U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,146,640 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to plant bamboo at our new home, and am finding plenty of varieties which are fine to -20, but have been told it gets as cold as -30 and would hate to see my garden perish once established. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,970,446 times
I have experience with bamboo called Beautiful Bamboo and Black Bamboo here in Boise and it has done well but then the Treasure Valley is not as cold as the Upper Snake River Valley during Winter. There are several homes in my neighborhood with areas of bamboo planted in contained areas in back yards, and most greenhouses here sell varieties of bamboo.
My older sister has some bamboo she has planted in large planters in her back yard in I.F. and the bamboo has done well because she moves, with some help of course, the planters near the back of her house during winter
I can't remember the variety she has so I will have to find out.
Which variety are you looking at and at which greenhouse in Idaho Falls?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 PM

4,958 posts, read 16,993,533 times
I have a client that used to work at Town & Country and knows her stuff, I expect to see her tomorrow afternoon and will ask her thoughts.

I have Bamboo sitting in my kitchen window

Old 04-01-2009, 10:08 PM

Thank you guys! I've been sorting through conflicting info, for example a bamboo specialty nursery who wrote to say no way, can't grow bamboo here, and then numerous articles about growing successfully in places like Minnesota....don't have the variety names handy, but I do have a call in to the groundskeeper at the zoo, since I noticed bamboo growing there. Seems how well one protects the bamboo in the winter as well as placement in the garden are big factors. Any further info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 PM

Planters might end up being the way to go, but I was kind of hoping to use it as a privacy screen and to rely on flood irrigating, because I'm lazy and don't have a long enough hose ; )

Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 6,619,072 times
Bamboo, several sorts, does well here in No. Arizona and we get snow and freeze...although not 30-below stuff. I have Heavenly bamboo out by my pond and many of my neighbors have the big, tall stuff growing as privacy screens. It seems to look sort of dormant in the winter but leaps back to green each spring. Be careful where you plant it, though, as it takes over like a plague!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Bamboo, several sorts, does well here in No. Arizona and we get snow and freeze...although not 30-below stuff. I have Heavenly bamboo out by my pond and many of my neighbors have the big, tall stuff growing as privacy screens. It seems to look sort of dormant in the winter but leaps back to green each spring. Be careful where you plant it, though, as it takes over like a plague!
Exactly why I am only looking at clumping varieties, I have good relationships with my neighbors and hope to keep it that way!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:45 AM

Why not get a bunch of Lilacs going? They do provide a good privacy screen and grow extremely well in our neck of the woods. About the only thing that runs a close second to it is quack grass

Old 04-04-2009, 06:04 PM

cleosmom, you are just going to have to come visit. I do have several 100 yo lilacs - but had not thought about planting more. That is a great idea! Here is what Kathy at Horseshoe near Boise had to say:
Hi,
We do have some customers who have bamboo growing in the McCall area, which also gets that cold. However, it does not get as big or spread very fast and most of the leaves turn brown over the winter. Yellow Groove, Nuda, and Bissitti are your best choices. I would plant a couple and try them for a season, before I would invest much in them. They should live and grow, but may not give you the look you want.
Kathy
Horseshoe Nursery

I was reading about the polar ice caps melting way ahead of schedule, and, optimist that I am, was wondering if this won't change the bamboo game in my favor!

Old 04-05-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I was reading about the polar ice caps melting way ahead of schedule, and, optimist that I am, was wondering if this won't change the bamboo game in my favor!
Ummm, have you not noticed we're still in "winter" around here? Actually looks like we might get a day or two of Spring this week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho