member had a great idea for Countrylv22 !!! Or go south to Idaho Falls area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho