Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times

Advertisements

What a cool thread THIS one is!
There are so many forums on city data with threads and discussion that borders on ugly and ends with juvenile behavior, like the politics forum, for instance.

Giving credit where credit is due; giving someone a high five for a good post! I love it! Will be looking in on this thread from time to time.

Good job Mtn. States Resident!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
There are so many forums on city data with threads and discussion that borders on ugly and ends with juvenile behavior, like the politics forum, for instance.

Giving credit where credit is due; giving someone a high five for a good post! I love it! Will be looking in on this thread from time to time.

Double H, thanks for popping in on us, you're welcome anytime We appreciate guests from a "neighboring" Rocky Mtn state anytime.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Thumbs up Pimit2 - Bob - I Congratulate You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Thanks, DOUBLE H., both for posting here and your other message to me.

WOW - Cleosmom you think you felt overwhelmed, I was dumbfounded at the notes left for me. Clearly, many have been looking for something like this. It doesn't have to be limited to Idaho. Good people helping others at CDF should be rewarded somehow.

I think it is great that DOUBLE H and others I've "met" here at CDF on other, non-state (or specific location) threads, will now have the opportunity to learn more about some of my other great friends in the Idaho forum.

Pimit2- Bob, you were actually the next person I wanted to Congratulate. I was surprised to see your posts prior to my ability to post again here. I apologize in advance if my words seem intrusive or allow too many people to know more about you. I plan to word my remarks so you can tell more of your own journey, if you wish, or not.

For those who haven't had the moving experience of reading some of Bob's last five or so years, I'd encourage you to read his posts. I especially remember some posted around Christmas 2008.

The way you express your joint venture with your beloved wife looking for the right place in ID for the two of you to move after retirement brought tears to my eyes. Your posts speak volumes for the years the two of you had together and what you both valued.

Very honestly, I've been surprised how much you have to give us "regulars" here and the visitors. Not everyone can find a way to help while living their dreams differently than originally planned. I admire your gentle posts to those a bit more timid and you ability to wonder along with the rest of us about DESERT RYDER and his exposure to the sun, given some of his jokes (J/K DESERT RYDER - your day will come here). Your ability to joke with those who understand your humor is delightful.

Bob, you seem to sense who needs what and how to best meet that need. I try to read your posts when I see a new one as I know I won't be wasting my time and I know you often you speak words of experience to others.

Thanks for jumping in here and expanding the discussion. It seems that all who have posted seem to have understood what I hoped this thread could become. I look forward to more posts and learning more about all of you.

Bob, I Congratulate YOU on your attitude about life and helping others. Many wouldn't be as positive or even see a reason to try to help others. You, sir, have my respect. Thanks for being such a positive person finding good in others here.

Thanks everyone for your posts on this thread to date. I enjoyed reading them. Please feel free to continue to post here, or write about this on your own page about yourself so your friends/contacts and others may visit if they wish. No one says the same type of thread couldn't be started in each state.

And thank you Sage for "helping" us to remember most of us were taught manners. Sometimes, some of us just need a little guidance.

MSR

Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,174 times
Default I Love City-Data.com

Decisions, decisions. Do I watch CNN or Fox News? Should I have the leftover beef stew for dinner, or should I chop up a sensible chef salad? Each of us have had - and will continue to have - choices in life. Simple choices like what to watch on TV, and the more difficult choices that could be life-changing.

I liken it to forks in the road. Do we go left, or do we go right? The human animal has the power to reason, the ability to weigh the pros and cons and arrive at a conclusion. Our choice may take us down a fine, smooth roadway, or one filled with bumps and potholes, treacherous turns, a washed-out bridge or even a dead end.

I can assure you that I would never come to you getting your opinion about what I should have for dinner. That’s an inquiry I’m able to sort out by myself! A wise man, however, will seek advice from knowledgeable others when baffled, unsure or curious. Have questions? Seek those with experience for answers. Most of us love to give advice and answer questions. That’s a major function of this remarkable Forum.

I’m a full-time webmaster and a part-time blogger. What can I say? Retirement didn’t keep me busy enough! I spend a good part of every day in front of my computer and have visited and judged (I'm 71, so I have the right to judge) literally hundreds of forums on the Internet. I have joined only two forums, and this one is my favorite. I particularly like to see inquiries about this and that from those who are thinking about relocating to Idaho. Hey, these questions are from folks who are at one of life’s forks in the road. We have an obligation, in my view, to let them know whether Idaho will meet their needs. That’s a big obligation and I think we do a darn good job at it.

I congratulate each of you who participate.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times
Bob ROCKS!!! He found out I wanted to try my hand at fly fishing when we get moved to our place in NID.. Out of the blue he says he wants to send me some hand tied flies that will work in my area.. I was sort of blown away, and when I got them I was REALLY blown a away!! He sent me a GREAT assortment of flies, in a cool carrying case..
You dont find people like Bob everyday, and I really look forward to spending some time with him on a river.. Im sure there is much he can teach me, and not just about fishing..

Congrats Bob!!!! We are lucky to have you here!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:02 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Props to all those who make this (with intention) a place for civil discourse...a rare place where we can agree to disagree and still keep minds open. So uncommon that I feel both distress and empathy for other state blogs. If the blog is special it is because of the special cut of people making it so. This blog is the cyber equivalent of a comfy down home diner...

I would also like to give special kudos to Sage. To have such an even keeled outlook after a career in law enforcement of chasing bad guys and doing the work that is vastly underappreciated is a true testament to character.

Like Idaho, this board is what we will make of it. May we continue upholding a high standard.

S.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:55 PM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
I do admit that I have been exposed to much more than the sun.
It took years of practice to fry this many brain cells
Now that I think I am of sound mind and spirit I look to this web site every night and enjoy reading all about Idaho.
After 35 years with my company my time grows close for retirement.
Having 2 kids under 11 years old at the same time reminds me of why we choose to move to a new place with many new adventures waiting for us.
The stories and advice from this particular website gives my family hope that we can succeed in Southern Idaho.
My wife and kids love the idea of relocating to Emmett and I can only hope that my additions to the stories here help some other family as they grapple with the task of relocating.
Keep the information coming. It is beyond helpfull to us dreamers.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Thank you for the kind words, folks, and for making MY life as a mod much easier. I often feel like the proud parent whose kids are all graduating with honors from Harvard (if that makes sense) when I go read some other state forums where people are just constantly vile to each other just because they can...and God forbid I verge into the P&OC forum....even as a guy who used to thrive on conflict, it's just such senseless ugliness....makes me happy to "come home" to Idaho's forum, like how I feel after a trip to visit friends in Los Angeles but I want to get home to Idaho.

I am grateful for so many of you who challenge my intellect with your deep insight and logical minds, to those of you who are such a vast wealth of information ( I don't know HOW some of you have time to dig up so much data to offer but I'm happy you do), those of you who bring levity, graciousness, humility, and warmth to this forum. I even like that we have the "grumpy pessimistic uncle" show up from time to time and remind us that life is a balance of positives and negatives but we choose where to focus our thoughts.

I used to help mod several forums. Since finding myself wanting to check CDF when I wake up to see what y'all are talking about, and wanting to check CDF before I got to bed (and often during the day in between) I realized that the draw of this place is the people like all of you who make it what it is, CDF is about the only forum I care to mod these days as it's where I want to spend my time. And for that I am just very thankful.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

SO, to all you wonderful parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles and responsible adults who have had a newborn at your house in the last 10 years or so, what great tips would you like to share with IFGuy? What helped you with a newborn that possibly isn't written in a book?

What are your best tips for a newborn? Do you play soft music so the baby sleeps or what has worked at your house?

Also, what does a new mom appreciate the most from a new dad who works full-time? What helps the most.......having him go ahead and wash the dishes or vacuum without being asked? Or telling mom he'll be responsible so she can spend time on herself etc?

MSR
As a parent who has 4 kids between 13 and 18, I remember the excitement of starting a family....followed shortly thereafter by sleep deprivation.

One of my tips to you is that it's OK to let a baby cry. And shooting headphones (or earplugs) are your best friend. When my daughters would get fussy (or slightly colicky) I remember we would almost become frantic trying to find a way to get them to stop crying. But it times, they are just going to cry. The best thing YOU can do is put on your iPod (under your shooting headphones) with books on MP3, and just hold your baby. You don't stress out, and the baby still gets your attention as you walk 35 miles up and down the hallways in your house.

I am also a big believer in letting them cry it out in bed. Babies will cry when they have a need (hungry, gassy, poopy, etc) but they will also cry to get your attention. Since it's not cognitive it's more of a stimulus response. They cry, someone will come pay attention to them.

If you put your child in the crib, and they cry, check the obvious things. Are they hungry, do they need to be changed, are they needing to be burped, etc. If all is well on that front, let them cry. They may cry for an hour the first night, and your wife will feel wretched like she should go comfort your baby. But the baby needs to learn (like a myriad of other things) that when the lights go out and the adult-voices go quiet, it's time to sleep. If they cry a lot, go check on them and make sure that the "big 3" aren't an issue, and then put them back down for sleep. My brother's kids are 10+, and WILL NOT go to bed without BOTH parents trying for 60-90 minutes to get them to bed. I couldn't live like that, but it's a learned response and they did this to themselves.

Also, and I understand that there are two distinct sides of this issue, let them sleep. If your baby likes to sleep, let your wife get rest too. Waking a baby up to feed them never made sense to me unless the baby is obviously failing to thrive and gain weight, etc. Then of course you want to do that. But at right around 12-14 pounds, your baby will probably start to sleep about 6+ hours at a stretch. This is VALUABLE sleep time for your wife (and probably you too).

As to the best things you can do for your wife, here are my thoughts:

1) Schedule as few outside activities as possible during the first few months. Your wife is now your hobby. Guy friends should respect that you're taking care of your wife's needs, or they're not the best of friends. Make it a point to get your wife 4-5 hour naps. If she's only sleeping 2-3 hours at a stretch, she's not getting enough REM sleep and she will feel worn out, depressed, overwrought, etc. So even if she's breast feeding, have her express milk so that YOU can do a feeding which should allow her to get at least 5-7 hours of sleep at least once every 24 hours.

2) Make your wife feel pretty. She's spent the last couple months feeling like a whale. Even while you're not "intimate", it would be great to get her out to have her hair done, nails done, pedicure, etc. It's a small price to pay, and she'll really feel good about herself. By helping your wife to be happy and contented, you know you're helping yourself too, since every time in your marriage one of you needs to be propped up and the other person "steps up", it further pulls you together in trust and mutual appreciation.

There's my $.02...

Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 PM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
1) Schedule as few outside activities as possible during the first few months. Your wife is now your hobby. Guy friends should respect that you're taking care of your wife's needs, or they're not the best of friends. Make it a point to get your wife 4-5 hour naps. If she's only sleeping 2-3 hours at a stretch, she's not getting enough REM sleep and she will feel worn out, depressed, overwrought, etc. So even if she's breast feeding, have her express milk so that YOU can do a feeding which should allow her to get at least 5-7 hours of sleep at least once every 24 hours.

2) Make your wife feel pretty. She's spent the last couple months feeling like a whale. Even while you're not "intimate", it would be great to get her out to have her hair done, nails done, pedicure, etc. It's a small price to pay, and she'll really feel good about herself. By helping your wife to be happy and contented, you know you're helping yourself too, since every time in your marriage one of you needs to be propped up and the other person "steps up", it further pulls you together in trust and mutual appreciation.

There's my $.02...
So what your telling me is I really Screwed up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho